Pink Floyd Animals in 5.1 Speculation, Now Pricing & Shipping thread starting Page 248

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Apr 16, 2018.

1. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

No, Oakland '77 is amazing. It's my belief that it's an audience tape, one of the best ever recorded. But we've had it for decades and I'd be bitterly disappointed if it was included in a box set.

It definitely sounds like the hail mary hope of multi-tracks from the In the Flesh Tour is a pipe dream, and a little bit of me died today. Another day older and closer to death.

Rontoon, sorry I'm so sour, I don't mean to shoot the messenger.

2. Oakland was what I was referring to. I measuring that to a overall consistency on soundboards. If the Floyd recorded it, even not plugged into the board, it is likely better than Oakland. Open air mics in a open air venue on or near the stage with how loud they played should be a very interesting and nice sounding revelation.

RangerXT, andrewskyDE and Maurice like this.
  3. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

Naks...is that cassette tape? Stereo?

4. Leviathan

Leviathan Forum Resident

It’s amazing that a band as big as PF wouldn’t have anything professionally shot or recorded live in 1977.

5. Nak or Nakamichi made high end cassette decks and TDK made their tapes

"Nagra" was a type of highend 2 track tape recorder used to record audio for movies or movies with musical elements. From what Rontoon has said, the Floyd crew had one and they likely recorded the 1977 shows on it via external mics and not through the mixing board for the P.A. That alone would raise the quality over a normal "audience" tape made out in the crowd.

6. I have said that very thing for many years.

RangerXT likes this.
  7. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

Excellent answer, external mics was going to be my next question. That definitely sounds more promising than soundboard recordings.

8. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Even before that. They didn't tape much during the Dark Side or WYWH era as well.
    The Empire Pool gig from the British Winter Tour in 1974 (which was captured by the BBC) is an exception.

RangerXT and coffeetime like this.
  9. It could be. Maybe the Floyd road crew knew something we don't.

RangerXT and rontoon like this.
  10. It frankly sounds like BS to me. By 1977, Pink Floyd was one of the biggest bands in the world. I'm not saying something didn't happen over the years to the original soundboards, but there's no way nothing was ever recorded.

Given Pink Floyd's extreme reluctance to cash in on archival live material made before the Wall era, I think it's a very convenient excuse to shut fans up.

11. RockAddict

RockAddict Sanity is an illusion, just like democracy

Even if Floyd do have some '77 material, one reason for not wanting it officially released could be they don't think much of the performance quality. On the other hand, that didn't stop them releasing some pretty poor quality recordings with the "Early Years" sets which, taking a detour from Animals, begs the question as to why Mr Gilmour is so strongly against a full release of "Delicate Sound Of Thunder". For me, Oakland '77 is a mixed bag. The extended "Pigs (3 Diff Ones)" is terrific but some of the rest is, well, ordinary.

If Floyd can't find live material to release with the Animals release, there are a couple of things they could still do. Howabout two versions of Animals: the standard album remixed etc and a separate version including Snowy White's solo? That way, the purists would be happy and those who always wanted the solo would also be happy. Hmm, that's way too easy. Maybe they could do that with The Final Cut too: different versions with/without "When The Tigers Broke Free" and/or "The Hero's Return (Pt II)". Floyd / Warner need my help. I'm available... :D :tsk:

RangerXT, PDK and Instant Dharma like this.
  12. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

A couple of the '77 audience tapes are good enough that people have tried to pass 'em off as being soundboards on occasion (the famous Oakland recording and Atlanta being a couple of them). Pink Floyd should just release that Oakland audience tape and be done with it, it sounds great as it is, excellent performance too.
    Hey, Zeppelin made the same mistake in '77- the only circulating pro shot footage is the decidedly mediocre July 17 '77 Seattle performance. Supposedly they were planning on filming/recording a couple of the big post-Oakland stadium shows but those plans were scrapped when the rest of the tour was cancelled after Robert Plant's son died.

13. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Led Zeppelin has an excuse, Pink Floyd does not.

RangerXT and ohnothimagen like this.
  14. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

This is already available on Snowy White's Goldtop CD

15. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I don't have the CD but I often read here that this was a remix and not the original 8-track version.

RangerXT and Rooster_Ties like this.
  16. RockAddict

RockAddict Sanity is an illusion, just like democracy

Yep - I meant as part of the album instead of a stand-alone "extra". I've added the second part of the Snowy White version, with solo, at the end of Sheep, replacing the official album version of PotW (Pt 2) on Animals. Having done so, I don't know whether I prefer the album with or sans :confused: :shh:.

17. Scott Sheagren

Scott Sheagren I’m a Metal,Rock,Jazz Fusion,Gaga type of guy.

My favorite Pink Floyd album with Wish you were here.

RangerXT and Rooster_Ties like this.
  18. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Maybe they should just release the 5.1 remix and be done with it. I'd be glad to get some decent sounding live releases from this era, but we may just have to settle for the bootlegs in this case. The Floyd camp has long been reluctant to release archival live recordings.

longaway, AZRunner and Rne like this.
  19. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Give me a nice 5.1 mix with the "Pigs On The Wing" 8-track version as an extra, and I'll be satisfied.

ceddy10165 and PDK like this.
  20. With what abkco is pulling we better not see -

Animals Box Set

Disc 1 - 2018 Remaster
    Disc 2 - 8 Track Version
    Disc 3 - Cassette Version

(And all of this talk about re-mixes and multi-channel mixes were all a hoax) :D

The caveat being, I would take a box with the 8 track and cassette versions, as long as there was some live discs and the remixes.

Sis+erRay likes this.
  21. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

What does ABKCO have to do with Pink Floyd???

22. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

He was just making a joke, comparing it with the recent Stones Decca era box sets. Those have (nearly) zero bonus content.

23. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

That is by copyright & contractual design & a very unique situation. It isn't applicable here, where Pink Floyd own their own recordings.

24. I was saying hopefully the Floyd camp doesn't fall into the Shi#$y box sets trap. Do I have to spell it out?

25. It was a joke, and still those circumstances doesn't keep anyone from releasing a sh#$%y box set.