Pink Floyd Animals in 5.1 Speculation, Now Pricing & Shipping thread starting Page 248

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

It doesn't all have to be a megabox. The Dark Side Of The Moon and Wish You Were Here and Amused To Death SACDs were all fine as standalones. Amused To Death even had a handy CD/Bluray issue. The same could be done for Animals - if they cared to.

2. PDK

PDK Forum Resident

Complaints go with the territory. See every box set thread.

klockwerk and paulisdead like this.
  3. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

Not only a nice message, but an interesting choice of artwork hanging on the wall behind Mr. Gilmour.

Remy, RangerXT, Jack_Straw and 5 others like this.
  4. Pancat

Pancat Senior Member

Brilliant! Thank you.

quicksrt likes this.
  5. Clucking

Clucking Elixir of Life

definitely LOADS better than the version I have, from the Total Eclipse RoIO box set. THANKS!!!

quicksrt likes this.
  6. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

fixed ;)

7. rez21

rez21 Well-Known Member

I have an idea. I can't believe it took so long to think about this. Get the good doctor on the phone. Dr. Pepper... please promise a free can to everyone if the Animals set is released this year. Everyone except Roger & Dave. And for some reason Buckethead. I've seen this crazy method of motivation work before.

8. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

I'd so much rather a decent multitrack live show from '77 vs 5.1 but I can see the appeal for a 5.1 version of the studio album for others.

9. RangerXT

RangerXT Forum Resident

I think probably everyone would probably prefer a multitrack live show from '77, but it's not likely one exists

10. bettsaj

bettsaj “I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing.”

No multi-track recordings exist of the Animals tour. All they have are some "open air" recordings from around the misixing desk, and also monitor mixes which are likely dull and lifeless, and not good enough to release as they stand.

Oliver likes this.
  11. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

what do you mean Multitrack?
    there are several cd quality boots available from the 77 USA tour. Isn't that enough. The band will have recorded every show, so there will be soundboard quality recordings but these will either have been locked down very tightly or erased. The band were superb on this tour with Gilmour especially cranking out the solo's.
    We will never see an official release from this tour due to politics and mutual hatred.
    At the live 8 gig Gilmour and Wright didnt try and hide their contempt of Waters.

12. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

Really?

RangerXT likes this.
  13. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

yes. do you mean stereo or quad etc.
    If you mean quad etc how can you seriously expect to get a quad etc audience recording from 1977?
    Thats why I asked the question becuase there are many cd quality recordings from the 77 tour

14. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

Did you even click the link?

Neither stereo nor quad would be considered a "multitrack" recording. If open-air, they would be "chamber" recordings. If recorded from the output of a live mixing console, they would be "soundboard" recordings. Most official live recordings are recorded to multitrack—separate feeds for each microphone/instrument—and mixed ex post facto for the best possible sound. Unfortunately, Pink Floyd made no multitrack recordings on the '77 tour, and apparently also neglected to make any soundboard recordings.

15. bettsaj

By multitrack, I mean recorded from the desk onto an open reel tape therefore ensuring each instrument is seperate to it can be mixed later on. There were no desk recordings (or as you call it "soundboard") done on the Animals tour. How do you know the band recorded every show on the desk?? The bootlegs you're talking about are either audience sourced or open air recordings done by the sound engineer, but these are NOT multitrack. They were likely recorded on a Nakamichi, I know for sure the monitor mixes were done on cassette, not open reel so are not mixable.

JediJoker likes this.
  16. bettsaj

But they're not multitrack recordings.... they're mostly audience recordings done on a cassette player. Even the official monitor mixes are on cassette.

17. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

No. Apparently not good enough.
    Your assumption is wrong.
    :doh:

Jimijam, RangerXT, JediJoker and 11 others like this.
  18. bettsaj

My sentiments exactly Ron......

rontoon likes this.
  19. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Wow, everything you just said is wrong.

PDK, RangerXT, penguinzzz and 9 others like this.
  20. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Not everything, Gilmour's solo's were indeed superb.

21. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

LOL...

Maybe they're holding off on releasing the 5.1 mix until The Middle Years box gets a street date.

mark winstanley likes this.
  22. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

True. He also spelled Gilmour's name correctly, which is more than a lot of posters on this board can do.

23. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I would actually be laughing if I didn't think that was a possibility

24. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Gilmore should play in Ozzy Osborne's band.

Jam757 likes this.
  25. jjjos

jjjos Forum Resident

At this point, when this finally has a release date, news of that fact will not be in this thread.

nedison likes this.