Pink Floyd Animals in 5.1 Speculation, Now Pricing & Shipping thread starting Page 248

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

Hi! Back again. Checking in. See you next month.:wave:

2. Ajax133

Ajax133 Well-Known Member

Any date for the release ?

Michael Rose likes this.
  3. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

Hopefully before I die of old age. I think it is ridiculous as to how long it takes to get a release out, especially one that is supposedly finished, it can't be that complicated. What other business is this slow and inefficient at getting a product out ? Really ! Any other type of business would be out of business. I am sure there is some excuse for this, but I doubt it will be a good one.

warp2600, boggs and 2141 like this.
  4. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Four words: David Gilmour Roger Waters.

Add in their respective managers and advisers. Trying to get both parties to sign-off on projects is, apparently, extremely difficult.

Comparing them to other types of businesses isn't really valid since their back catalog continues to sell, so it is not like they desperately need this release to remain profitable.

5. epp56

epp56 Forum Resident

one day I’ll click on this thread and there will be news on an actual release date and emergency services will have to called to revive me.

6. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

An excuse and as expected not a good one. Just because someone does not need the money is not a good excuse, it just means they do not have their heart in it, people that are motivated to get things done, get it done.

I know they owe us nothing, but if you are going to do it, at least put your heart in it and get it done in a timely manor. What real good comes from dragging things on for months or even years ?

hi_watt and Michael Rose like this.
  7. JMike

JMike Forum Resident

It's not an "excuse", it's a likely explanation. Their hearts may very well be fully into it. However, given the history of this band, it's likely their hearts are in different places about it and they disagree on some aspect of it.

Michael Rose likes this.
  8. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

I wish Dave loved his contributions [to Animals] so much, he would've included a song or two in the set list, in the last three decades. :rolleyes::sigh:

9. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

It's make me sick when I think about how there are no pro recordings of the In the Flesh Tour. Such negligence. I would like to keep complaining and be more nasty about, but I try to temper my anger.

10. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

What Aspect ? It is was supposedly finished many months ago.

11. Raf

Raf Senior Member

"Finished," as in the way the Meddle 5.1 mix was "finished" for the Early Years box?

quicksrt likes this.
  12. JMike

JMike Forum Resident

I have no idea. All I'm saying is those guys have a long history of disagreeing on many things. It is not unlikely that some sort of disagreement came up that is delaying its release.

13. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

An "aspect" unrelated to the mix. For example, a disagreement on packaging or liner notes.
    The type of business that doesn't need to get any product out or sell anything ever again. They don't need the money and in case you haven't noticed Gilmour is selling most of his guitars and giving the money to charity. It's not as high a priority for them as it is to you, obviously.

14. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

Like I said, their heart is not really in it or it would be out long ago. It is obviously just not that important to them. The fact they don't need the money is irrelevant.

15. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Did they ever figure out and say how and what the hell happened that resulted in the Meddle 5.1 remaining on the Early Years disc it was not intended for release on?

I figured it was going to be included, decided to not be included by the powers that be, and the guy doing the disc authoring (making $15.50 an hour) changed the menu, disconnected the link, and purposely left the album in the assets folder as a gift to the world surrounding him. Thinking that Mr. Floyd and Mrs. Floyd have more money than god, and the fans supporting them often have very little (if any money left), and here's a gift to them. Intentional or not, what do you think?

RangerXT, mcallister and EdwinM like this.
  16. rontoon

Sounds plausible.

RangerXT, drum_cas and hiterss like this.
  17. rontoon

I disagree. If they needed the money they'd rush it to release. Each new release represents their legacy so yes, it is important to them.

18. rontoon

Meddle and OBC are James Guthrie's domain and have no relation to the finished Animals SACD.

RangerXT, jlf, drum_cas and 2 others like this.
  19. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

I believe it was intended for release in the EY box set but was withdrawn at a late stage because Roger Waters hadn’t heard or approved the mix. Why they didn’t remove the files entirely; probably just sloppy disc authoring.

I think it was @rontoon who posted recently that this 5.1 mix (by Andy Jackson) is now unlikely to see the light of day as Waters is likely to only approve a James Guthrie mix. Apparently there is also a 5.1 of Obscured By Clouds by Andy Jackson that might have made the EY box but is also likely never to surface.

Nothing to do with Animals, sorry! I also can’t believe the In The Flesh tour was never properly recorded; when you consider how many artists from that era have high quality live audio and film in the can it’s a shame there is such a gap in the Floyd archives.

20. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Ozric was referring to the Animals 5.1 project as being "finished" and therefore having no reason for being delayed or canceled. I merely brought up the spectre of the similarly "finished" Meddle 5.1, which still didn't get an official release.

21. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

Rontoon, your opinion is somewhat biased as you seem to have some connection to the band and inside information that you can not or will not divulge, so we are left to speculate.

To me it's not a matter of rushing to release it, even if it was released 6 months ago it would not have been rushed. Dave & Roger have enough money to move Mountains, if there heart was still in the music they would do what ever it takes to get it out, with out compromise, so that people can hear their musical creation, instead they let it languish on the shelf due to silly excuses like agreement on artwork (which should not take as long as it has), Gilmours guy getting in contact with Rogers guy ect, ect. The whole process moves like Molasses in January. Imagine if all releases over the last 50 years worked like this, we would be missing huge amounts of music. Animals in and of itself was recorded and released in less time than they have been working on this release.

We put men in space and on the moon faster than these albums being released, so to me it truly is a matter how bad they really want it released, if they were really wanted it out sooner rather than later it would have been done long ago, same with the Wall 5.1

Even though it is true that they owe us nothing, if they were still motivated by the Music, it would be out.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
    RangerXT and mcallister like this.
  22. Philrock90

Philrock90 Forum Resident

We know the Floyd never rush anything we just have to wait until some sort of announcement what with this and nick masons saucerful release due and possibly Rogers tour film and the Floyd Later Years set it will all probably be spaced put over the end of this year and next year

23. rontoon

It helps when comparing apples to apples when discussing similarities. Each case is different. Look how long the SACD of WYWH was completed before release under a completely different set of circumstances.

drum_cas likes this.
  24. rontoon

My opinion is informed, not biased.

25. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

You seem unable or unwilling to accept the reality of the situation. If you want to be critical of anything, be critical of the fact that projects were announced before they were ready to roll (Neil Young fans know all about this, and he doesn't have to find consensus with anyone!). You have no idea what the priorities are for the members of Pink Floyd, nor what the business/management implications are. It is also fair to say that the Floyd have not been starving their fans of product in recent years with all the re-release, Immersion and Early Years issues. Gilmour, Waters and Mason have also been busy with their own projects/tours. They also have a reputation of wanting to do things right, so they take their time. As has been mentioned, the Wish... SACD appeared long after it was first publicly demo'ed.