Pink Floyd - Animals Deluxe Edition: (2018 remix Released Sept 2022)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Jun 30, 2022.

1. mooncusser2k

mooncusser2k "Oink, Oink, Woof, Woof, Baaaaa."

Perhaps AS would check out the replacement disc for you before sending? If you're up for doing that and not opening it yourself. Couldn't hurt to ask.

childerikov and Sedwards like this.
  2. StingRay5

StingRay5 Important Impresario

I've heard of that. They scratch the records and rub dust into the grooves to make them sound 50 years old, even if the album just came out last week.

1@aTime and Sedwards like this.
  3. Sedwards

Sedwards Hyperactive!

Good idea! I think I've earned it - gonna ask!

sound chaser likes this.
  4. MarcTheMusician

MarcTheMusician Forum Heretic and Beatle Lover

I went to my record shop and they only had the BluRay. I thought, why not. So I spent a day figuring how to hook my bluray to my hifi, and wow. This is obscene. So much damn clarity on every instrument. It's my first time using BluRay audio and I'm not disappointed.

5. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

i just heard Dogs on the 5.1 bluray.

got the sacd and vinyl coming in the mail.

3 issues with the mix. 1 with the sound.

1.during the verses everything sounds too busy. cant really see the individual instruments.
    2. the dual guitars part is a missed opportunity for not putting them in the rear speakers. guess guthrie dont like gimmicks.
    3. the very end is also very much stereo with nothing happening in the rears.

the sound is a bit compressed. i mean yes its dynamic. you have to turn the volume up a lot to make loud. but still the high hat and drums sound compressed to me. im hoping when i get the sacd it will sound smoother...sacd normally sounds better in my system.

the good things about the mix..
    1. the very beginning you can hear the guitars first come in through the rear speakers thats a nice touch.
    2. the middle breakdown solo part sound wonderful and clear. you can hear every instrument intimately.
    3. the middle keyboard break is actually entertaining now. with different sections in itself! before on the stereo mix it was time to go get a drink or bathroom break. but in the 5.1 it has layers and meaning.

im about to listen to pigs and sheep now.

anth67 likes this.
  6. I simply bought the CD and i really love it. i want to try to compare it to my other versions but not had time yet. Impressed so far though

hi_watt likes this.
  7. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

ok i just heard pigs in 5.1.

a complete let down. the whole thing was basically stereo. nothing in the rears at all.

sheep is next

Edit: well sheep fares a lot better there is occasional use of the rears and in the 2 breakdown parts the sense of space is very eeirie and wide. the guitars at the end are in all 4 speakers. overall much better than Pigs. but still slight letdown here as well.

definitely most of the work went to dogs.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
  8. GregM

GregM The expanding man

The first song is just a guitar and vocals. No need to assign them to the surrounds.

9. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

I wasn’t that impressed with the SQ on the 5.1 version. Things sounded a bit dull. I do love the flourishes that appear but I feel like the CD version is just as good as a listening experience. Maybe better.

hi_watt and pinkrudy like this.
  10. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

the first song? pigs on the wing? i didnt even talk about those songs.
    i meant pigs "3 different ones" one of the main songs.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  11. I find it fascinating how varied some of the reviews here are. (as they should be, of course)
    Unfortunately I still haven't got access to the 5.1 mix, so I can only judge based on my own comparison of the 1977 mix vs. the 2018 stereo remix.

Out of curiosity, @pinkrudy:
    in your opinion, how did the middle keyboard section ("dragged down by the stone.." until before "gotta admit..") fare in the new 2018 stereo mix compared to the '77 baseline?

Was the 2018 stereo mix equally 'bathroom break time' for you?
    Or did some of the layers ('and meaning') you experienced in 5.1 find their way into the new stereo mix as well?

I'm asking because (for me) the 2018 stereo remix takes away some of the subdued motion of that section.
    Listening to the '77 mix, I always get a feel of injecting coloured paint into a translucent liquid and watching it slowly move; and shift with every beat of the bass drum.

Yes, listening to the new stereo mix adds clarity, definition, more nuance in the synth filter sweeps - and other welcome goodies. However, it doesn't retain that delicate feeling of slow movement of the original mix, like the wax in a lava lamp getting a little nudge on every beat of a funerial drum.

Pardon the dodgy way of describing this, but there's an almost synesthetic quality in the 'quieter' sections of Dogs (and Sheep too) that I kind of miss in the new stereo mix. The underlying vocoder/keys part sounds flatter to me, in spite of the synth solo (& other embellishments on top) being more 'fizzy' and well-defined.

~ ~ ~
    I am not aware if the main focus of this release was primarily the surround mix; and -secondarily- "let's also redo the stereo mix we've been complaining about, while we're at it".

Do we know which came first, so to speak? Did James first give the stereo remix a go? And then embarked on the multi-ch? Or vice versa?

In any case, I've only got the stereo remix for now. Once the Deluxe set arrives, the 5.1 mix may drastically change my outlook on this. Still, I think a stereo (re)mix should be regarded as the main course - whereas the 5.1 mix (or every surround mix) is a nice-to-have, niche experience that we will inevitably hear less often than the stereo. Until perhaps Atmos comes along and takes multi-ch to the mainstream. Or maybe not.
    /

JulesRules likes this.
  12. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

The 2018 stereo mix sounds fantastic on decent headphones. I did the Qobuz 192K 24 bit original followed by 2018 mix back to back a couple of days back and much prefer the 2018. One or two of the sound effects don’t sound quite right to me on the new mix, but apart from that I like the new mix.

I don’t have a 5.1 system set up at present, but am not surprised at some of the comments. Guthrie’s previous surround mixes of DSOTM and WYWH weren’t as adventurous as the original quad mixes.

13. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

I could be wrong, but looking at "internets" the standard US vinyl version comes with 32-page booklet while EU doesn't?

Anyone cares to confirm?
    Yikes!
    That's so disappointing.

Mine is due to arrive in the next few days. Given what I gathered from the internet, I already set my expectations to fck all.

Sedwards likes this.
  14. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

ive listened to the stereo remix on my small PC speakers only. so i cant judge it yet. im waiting for the vinyl to arrive. Im so deep into vinyl that i cant accurately comment on digital versions of an album. for stereo listening.
    when the vinyl arrives i will check back.

However if you find the middle keyboard interlude really compelling on the original stereo mix then i think you might even get the opposite effect as you did on the remix and maybe evev the 5.1 you will not find those qualities you described. for me that part always felt boring. so i have a higher chance of thinking the stereo remix is better when it arrives. as for the 5.1 to me all the changes were welcome and for me added much more depth. but might be the opposite for you.

i think the main focus was probably the stereo remix. that would be the product that will see the most sales. vinyl and CD sales are the biggest form of physical media right now. blu-ray (audio only) and sacd is more of a niche market in comparison. so they had to focus on stereo most imo....
    while deciding to remix the stereo is when i think they thought "lets just go all the way and do a 5.1 as well"

I agree 5.1 is very concentration based and draining. you basically have to stay in the sweet spot for an hour and you cant even turn your head really if you want to pick up all the tiny changes in the mix. This is a big limiting factor in the format and why it also didnt take off.

15. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Absolutely not. I have standard EU version. It includes the book.

“Yikes!” was an expression that was popular during the eighties and nineties.
    We are in 2022… :cool::cool:

DrZhivago likes this.
  16. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

Yikes.

17. coolsound

coolsound Forum Resident

Qobuz does not display the original mix, but the 2011, which is not bad, but not good compared to the 1986 CD. That’s the problem with streaming pop/rock music , they never have the good old mastering and sometimes only the most brickwalled commercialized by majors.

18. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

Thanks for confirming mate. Jolly good!

Regards

The Bishop and MHP like this.
  19. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

2011 is the original 1977 mix. So is 2016. Those are just remasterings and reissues (respectively) of the original 1977 mix.

The very first time a remix has been made available of Animals - minus the "Dogs" preview track - was the 2018 remix released one week ago... in 2022. ;)

20. Victor Martell

Victor Martell Forum Resident

The 2011, is the original 1977 mix, remastered that year.

v

21. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Yes please use period specific expressions, we are talking about a 1977 release here….

22. Josip

Josip Forum Resident

I'm on the fence on purchasing Blu Ray disk of the remix but it would be my first, so I have a question: I have DENON RCD-N9 CEOL RECEIVER/CD PLAYER and BD player.

What would be the best way to connect BD player to my DENON and would it then be possible to enjoy Blu Ray audio in all its glory?

Thank you!

23. coolsound

coolsound Forum Resident

Yes i was thinking « remaster » and it sounds reallyyy different from the 1986 CD.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  24. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

My thoughts as well. I think James Guthrie squandered an opportunity with his DSOTM and WYWH 5.1 mixes.

SteakandBlackOnions likes this.
  25. Terry

Terry Senior Member

I wonder what sales are for the new Animals.

J_D__ and PDK like this.