Pink Floyd Animals in 5.1 Speculation, Now Pricing & Shipping thread starting Page 248

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Apr 16, 2018.

1. xXFloydianXx

xXFloydianXx One Slip, and down the hole we fall

Yeah ill take a Delicate Sound of Thunder release. Reason I brought up the Momentary remake was that there was a statement from Mason a few months ago in a magazine I believe where he was asked about it and he just said, "ask David Gilmour!".

Edit: Nick Mason: "Momentary Lapse Remake? Fragt David Gilmour!" | Pink Floyd News

I guess it was from an issue of Uncut earlier this year. He says the project was "frozen".

2. Mrmojo

Mrmojo Forum Resident

I want Animals in 5.1 the 2011 in 2.0 high fidelity.
    Them European Tv interviews with Roger Waters and David Gilmour all the video footage of Algie going up at Battersey Power station in 1976.
    Pigs on the wing abridged by a snowy white.
    Newspaper cuttings of all that PR that went on.
    Don’t forget Gerard Scarfe done some animation for Animals which wasn’t used.
    I don’t need an enamel Animals badge just purchased from Pink Floyd band stores uk £12.95 delivered.

I’m a sucker for Floyd product with cash I can’t afford.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    Larry C. McGinnis III likes this.
  3. epp56

epp56 Forum Resident

zinan, Jimbino, RK2249 and 4 others like this.
  4. Mrmojo

Mrmojo Forum Resident

I would buy the Lego Animals.

5. RockAddict

RockAddict Sanity is an illusion, just like democracy

Not sure if this has been overlooked but a version of Live At Pompeii was released on Blu-ray as part of the Early Years sets (1972 "Obfusc/ation"):
    Pink Floyd: Live at Pompeii - Wikipedia

"Obfusc/ation" is still available as a standalone volume without having to get the whole box set.

RangerXT likes this.
  6. Mrmojo

Mrmojo Forum Resident

There is four different versions 1972, 1974 cinema, directors cut 2003 and Obfuscation 5.1 mix 2016.
    There is an unofficial Pink Floyd 1974 Quadrophonic.The band are aware of it but haven’t done nothing with it. The audio mix was done by Dan Wallin for the cinemas back in 1974.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  7. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

The version on the box set is not the original version, and it's not even HD.

8. RockAddict

The clue was in the wording - "...a version..." :). The video can never be in HD because it wasn't shot with HD cameras. I'm not sure many will be concerned about the omission of "Mademoiselle Nobs" although the omission of the other "Director's" footage (e.g. studio . canteen etc) is rather odd. On the plus side, Echoes is once again a single piece in the Obfusc/ation volume.

RangerXT likes this.
  9. Mrmojo

Mrmojo Forum Resident

The band didn’t want the dog song was mixed in 5.1.

10. Mrmojo

Mrmojo Forum Resident

No it’s the directors cut, the original rushes were destroyed in Paris years back. They should of went with 1974 version. We might see that on Blu Ray soon.

11. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

Not quite true. It was shot on film, not video. A High Definition transfer could be made from the original film elements (if they still exist). If this were to be done, the money should be spent to do a full restoration of the film.

Delicate Sound of Thunder is in the same situation, it too was shot on film and could be restored and a High Definition transfer made from it, as opposed to PULSE which was shot on Video Tape and will never get any better than it is now. Gilmour, for what ever reason, has no love for Delicate Sound and I do not know if he is willing to spend the money to do Pompeii properly.

12. RockAddict

Actually, that's a fair representation - my use of the word "video" was s bit careless. Sadly, I tend to agree with your views about the likelihood of DSoT or Pompeii being revisited.

RangerXT likes this.
  13. Mrmojo

Mrmojo Forum Resident

The band don’t own Pompeii, Universal Pictures Do they had permission for 2016 early years box just the film not the interviews.

RangerXT likes this.
  14. RockAddict

Maybe so. But if DG / Floyd went to the rights holders and put firm (good) plans on the table for a comprehensive revamp of the Pompeii release, I can't see permission being refused... :) .

RangerXT and Mrmojo like this.
  15. mando_dan

mando_dan Forum Resident

Mason and Gilmour no longer work together?

RangerXT, rontoon and Mrmojo like this.
  16. Pink Floyd is over as a band. The work done for 'The Endless River' was it. Gilmour has said it. Mason has finally wandered off into other projects.

17. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Well, they are Pink Floyd.

RangerXT likes this.
  18. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

So are Waters and Syd's and Rick's estates for anything pre-break up from a legal standpoint. They aren't recording/performing anymore so it's all archival territory from here on out.

makedatmusic, RangerXT, PDK and 2 others like this.
  19. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

No wonder nothing ever happens.

mestreech, RangerXT and oneslip17 like this.
  20. Doctor Flang

It's Adrian Maben's film, so it's his call. Maben did restore the film in 2K a few years ago, and it was screened a couple of times. Most likely it's that version that will be released on blu-ray.

xXFloydianXx likes this.
  21. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

But please for the love of Syd...no Directors Cut

RockAddict likes this.
  22. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

23. Doctor Flang

No no, he restored the 1974 version we all know and love, and he also found some more interview footage from the Paris sessions.

Instant Dharma likes this.
  24. dvda

dvda Forum Resident

Is Guthrie mixing this in 5.1 or Andy Jackson?

25. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse