Pink Floyd Animals in 5.1 Speculation, Now Pricing & Shipping thread starting Page 248

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Haggischomper

Haggischomper Scottish AF

It'll arrive the same week I go to see Saucerful of Secrets. Looking forward to that week greatly!! Keeping myself cocooned in bubble wrap until then!!!

2. ~dave~~wave~

~dave~~wave~ Forum Resident

An important point I failed to mention in my post.
    At minimum look for quality full-range speakers with 6-inch or larger woofers, without a big difference in efficiency from the mains.
    The bigger the better if you have room. A mis-matched single speaker can serve for center.
    Avoid cheesy cheap all-in-one "home theater" systems with tiny speakers and a sub.

Enjoy your 5.1 blu ray, amigo!
    First day of spring coming to your side of the equator!

caupina, boggs and bluedemon25 like this.
  3. caupina

caupina Forum Resident

Thanks!!!!!..I've had enough of cold weather already....spring can't come soon enough :righton:

4. Emerald Bar

Emerald Bar Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads up - I ordered it at that price this (Tuesday) morning! It should be with me later today!

5. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

You can add on to make a surround system out of a 2-channel setup. That’s what I’ve done and that way I can use my system either way. Some prefer a separate complete system for surround, but not me.

Linger63 likes this.
  6. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

Why would you need 2 systems with a surround set up since it could easily accommodate a stereo mix?

7. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Exactly my point. But I have heard of people who want a video and audio surround system for movies, television, and such, with AV receivers that decode the various formats. Then they have a separate purist discrete 2-channel system for highest-end audio only. I wouldn’t do it that way, but…

Last edited: Sep 21, 2022
    bluerondo, ~dave~~wave~ and rontoon like this.
  8. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I just listened to Sheep and Pigs On The Wing 2 in both PCM 5.1 and DTS-HD MA 5.1 and could not hear and differences at all.

9. BarbershopRaga

BarbershopRaga Forum Resident

The front wall between the Left and Right loudspeakers is an acoustic reflection point that diligent audiophiles will treat with absorbers or diffusers which tend to preclude the use of a flatscreen television. Hence the requirement for two dedicated systems.

~dave~~wave~ likes this.
  10. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Wouldn’t it be simple enough to cover a flatscreen with portable absorbent and/or diffuse material (e.g. a thick blanket) when not in use? Alternatively have the video screen on furniture that can be wheeled out of the way when desired? Seems a lot more economical and space efficient than a whole separate system. Creativity and flexibility are needed for many people’s home situations.

formu_la, ~dave~~wave~ and quicksrt like this.
  11. ca1ore

ca1ore Forum Resident

I have two systems. A hiend setup in the man-cave and a midfi setup in the Family room. Former was designed to handle movies and music with equal facility. Latter so that my kids didn’t fool around with the former. Funny thing is that I almost never watch movies on the big system …. now it’s exclusively music, whether 2-ch or surround. Flatscreen in the family room, frankly, is better than the 12 year old man-cave PJ and the bookshelf/in walls are just fine for reproducing movie soundtracks …. though I did get a better sub.

~dave~~wave~ and rontoon like this.
  12. BarbershopRaga

BarbershopRaga Forum Resident

People who use video projectors have the option of acoustically transparent screens which can hide front wall treatment and/or a center channel at ear level. I have personally chosen to just live with a less than optimal setup (ie flatscreen), though a second system dedicated to audio only would be ideal.

13. mooncusser2k

mooncusser2k "Oink, Oink, Woof, Woof, Baaaaa."

With under a week to go, it's time to play "Cancel the expensive preorders!"

Looks like Amazon US wins with the hefty drop to $56 a couple of weeks ago. And it will arrive faster than from UK or EU.

~dave~~wave~ likes this.
  14. Just received an email from Music Glue (on behalf of the PF EU store) about the Deluxe Edition:

[​IMG]

ocotes likes this.
  15. and 24 hours later,
    I received another email from Music Glue to inform me that my Deluxe Ltd Ed 4-Disc Package has been shipped
    o_O

16. mooncusser2k

mooncusser2k "Oink, Oink, Woof, Woof, Baaaaa."

Amazon is sending shipping notifications. Hopefully it arrives tomorrow.

17. Mildly annoyed that no bonus content was included. The complete Pigs on the Wing with both parts joined by the Snowy White solo would have been an obvious choice. I already have that on the Goldtop CD but it would have been nice to have it in hi-rez.

Anyway, will give it a listen over the weekend.

18. david gunderman

david gunderman ZosoDreamer

Amazon says mine is out for delivery right now.

slainte and PDK like this.
  19. Emilio

Emilio Senior Member

I must admit I was disappointed, I like it when a 5.1 mix "shows off multichannel". But your description does not sound at all like what I've heard. Firstly, I don't hear anything in the center channel. Of course, any stereo mix can have a "center channel" of sorts by replicating the same sound on both channels, so the same effect can be achieved on both front channels (left and right). What I hear is a full sound on all channels, with little if any discrete sounds coming out of any of them. I even wondered whether they had access to the multichannels to produce this mix. Is this "fake 5.1" made from stereo channels? And no, I'm not listening to the stereo mix by mistake! Go figure... Good sound overall, but I expected more from it.

20. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

I have found the 5.1 to be immersive, but not discrete. But since I can enjoy the immersion, I can overlook the discrete. I cannot overlook both no immersion or no discreteness.

DaverJ and weekendtoy like this.
  21. DaverJ

DaverJ Forum Resident

I agree with the various postings: I prefer discrete surround and this is not. Also, the center is barely used, so this is mostly a quad mix (which isn't necessarily a bad thing).

That said, the overall sonics are very impressive, and the sound stage is good, albeit not very adventurous. Not the near perfection we get from Greg Penny's Elton John surround mixes, but still good.

boggs and rontoon like this.
  22. bluerondo

bluerondo Forum Resident

Okay folks, I tried searching to see if anyone commented on this and wasn't able to find anything, but I have a question: Other than the format (Blu-Ray Audio vs the AP Hybrid Multichannel SACD) is there any discernable difference in the quality of one over the other? I know that AP gets fairly consistent high marks from many on this forum, and I did wonder if one was recommended over the other.

23. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

Just buy them both. That's what I did.

24. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

The Blu-ray also includes the original mix (in hi-res), if that's of any interest.

DonnyMe, Norco74, boggs and 4 others like this.