Pink Floyd Animals in 5.1 Speculation, Now Pricing & Shipping thread starting Page 248

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Sis+erRay

Sis+erRay Forum Resident

But why did the fan-friendly authoring guy remove the OBC 5.1 mix? ;)

2. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

I have accepted the situation that it is not that much of a priority for them. They have the money and resources to do anything they want at any speed they want, and since it is supposedly finished and not yet released, that appears to be what they want.

3. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

Not yet. The thing isn’t actually “official” until a press release (and even then, in some cases, artists have canceled...)
    I would guess this would be a Q4 release but we’ll see.

4. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

more likely 5.1 of Roger's US + Them Tour will be released before Animals

HotHere, RangerXT and Hattipper like this.
  5. rez21

rez21 Well-Known Member

Pink Floyd 5.1 releases (and withheld thereof) have always had some sort of bizarre, delayed, or otherwise goofy set of circumstances. I believe they are all very good to excellent, no matter who mixes them. OBVIOUSLY there is some approach to the material or artwork (BTW that always differs from the original) that someone in the band is picky about and is always fighting till the end. It's really a shame because they are depriving the fans the joyful experience of hearing their music in a wonderful way they surely understand the fans are clamoring for. It's just not that complicated. Look at JT, Yes and others just hand the damn thing to Steven Wilson and call it a day. Many times. Unfortunately the stuff from PF we really want falls under the 'I'll believe it when I see it' file.

6. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Is it going to compete with the Later Years set then?

7. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

Whoops, I forgot which thread I was in! That Q4 guess was about the Later Years Box. I would guess Animals in 2020

8. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

Is there any chance Roger is releasing that Mexico City gig from 2016? Which he played almost all of Wish You Were Here and Animals. That gig is partly on Youtube by his official channel and sounds and looks amazing.

9. Philrock90

Philrock90 Forum Resident

I know he filmed a night at Amsterdam too which was rumoured for release

vitorbastos123 likes this.
  10. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I know that Roger Waters prefers James Guthrie's work and David Gilmour prefers Andy Jackson's work. But if Waters is not allowing Meddle and Obscured By Clouds to be released in 5.1 because Andy Jackson did the 5.1 mixes that's very sad. Both Guthrie and Jackson do excellent work and their 5.1 mixes are great. The only thing Waters is doing by not allowing those 5.1 mixes to be released (if true) is penalizing the Floyd fans that want to buy and hear Meddle and Obscured By Clouds.

11. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

Why can't the but both mixes out? Let the fans decided which they like.

Audiowannabee likes this.
  12. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd

I thought Waters shouting out the show numbers was just humorous ironic venting from him as he slogged his way through a tour situation that he was very conflicted about ..... He didn't do it at every show, and sometimes his number was off a bit ....
    Pink Floyd news :: Brain Damage - 1977 tour dates/concerts

13. mando_dan

mando_dan Forum Resident

Correct IMO.

14. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

Sums up Steve Hoffman Boards in one post lol

15. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I could care less about 5.1. I want 24/96

James Bennett, andrewskyDE and jacek2 like this.
  16. rez21

rez21 Well-Known Member

What a wonderful world it would be to have 24/96 and 5.1. (Evil PF inner circle) 'Hmmm... but that's exactly what they'll be expecting us to do [evil laugh hahah]...'

17. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music

well you won't get 96/24 on the upcoming SACD ;)
    and fwiw there are plenty of people who do care about both 5.1 and hi-res (myself included!)

alx7, Jimijam, oneslip17 and 12 others like this.
  18. rez21

rez21 Well-Known Member

And, oh by the way. What's the title of this thread?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    formu_la, Myke, weekendtoy and 4 others like this.
  19. pinkpurpl

pinkpurpl Forum Resident

So what is the latest status of the Animals release?

If there are no live recordings from the tour....perhaps are their any recordings from the tour rehearsals....

RangerXT likes this.
  20. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

It's on hold, I'm assuming, with The Later Years being released. No live recordings good enough to release. No recordings of rehearsals.

J_D__, andrewskyDE, drum_cas and 2 others like this.
  21. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

This is not at all how I would characterize what happened. People get too excited by these things. Roger approved and allowed Andy's work, including the Pompeii remix (much of it very, very harsh) to be released in the Early Years sets. Anything that's not a vintage mix in those boxes is pretty much Andy's work and Rog approved all of that

Waters didn't approve the 5.1 mix of those two studio albums or the Meddle stereo remix, and we have heard it was because no one told him they had even happened until the box was already in production. He reserved his right not to have a remixed version of the albums where he was one of the original producers released without his approval. I say FAIR PLAY TO YOU, ROG... though I guess he didn't care too much about Obscured by Clouds stereo remix (which is also very, very harsh)

The 5.1 mix of Animals was presumably already approved by all involved but has been bumped back with other projects taking priority

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  22. Shai

Shai New Member

"all" the 5.1 mixes you say? There's more out than Wish You Were Here and DSOTM?

mark winstanley likes this.
  23. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

• Meddle (hidden on They Early Years set)
    • The Division Bell (20th Anniversary deluxe set and individual DVD from the Pink Floyd online store)
    • The Endless River (deluxe edition)
    Obscured By Clouds has been mixed for 5.1 however not released.

24. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

If 4.0 counts Atom H... mix in the Early Years.

25. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Yea!. Stop being a dick Roger