Pink Floyd - Animals Deluxe Edition: (2018 remix Released Sept 2022)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Jun 30, 2022.

1. Jumpin & Changin

Jumpin & Changin Forum Resident

Good catch. You are correct. The lossless streams are:
    2018 Remix 24bit-192kHz LPCM Stereo
    2018 Remix 24bit-96kHz LPCM 5.1
    1977 Original mix 24bit-192kHz LPCM Stereo

2018 Remix 24bit-96kHz DTS-MA Stereo
    2018 Remix 24bit-96kHz DTS-MA 5.1
    1977 Original mix 24bit-96kHz DTS-MA Stereo

Dinstun likes this.
  2. ...an album on the -original- sleeve of which his name doesn't even appear once.

Being a great admirer of Rick's sound and musical sensibility, I think I know where you're coming from, @Billy Infinity, with that comment. However, I don't believe Rick's co-production input was too substantial in this album. It depends on how one defines 'production', of course. There are many different schools of thought about that.

In so far as keyboard/synth arrangements and playing are concerned, then yes; those were very substantial indeed. There are several brilliant moments in Animals by Rick that, to this day, do not get the credit they deserve.

kendo, Starwanderer, ArpMoog and 3 others like this.
  3. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

JulesRules, ARK, everclear and 10 others like this.
  4. PDK

PDK Forum Resident

It's precisely the same mix/data.

I'm a Roger fan, but I have to agree.

If I were the author of this I would post it to the original Waters facebook thread.

That was great!

Nice articulation on the ego!

25 minutes is not bad at all for that much data.

JulesRules, St. Troy and Geordiepete like this.
  5. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

On discs!

JulesRules, ARK, zobalob and 4 others like this.
  6. (quoting from the article)

"Of Animals’ 20,000 copies sold in the week after its reissue, physical sales comprise 19,000 (8,500 on vinyl; 6,000 on CD; and 4,500 on other physical formats) and digital downloads comprise 1,000.

The 20,000 sum marks the band’s best sales week for any album since its final studio album, The Endless River, sold 29,000 copies in its seventh week of release, in the week ending Dec. 28, 2014. (The album sold in excess of 20,000 copies in each of its first seven weeks. It debuted with 179,000 sold.)"

Shouldn't be surprised, really, but it makes you realise just how vastly different it is to "top the charts" these days.

physical sales of 19,000:
    8,500 vinyl
    6,000 CD
    4,500 other

(wonder how many of those 8,500 have been returned already)

Right on!

7. mountainmaster

mountainmaster Forum Resident

Just wondering, but are replacement discs added to the sales figures? That would make the actual number of sold vinyl smaller.

Here is a weird coincidence: At the time of the original release in 1977 I remember returning my Animals LP to the store. It was unplayable due to bubbles in the vinyl. Apparently the store had received a bad batch since it took the owner a while to find a replacement without bubbles.
    Normally in a physical store I would have checked the vinyl before buying, but this time I was so excited that I forgot and just wanted to rush home to give it a spin.

8. Mr.eMO

Mr.eMO Forum Resident

Once you get they hang of it, it's not too bad. Here is my workflow:

Back-up to Harddrive with MakeMKV.
    Go into BDMV/stream and you will find the media files in the .m2ts format (called something like 0001.m2ts).

I used the freeware TSmuxer to separate out the audio I want. Drag the largest .m2ts file (that will be PCM) into TSmuxer. You can then select which audio track you want (5.1, 2018 stereo or 1977 stero). Select demux and you will get just the audio. You can also use this program to cut it into tracks with the split/cut function. I play the .m2ts file with VLC media player and note the transition points for the different tracks.

Once I have my individual tracks, I use Foobar2000 to convert PCM into FLAC on Windows10. I'm sure there must be a straightforward way to convert on a Mac, but if not Audacity will do it for free.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
    JulesRules, PDK and Geordiepete like this.
  9. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

I'm sure this is just sales. A replacement disc is not a new sale.

ARK and PDK like this.
  10. VicSchwarz

VicSchwarz Forum Resident

You forgot to put Woger Waters in bold in one of the lines. That was kind of distracting for me when I read it because it made me forget that it was about WOGER WATERS

Geordiepete likes this.
  11. PDK

PDK Forum Resident

Wow! What a value adds. It's almost as long as "Pigs on the Wing Part (pick one)"

Nice view.

Geordiepete likes this.
  12. Haggischomper

Haggischomper Scottish AF

I had presumed Algie would make an appearance. Oh well.

13. bardia

bardia Forum Resident

Has anyone noticed any difference between the BluRay Audio and SACD 5.1 Mixes?
    Also, which version sounds better to you, the LPCM or DTS HD?

14. 9 Volt

9 Volt That cat's something I can't explain

Algie's ego got all blown up when he heard about the Battersea Power Station photo op but when Roger told him that he wasn't invited the poor porcine became quite deflated.

15. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I agree. After seeing the behind the scenes footage of David Gilmour's Remember That Night and Live at Gdansk it showed Rick Wright to be a cool and very kind person.

I've appreciated the many kind words from David about Rick since he passed. One of my favorites is David's comments on a Jeff Beck documentary. When asked who his favorite guitarist was Rick said it was Jeff Beck. It made me laugh when David was telling that story. From what he said Jeff played at Rick's funeral. I firmly believe there could never be a Pink Floyd reunion, tour or new music without Rick.

16. hefeman

hefeman Forum Resident

17. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

Coming to MacOS soon, it also says.

Kristofa likes this.
  18. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

Wow. This app looks really cool! I can’t wait for the MacOS version so I can try it out.

Geordiepete likes this.
  19. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

This is the thread to watch for the upcoming MacOs version.

20. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

Cheers!

Geordiepete likes this.
  21. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

This seems like a good place to stop and suggest that the audio extraction software discussion be taken up in a different thread?

22. What’s up with the price for the SACD?

23. urbanhymns

urbanhymns I’m a big name in deep space — ask your mates

Better packaging? :hide:

ARK and Incredulous_Observer like this.
  24. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

Seems to have been pretty much solved and therefore faded/fading out now. But yes: tidy threads, tidy minds! There's probably a thread about backing up audio from blu-rays on the Audio Hardware Forum. Although I couldn't find the specific info I needed there, many here are adept at honing down searches.

PDK likes this.