Pink Floyd Animals in 5.1 Speculation, Now Pricing & Shipping thread starting Page 248

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Apr 16, 2018.

1. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

Can't happen soon enough.

DarkSideOfTheMoo likes this.
  2. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

Oh happy day. Oh how excited I am. Woo hoo. Yay.
    When the release date is announced I will be overjoyed. Yippee.
    About time.

imthetxman and boggs like this.
  3. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Live stuff and outtakes were never part of the remit (just the new mixes and remastered original stereo mix).

Haggischomper likes this.
  4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

en·ig·mat·ic
    /ˌenəɡˈmadik/

Agree.

en·ig·mat·ic
    adjective

1. difficult to interpret or understand; mysterious.
      "he took the money with an enigmatic smile"
    What I find elusive is the fact that while Roger heads off in a YouTube video that the package will be done, David has nothing on his website about it, really.
    Roger should be proud of this work and very happy to reach out to the fans that it's finally making it out, which he is. It IS more of a Roger Waters record than anything.
    I'm slightly embarrassed to say, I'm more "Team Roger" than anything because the man really does fight for what he believes in, but he carries the stick without grace at times. So be it.

"Don't get me started" should be Roger's epitaph.

5. Hollowsanctuary

Hollowsanctuary Aujourd’hui, je dis bonjour à la vie

I’m happy this is finally going through. It’s a bit weird That the box set has “2018 mix” released in 2021…. And at this point I was hoping for an Atmos mix. But I’ll take 5.1 and my receiver will upmix it to Atmos.

and I love Waters but this is petty. And those liner notes were poorly written (like my post…lol).

looking forward to the official statement.

mcallister, mc9 and elee532 like this.
  6. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

I don't have a blu-ray player in my stereo setup and I mostly want to listen hi-res stereo programme. If there's no SACD, DVD/Blu-Ray is useless to me.
    As I don't want yet another digitally sourced vinyl copy. Hi-res download may be the only thing I'd be interested in.

Regards

7. Haggischomper

Haggischomper Scottish AF

I wonder what Dave's face is gonna look like when he wakes up for his cornflakes in the morning

8. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

This is unbecoming of the Corporation. I have decided to mostly ignore Roger these days, he is a bit of a pox on my enjoyment of the band as well. This reads like the ravings and droolings of a ten year old. He was amazingly inspired by a very famous author and decided to indulge in one of his favourite political preoccupations, shocking stuff. A nice swipe at David with the pithy guitar and vocal "nod". As someone suggested earlier these are terrible "notes", they are juvenile and stink of score settling. Even the basic fan knows at this point who brings what to the band, I don't believe David ever really tries to take more credit than he is owed, but Roger seems desperate for even more credit and recognition. I can't understand why at this stage in a spectacularly long and successful career this is so. Sad old man indeed. Oh well, it's often a treat for me to see high minded moralists tearing into each other.

I'm in for a remix. Great tones on this album but it's unnecessarily congested and dark.

obi, maui jim, Choba b CCCP and 11 others like this.
  9. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

My thoughts exactly when I read it. It is even embarrassing for Roger himself, I think.
    (Basically the new notes give the impression that Roger is a messiah that is better and stronger than everyone else and that the rest of the band and crew are useless followers that are in awe of his ideas and propositions.)

I remember reading an interview of David Gilmour in the late 70s where he said that Animals was probably the album where he participated the most in terms of composition. (He was saying something like "I wrote the whole of the music on "Dogs", and that's 40% of the album. I never did that much percentage on a Floyd album before."

Therefore, if David's claim is true, the new liner notes are even more ridiculous ! :unhunh:

obi, St. Troy, Choba b CCCP and 7 others like this.
  10. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I really dont know why anyone thought there would be.

11. Hollowsanctuary

Hollowsanctuary Aujourd’hui, je dis bonjour à la vie

I always thought the original mix lacked ooomph and the drums could be louder, certainly on Dogs. So a new mix is welcomed by me.

12. I just wish thar Dave and Roger would get past their ****. Seriously. They did for awhile and then it all got stirred back up again.

Granted, Roger did get past a lot of his issues with Dave carrying on without him. Dave seemed to make peace for a while with Roger.

Last edited: May 31, 2021
  13. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Personally I'm not going to get drawn into the Roger and Dave thing....
    I love the band and their music, it has given me years of pleasure.
    Sadly now we have two bitter old guys, probably both with twists to the truth, and getting an absolute truth from either at this stage seems unlikely....
    I'm just going to stay with the music, and hope for their sake, they both just grow up, make up and get on with it, because neither is likely to be here much longer, and the barbs and bluster only taint both of their musical legacies

14. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Oh Im sure none of this comes as any surprise
    To him.

JulesRules likes this.
  15. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

not until Nick has decided he's had enough. I wouldn’t hold the collective breath.

mark winstanley likes this.
  16. snkcube

snkcube Forum Resident

I'm happy this is finally coming out after waiting so many years. I just wished Roger and David would stop the bickering and fighting. Life's short.

17. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Has anyone else noticed the damning praise in his notes “When I was still in charge”. Talk about the porky pies.

obi, sparkmeister and utopiarun like this.
  18. Haggischomper

Haggischomper Scottish AF

They gave us that little glimpse then snatched it away from us just as we dared hope. Pair of kids.

Choba b CCCP and wayneklein like this.
  19. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

If Nick has any sense he'll stay out of it.
    He seems to get on with both of them, and I'm sure he doesn't want or need to stir the pot.

20. jmcecil

jmcecil Analog Jitter

I still want the live tour stuff. I guess bootlegs will have to do. Seems weird that they have probably a few million people that would plunk down $$$ for that release and they aren't interested.

21. Colin Allstations

Colin Allstations Forum Resident

I would really like to hear what a full double concept collaboration between Roger and Mike Love would be like. I’d be on board for that.

22. peteham

peteham Senior Member

I agree. I think Mark Blake is a really solid, if not outstanding writer, but those notes are really bland, and give little sense of how the band put that record together. I'm disappointed in Rog. Not for the first time.

23. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Am I the only one who thinks that the blurb is fine and can't see anything controversial in it? Doesn't knock Gilmour or his role and Roger was the main force behind the album (well aside from key touches by other band members, of course). It seems like Dave got his bee in bonnet over Roger being mentioned at all in this given whatever they're going through now. Petty IMHO.

24. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

My favorite PF album. I'll be getting this, although I'm not clear why there is both a DVD and Blu-Ray included. Hopefully one of them will include the extra bit of music that was included on the original 8-Track version from back in 1977.

25. Devin

Devin Time's Up

Those liner notes are nothing more than a mini ego trip set down on paper. Were I David I'd certainly not want them on the album. At least not as they are.

I don't usually favour either gentlemen in this silly neverending squabble. But check out this ridiculously petty moment at 1:06 in Roger's announcement vid:

Roger: What else? Oh yeah, I'm writing my memoirs!

Vid cuts from Roger to this rather dour looking face. For four seconds:
    [​IMG]

Why?? Was that really neccessary Rog? I'm suddenly getting the urge to move towards David's camp with great speed.

supermd, obi, JulesRules and 17 others like this.