Pink Floyd Animals in 5.1 Speculation, Now Pricing & Shipping thread starting Page 248

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Apr 16, 2018.

1. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

They're not recording engineers so they have an engineer they trust on retainer to make these calls for them. It's not ideal but it makes sense.

superstar19 likes this.
  2. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

I thought that was all cleared up in the end. It was Roger who had those mixes pulled.

3. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

Clearly will take longer. I sort of don't care anymore.

4. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

That's too bad. The Division Bell 5.1 mix by Andy Jackson is far superior in overall SQ than the DSOTM and WYWH 5.1 mixes IMO. I just listened to all three on Blu-ray a few days ago and the differences are obvious on my system. The Division Bell 5.1 mix is far more immersive and deep with much better separation. I just find DSOTM and WYWH to be flat and one dimensional by comparison.

5. Does this include the reason why there was no Wall 5.1 on the Immersion set?

6. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

It's more complicated than that.

7. rontoon

It wasn't included because it wasn't finished at the time.

andrewskyDE and mestreech like this.
  8. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

So this implies it is now finished??

superstar19 likes this.
  9. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

Haha, I knew that would be the next question :)

10. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Not sure, IIRC the tapes are in a bad condition

mark winstanley likes this.
  11. rontoon

This would have been my reply.

12. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Now that the Later Years box is out, let's start the Animals SACD countdown!!

Only 11.5 months to go!?!

13. Well, if anything is truly begging for a surround mix, it’s The Wall.

14. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Thing is, what exactly is in bad shape? The master tapes? The session tapes? Or every tape they recorded in 1978/79?
    Do the session tapes still exist? Maybe they could go back with this instead the master tapes and mix'n'edit completely new from scratch.

15. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

For a 5.1 mix you likely need the session tapes, not the stereo master.

16. Wolfspaw

Wolfspaw Forum Resident

It's the original session recordings, they've deteriorated. Guthrie's mission was to make TWO 5.1 mixes, one for the Movie, so that could eventually be released, and the second for the SACD/Blu-ray ( or whatever means they use to release it). It's a long and tedious process to bring them back to life. The status is presumably only known to a few people.

Guthrie was interviewed about The Wall after the WYWH SACD was released although I don't have that handy. The tapes issue is not really a secret.

17. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

From what I have read, it is the Multi-Track Tapes that are in bad shape. Those would be needed to do a 5.1 Mix. At that time 1978/79 many musicians used Ampex 456 Tape, It had serious problems in storage as it would get sticky, shed badly, gum up tape machines and leave dropouts on the tape. They have to be baked prior to transferring the recordings off of them. Many a musicians music was lost on that tape. I do not know if The Wall was recorded on it but I would not be surprised.

18. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Yes. Sorry, somehow I was thinking of a general remix. I'd like to hear unedited versions of most of the songs.

19. Haggischomper

Haggischomper Scottish AF

I'd love one for The Final Cut, also.

20. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

That's my MVP

21. Floyd fan 71

Floyd fan 71 Forum Resident

If you wanna throw 5.1 in there ok . But to be honest I hope it’s more than that . I have no interest in a 5.1 sound . But throw in some live shows some other stuff . Tv spots interviews some more demos . I even heard there is an animals album that reworked . Different lyrics different parts for Roger and Dave singing . And a nice book , ( marbles post cards and a scarf ... now your talking ...

22. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Hopefully they can find something, but last report was zip, nada, zilch.
    Without the 5.1 then there isn't really anything for me.

23. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

Couldn't find this scrolling back to October's comments so I'll post it here. Forgive me if this is old news.

Bob Ezrin & Other Collaborators Talk 'Pink Floyd The Later Years' Box Set

One thing fans wonder about, however, is a deluxe package of Animals, which is the one album that's not been treated in that manner yet. Will it happen?

Andy Jackson: There's nothing other than the album to be had out of that. There are no leftovers or anything like that. There were prototype versions (of the songs) but they've already been out. There's no further expansion to be made out of that (album).

Aubrey Powell: I've asked Nick this question five times in the last year or so. I've certainly been working on a couple of things related to Animals and... let’s see. It's certainly in discussion, and I can't commit to more than that. But fingers crossed that something might appear in the future. We'll see what happens.

PhantomStranger, jamesc and hiterss like this.
  24. bettsaj

bettsaj “I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing.”

From Jo Carins Facebook page....

"Animals remix is beyond unbelievably good. It has been finished for years. I’m not sure why these things get held up. Perhaps down to management. Certainly not James’ choice"

25. bettsaj

bettsaj “I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing.”

That would be great, as they could include the Blu-Ray/DVD of the Final Cut Video EP, and also expand it to include the full version of The Heroes Return. I'm surprised they missed that off the original remaster instead of including Tigers, which I don't think fits in with the feel of that album.