Picture Show (A thread for interesting photos from the world of movies and TV)*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JozefK, Sep 15, 2015.

1. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Quadboy and SandAndGlass like this.
  2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

A triple today. First, from the set of the 1964 Michael Caine film Zulu:
    [​IMG]

And Dustin Hoffman in the pool (on the far right) during the shoot for The Graduate:
    [​IMG]

and Steven Spielberg and a big Louma Crane during the 1984 shoot for Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom...
    [​IMG]

"Chilled monkey brains!"

[All photos courtesy Michael Shaughan Flynn on Facebook.]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
  3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

One more, and it's a biggie: director Orson Welles and ace cameraman Gregg Toland on the set of Citizen Kane at RKO in 1941...

[​IMG]

[photo courtesy Michael Shaughan Flynn on Facebook.]

4. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

Honeymoon - 1940

[​IMG]

jerol

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Wow, here's a 1939 shot of cameraman Ernest Haller shooting a scene with Vivien Leigh from Gone with the Wind. Note the gigantic 3-strip Technicolor camera on the left...

[​IMG]
    [courtesy Behind the Clapperboard on Facebook]

6. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

7. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I met Jerry too, some years back at a showing of the movie. Have some photos.

dewey02 likes this.
  8. SandAndGlass

Seeing the old cars in the background really sets this photo apart.

9. SandAndGlass

It's funny when you see that people actually talked through megaphones, before speaker's and amplifier's.

smilin ed likes this.
  10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Here's a whole bunch of photos taken on the set of the 1960s CBS-TV series Lassie...

I believe this is Jon Provost as "Timmy" at a fairly young age, and the crew has a Mitchell BNC camera and a J.L. Fisher mic boom. Note the fill light off to the left side.
    [​IMG]

And this one I think is shot in Chatsworth up near Rocky Point, with a whole buncha reflectors and an older Mitchell camera (possibly even a silent one) on the right...
    [​IMG]

and here's Jon Provost way up on a camera platform in the same area...
    [​IMG]

and a different angle of what he's probably looking at, a truck precariously perched on the edge of a cliff (no doubt carefully held with hidden cables and iron bars by the special effects crew)...
    [​IMG]

and finally, one of the classic Lassie visuals (repeated many times in the series) where the dog had to jump through a window while a house was on fire. You see here all they really built was one wall and enough of the interior to see through it, and you'd believe the illusion that an entire house was there. Note the propane tanks in the foreground used to provide fuel for the fire, which could be instantly turned off if things got out of hand.
    [​IMG]

[pictures courtesy of Terry Wilkie on the Randy West Appreciation Group on Facebook]

11. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident Thread Starter

SandAndGlass and Vidiot like this.
  12. SandAndGlass

All "Lassie's" were also male dogs.

13. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

SandAndGlass likes this.
  14. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

Derek Slazenger and SandAndGlass like this.
  15. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Brazil
    39 Steps
    Dark Passage
    The Alamo
    in Cold Blood

Al Kuenster and Jazzmonkie like this.
  16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Nowadays, they would be non-binary dogs. :eek:

Meanwhile, here's a picture from the set of the Mary Tyler Moore Show, I think from around 1970-1971 or so in her original apartment set. I'm only counting three Panavision BNCR cameras, but not long afterwards they switched to four cameras, as did almost every film sitcom in Hollywood.

[​IMG]

Shows like this in that era used "hard lights" (like the Mole-Richardson 2Ks visible), but nowadays, they do a lot more soft lighting instead to flatter the actors. Note the use of flags and cutters (solid cloth or wood panels) to create shadows on the backgrounds. Lighting these shows was very complicated, because the actors had to look good from any actor on 3 or 4 cameras at the same time, which is usually not done in TV or motion pictures. Usually, an actor is lit from one camera angle at a time and then the lights are adjusted when they change camera angles; they don't have this luxury in multicam TV or film.

I think the man in the lower right is director Jay Sandrich, but I'm not 100% sure. Mr. Sandrich did tons and tons and tons of sitcoms in the 1970s and 1980s, one of the most successful TV directors in history.

17. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

No Static, SandAndGlass and Old Rusty like this.
  18. Alan G.

Alan G. Forum Resident

Is that Charles Laughton with the Realist stereo camera?

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  19. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Sam is in Kris' chair!

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  20. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Yup.

Alan G. and SandAndGlass like this.
  21. drmark7

drmark7 Forum Resident

I suppose this has been covered before... but it would be nice to have captions with every picture, rather than having to ask "Is that...?" Anyway, this is still a great thread I've looked at many times. What I wonder... 50 years from now... could we ever see photos of movie and tv sets and other such gatherings with such a diverse combinations of ***STARS***!!!???

22. JozefK

A very rare photo of Paul Douglas shooting the Twilight Zone episode "The Mighty Casey" at Wrigley Field in L.A. (yes, there was a Wrigley Field in L.A). Douglas looked very ill and haggard in the footage, and died soon after filming. Rod Serling decided to reshoot, at his own expense, with Jack Warden in Douglas' role.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Wait Until Dark
    Charles Laughton having a laugh
    Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid
    The Killers
    The Cheyenne Social Club

SandAndGlass and Jazzmonkie like this.
  24. SandAndGlass

It has been brought up before. After giving the matter some thought, I came up with an idea, which I feel is workable.

On one hand, it is nice to try to guess who is in the photos. On the other hand, so many movies, so many movie stars, so many years, with many photos from a long time ago.

So, how about putting the captions inside a "spoiler" box?

One click and all is revealed.

VU Master likes this.
  25. JozefK

Fritz Lang's Die Nibelungen: Siegfried (1924)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]