Pig (new Nicolas Cage movie)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by kwadguy, Jul 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

i was completely surprised by this film. I hadn't seen this thread so I was going in blind. great script and every scene was noteworthy. I really liked the nod to David Lynch, as I saw it, in the underground scenes.

2. geetar_await

geetar_await I heart Linux.

This film was listed on one of the streaming services I have; based on the reviews here, I'll have to plunk down a couple bucks to watch. I dislike theaters.

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

we watched Pig...over-rated...when critics love it it's a danger sign!!!! and WARNING!!!! ..we love Nic Cage, but this did not float our boat...4/10

4. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

We're not critics, and we quite liked it. Not my favorite film of the year, but it'll definitely go on my top 10.

Dillydipper, ex_mixer and unclefred like this.
  5. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

Thanks for the heads up. I have a few of his recent films to watch now, including MANDY and COLOUR OUT OF SPACE

6. Michael

We're??? who said you were a critic or anyone else in this thread? please don't put words in my posts...I'm talking the known critics ya know the ones who do that for a living... Glad you enjoyed the movie. I'm glad I watched as I love Nic Cage...

7. Chris DeVoe

I was just offering the perspective of somebody who is not a film critic, yet quite liked this film.

I will admit that I am quite annoyed at the "common wisdom" that Nicolas Cage is a terrible actor. I think he's an actor who gives 100% to a role, and sometimes that's misused by the director.

8. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I get where you’re coming from though….I usually run from films the professional critics like. For whatever reason, most of them just don’t resonate with me. But that preview seems intriguing.

Michael likes this.
  9. unclefred

I thought Adam Arkin added a big piece to the film. I think the casual viewer could easily miss some of the subtleties in the picture.

10. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

NOT THE PORK! NOT THE PORK!

unclefred likes this.
  11. Michael

If you didn't see it don't use my disdain to not...let me know what you think!

Jrr likes this.
  12. Michael

That's not what I read in your post to me...but, it's over...I agree; we love Nic and I feel the same way you do...I do not like the way people constantly put him down as well...he's a good actor that always entertains my wife and myself...

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  13. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Watched this at home tonight. I thought it was very good, and my wife thought it was great. Glad the word of mouth around this got us interested, because from the description alone we would never have considered watching it.

ex_mixer, unclefred and Chris DeVoe like this.
  14. Bruce Racket

Bruce Racket Forum Resident

A terribly sad movie about dealing with loss. I thought it was well done and Cage did a good job in it.

ex_mixer, brownie61 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  15. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Good movie

16. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

I enjoyed it quite a bit, but felt the whole "Underground Fight Club" sequence was not needed AT ALL. I would have preferred if we spent a little more time with that whole Truffle Hunters crowd.

7.5/10

17. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Well to be fair...it's really not about a pig. It's a completely different story which involves a person who is concerned for a pig.

I'd definitely put it into my Top Ten of this year, primarily for how surprised and delighted I was about it, coming into it cold.

rockerreds, Chris DeVoe and captouch like this.
  18. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

The 'Fight Club' thing didn't make any sense

19. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

The "Fight Club" had more to do with establishing another character than anything relating to the plot. Something interesting and random related to another piece of the puzzle. And, shows what Cage had to do - and was willing to do, for information.

Anybody remember in WarGames, when Ally Sheedy visits Matthew Broderick at dinnertime, and they spend all that time showing how the dad butters his corn? Just another random bit that has nothing to do with nothing except narrative.

unclefred and Chris DeVoe like this.
  20. MekkaGodzilla

I honestly feel that sometimes a film-maker will forcibly insert a sequence into a film just because it has been kicking around in their mind for years, regardless of whether or not it actually helps the film's narrative.

21. Chris DeVoe

I thought it seemed extreme, but then I remembered the time I spent in a kitchen, and the friends of mine who cook professionally.

It's an extreme environment, ridiculously high pressure, using dangerous tools. A good percentage of the things that they use every single day could kill them. It's not a question of if you're going to get cut or burned, it's solely a matter of when.

So I don't see it at all out of the realm of possibility that they relax in extreme ways.

22. MekkaGodzilla

I also would have objected to an extraneous scene with them all at an extreme subterranean spa resort, but that's just me. :shrug:

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  23. unclefred

I can imagine people going into the Portland underground just to get away from what the above ground has become.

struttincool likes this.
  24. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

I see it's on Hulu so maybe I will watch it tonight.

25. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I thought that `Pig' showed a lot of promise initially but eventually ran
    out of steam. I lost interest in it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.