Pink Floyd Animals in 5.1 Speculation, Now Pricing & Shipping thread starting Page 248

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Can I offer a suggestion about reviewing Animals (5.1 Surround Mix), when it finally gets released, familiarise yourself with the New Stereo Mix.

I feel that if you jump straight to the Surround Mix you may give it credit for things that are actually in the New Stereo Mix.

James Guthrie has talked about the spatial elements and the drum sound. When Pink Floyd were at Abbey Road AFAIK, they generally used Studio Three, with the occasional use of Abbey Road, Studio One, to achieve a bigger sound on some of Rick's Piano pieces on TDSOTM and David's guitar, particularly on SOYCD gave a scale to these recordings that at times is perhaps missing on Animals.

The quad mixes of Atom Heart Mother, Echoes, TDSOTM and WYWH are products of the time and differ more noticeably to the stereo mixes. The existing 5.1 mixes of TDSOTM and WYWH are authorised and some may feel they are more subtle than they would prefer. I have a feeling that Animals Surround Mix will be fairly close to Animals New Stereo Mix.

There may be more obvious surround sound effects like on:

1. Pigs On The Wing (Part 1) (wind effects)
    2. Dogs (dogs barking and the backing surround keyboard part for the solo section)
    3. Pigs (pigs grunting)
    4. Sheep (sheep bleating and panned sermon voices)
    5. Pigs On The Wing (Part 2) (birds)

These were the quad sound effects used in the live concerts in 1977.

IIRC The 2011 remaster of Animals was considered by many as the album whose sound was most improved, certainly of the main 70s albums. James Guthrie did the remaster, however, he wanted to do more.

Historical Note: The John Peel Show, 20 January 1977 on BBC Radio 1, the evening before Pink Floyd - Animals is released.

John Peel "Most of you live outside the London area, but to those who don't may have heard a station (Capitol Radio) down here talking about how they're going to be playing the new Pink Floyd album Animals tomorrow night for the first time in Britain. Well for those of you who can't wait until tomorrow night, the John Peel Show, our motto; "Tomorrow's Sounds Today" is very pleased indeed to bring you this..."

Side One of Animals is played uninterrupted. The next night they play Side Two.

21 January 2022, 45th Anniversary?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
  2. PDK

PDK Forum Resident

3. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Highly unlikely. In fact, I will bet my whole '77 bootlegs collection against the wind effects being included

RAZORMADE, CDS AudioFiles and rontoon like this.
  4. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

If it’s the same “Monitor Mix” that’s from Berlin 1977, then it’s not a monitor mix in the stage sense.

A few things about monitors (or foldback):

A monitor mix is done from a Monitor Mixer at the side of stage. Unlike typical mixing desks, monitoring desks don’t output a stereo mix like a conventional desk does. A monitor mixing console is designed to have multiple outputs (split from the same microphone signal that’s going to the front of house), so multiple mixes can be outputted to the various stage monitors in front of the musicians.

For example: Dave may need to hear more of his own vocals to keep in tune than say Nick who may need more of Roger’s bass than the other musicians. So you wouldn’t bother recording a direct feed of this, it would be a mess. And besides, why would you when you could have a balanced mix from the front-of-desk desk (or the “soundboard mix”)

Hearing the Berlin ‘77 “monitor mixes” I noticed:

* A lot of audience in the mix
    * A lot of effects, which would be too muddy for stage playback
    * The vocals panned to the right

My theory is these could be monitor mixes (that term is interchangeable btw) for television/film crew. The vocals where panned right because the end product would have been mono. What monitor mixes in this sense would mean is a 2 channel recording of the raw audio coming into the recording truck.

5. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

There is never going to be a better time in 2022 to release a 2018 remix :laugh:

Let face it - as long as Gilmour is at the helm - this is never coming out

Score17 and PH416156 like this.
  6. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

No release date yet? Bummer (in the summer) (in the city)!

7. St. Troy

St. Troy Still superior.

For those "in the biz" who understand how such things work, any thoughts on what a realistic time frame might be, given these two witty observations:

8. jonnyslb

jonnyslb Forum Resident

They don't used to release reissues in anniversaries, they release reissues before Christmas times (ex. The Early Years, later years, etc...)

rontoon and klockwerk like this.
  9. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

That is 100% NOT stadium echo. It's echo that is being used as an effect in the board/monitor mix. An audience recording wouldn't be so discreetly stereo!

Max Florian likes this.
  10. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

or when they are pleased…

mark winstanley and rontoon like this.
  11. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I’m not saying whether or not this recording is audience or not, but there are plenty of amazingly well recorded audience tapes with good stereo separation.

Billy_Sunday and bobloblaw like this.
  12. Lownote30

Not as good as that one. That was super discreet. Any type of stereo audience recording would have bleed between the two mics. That recording is definitely not an audience recording.

13. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

...or when they are paid

[​IMG]

14. dogater1449

dogater1449 Forum Resident

It's definitely IMO not a raw Soundboard but maybe it could have been what was playing through Roger's headphones. The other band members are high in the mix while he himself is low, so maybe he just had to hear the other members to be able to play along.

rontoon likes this.
  15. Lownote30

Agreed. I don't think it's front of house. It's someone's monitor. I imagine Roger's would have more of him in it, though. Singers usually want a lot of themselves.

Max Florian and rontoon like this.
  16. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I believe the YouTube version posted above is a combination of two recordings (at least), audience recording hard-panned left, David's monitor mix hard-panned right. At least for the first part

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
    PhoffiFozz likes this.
  17. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

One of these used to be parked in my town until a few years ago...

Jerry Horne, segue and Billy Infinity like this.
  18. St. Troy

St. Troy Still superior.

What an odd promo item.

A buddy and I, upon seeing the Duran Duran board game, theorized as to what the most humiliating promo item might be; we came up with Duran Duran underoos (children's underwear). A VW Golf is obviously not worse than Duran Duran underoos (which would've been spectacularly humiliating), but if you were choosing a car, wouldn't you aim higher or forget the whole thing?

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  19. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Close enough!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

I'm not alone.

JulesRules likes this.
  21. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

You are not alone.

By the way, all this hub-bub about 5.1 and still no official announcement. What gives?

jeffreybh and Freddie Barry like this.
  22. Haggischomper

Haggischomper Scottish AF

Because the project had been shelved due to the childish in-fighting of two grumpy old men, perhaps the timeline of releases has other things in store for us to start with? Given the picking apart of the big box I'd assume maybe we get the Momentary Lapse remix first -(before Christmas?) with Animals coming next year at some point?

Pure guesswork, of course.

ausamerika and RAZORMADE like this.
  23. deadvoices

deadvoices amused to death

This would make sense I think. Momentary remix first then 45th anniversary Animals next year…

RAZORMADE likes this.
  24. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

I believe that AMLOR will be the next stand alone release from TLY box.

25. makedatmusic

makedatmusic Forum Resident

Remixed CD & vinyl releases more than likely.
    I can’t imagine that the 5.1 mix will be released outside of the box set since it is lumped together with the Division Bell 5.1 mix on the same Blu-Ray.