Pink Floyd Animals in 5.1 Speculation, Now Pricing & Shipping thread starting Page 248

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Apr 16, 2018.

1. mcallister

mcallister Forum Resident

I’d much prefer the 5.1, you old purists should really give it a chance with a high end system ;)

klockwerk, tedhead, PDK and 5 others like this.
  2. Sluggy

Sluggy Forum Resident

Ironically 'Dave Gilmore' is listed on the back of my Saucerful of Secrets CD from 1988.

coffeetime likes this.
  3. puddleduck

puddleduck Forum Resident

I think I posted on this thread ages ago, that I don't see the point in 5.1 for this album, as as far as I know, unlike some earlier albums with official quad mixes it was never intended as a surround album, so in effect it's like 'colourising' old B&W films.

Maybe Floyd now feel the same way? To my ears this is not an album that would lend itself to surround. I don't really understand the clamour for a remix 40 years on. Probably just me!

4. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

What make you think any of them were ever intended for a quad mix?

PhoffiFozz, tedhead, PDK and 2 others like this.
  5. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

He was also pronounced that way on the original LP release (just corrected later on the Sax remaster CD and beyond).
    Besides that he even doesn't like people calling him Dave.

Lost In The Flood and coffeetime like this.
  6. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I’d love both:)

wolfram and Oliver like this.
  7. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

AFAIK, everyone involved is pretty happy with the way it turned out. Whether or not it was originally intended for a multichannel mix is irrelevant. The delay has more to do with the current feud between camps, including Guthrie.

PhoffiFozz, Frans T, PDK and 12 others like this.
  8. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

"Maybe floyd now feel the same way" is about the biggest reach I have heard in a long time.

The tour was in quadraphonic and there have been rumors for years of a quad mix yet you proclaim with the old tired argument that it is like colouring a black and white film? You of course are entitled to an opinion, but again, I consider your momentary lapse of reason a long reach. Oh wait, that just got a 5.1 NEW mix! Not a remix because it was never released in multichannel, a new mix.

tedhead, Galactus2, PDK and 4 others like this.
  9. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Agreed 100%. Floyd in 5.1 is an amazing thing. :righton:

maxwell2323, J_D__, RangerXT and 6 others like this.
  10. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

FYI, Dave Gilmore is a seasoned jazz guitarist.

11. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I would have loved to see this in Ozzy's prime! lol

12. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

It's just you lol

tkl7, Galactus2, AZRunner and 5 others like this.
  13. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Yes it is definitely just you ;). Was Beck's Sea Change, Roxy Music's Avalon, Dire Straits' Brothers In Arms and many other surround titles originally intended to be in surround? That is a question I do not have the answer for. But I am positive that the three titles I mentioned sound incredible in surround. As far as I know those three titles do not have quad mixes.

So essentially you're saying that unless a specific title has a quad mix it should not have a 5.1 mix. Is that true?

14. Sluggy

Sluggy Forum Resident

FYI, Dave Gilmore was 4 years old when 'Saucerful' was recorded. Pretty sure it's a different guy.

15. PDK

PDK Forum Resident

I abhor believing something so petty....but....

16. rez21

rez21 Well-Known Member

I do not mean this in any way to be offensive, but you literally have no idea what you are talking about.

17. riskylogic

riskylogic Forum Resident

We could discuss the merits of the 50th anniversary 5.1 remix of In the Court of the Crimson King vs the 40th anniversary remix. Personally, I think the 50th is better except maybe for Epitaph.

18. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

The argument that we don't need a 5.1 mix of Animals because it was never mixed in quad seems off. The 5.1 mixes of DSOTM and WYWH are good; they have nothing to do with the 4.0 mixes from the 70's.

19. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

I for one would love to hear "Dogs" and "Sheep" swirl around my chair in the glorious 5.1.

What's up with this release anyway?

J_D__, BeatleJWOL, epp56 and 3 others like this.
  20. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

It was finished a while back. Jon Carin heard it and apparently loves the new mix. The release appears to be indefinitely delayed.

21. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

Thanks rontoon.

Hopefully. Some of the band or us are still alive and in some hearing, when (if) it comes out.

Regards

22. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

I am sure it’s a different guy indeed. :winkgrin:

23. bettsaj

bettsaj “I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing.”

We also know for sure that Aubrey Powel had been comissioned into doing the artwork..... As fas as I know that's all done and dusted. I can only think the delay is around additional content that they maybe can't agree on. Marbles, scarf, maybe a small inflatable pig that you can blow up and float above your record deck

24. Sluggy

Sluggy Forum Resident

This NEEDS to happen.

25. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

The irrational aversion some folks have to 5.1 mixes being created is bewildering.... It seems akin to someone saying "I don't like pizza, so pizza should be illegal" lol