Pink Floyd Animals in 5.1 Speculation, Now Pricing & Shipping thread starting Page 248

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Apr 16, 2018.

1. edfom

edfom Forum Resident

According to setlist.fm they did the usual '77 live version of the album in Cleveland.

Sheep
    Pigs on the Wing 1
    Dogs
    Pigs on the Wing 2
    Pigs (Three Different Ones)

2. klockwerk

klockwerk Forum Resident

Yep. Kinda surprised they did them in that order, but they did it that way because of the visuals. Still they all sounded just like the studio album.

3. edfom

edfom Forum Resident

It's the order they played for the entire tour if I recall. It wouldn't work for vinyl though. The big things would be the addition of sound effects, ending PotW 2 with Snowy's solo and the songs being a bit longer. I think the flow of the live performance works better than the studio album, but that's just me. Having a studio version of that is one of those things that I really want but know will never happen.

RangerXT likes this.
  4. RangerXT

RangerXT Forum Resident

I think I remember hearing that it was actually the order they originally wanted for the album but due to vinyl limitations they couldn't do it

Studio_Two likes this.
  5. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

I'm a big fan of the live version of Animals. I find the songs rock harder and edgier, some of David's best playing of all time. Pigs has an extended, bluesy jam towards the end.

The quad effects were used throughout the show and were more than just sound effects. Wright's keyboards often swirled around the stadium (like during the spacey bridge during Dogs) and Gilmour's blistering guitar solo during Money was panned around the speakers as well. That's only a couple of examples.

The order that the songs were played are in the same order that they were played in on their previous tour under working titles. The running order on the album is how it was always meant to be and had nothing to do with time restrictions. That had more to do with the running order on the 8 Track tape where Pigs on the Wing 1 & 2 were bridged by a Snowy White solo also played by him during the show.

Beefalo, RangerXT, BeatleJWOL and 8 others like this.
  6. jɑmbo

jɑmbo Forum Resident

Pigs live in 1977 also had an extra guitar solo after the second verse. That, coupled with the jam following the final solo, made the song about 7-9 minutes longer at every show, so not exactly like the record.

Sheep also had a small organ solo at the end from Wright, in place of the fade out on the album.

I think there may have also been a bit more guitar solo in the back half of Dogs as well.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
    Beefalo, Big Pasi, RangerXT and 2 others like this.
  7. bettsaj

bettsaj “I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing.”

8. rez21

rez21 Well-Known Member

I can tell you it is not

9. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

The blu ray's have 3 multichannel mixes. The origional quadraphonic mix, a new 5.1 mix and a slim downed raw mix. The first two are disappointing to most and the raw mix is excellent, mix wise.

rontoon likes this.
  10. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

This is the biggest reason I hope for some kind of official representation from this tour, even if it's not of the best audio quality. Dave has a ferocious aggression to his playing that fits the tone of the material so well. In addition Roger is borderline manic which compliments Dave's playing so well and makes for some incredibly interesting, almost violent performance. Seeing the band recognize the quality of the performance and possibly exposing more people to it is easily my biggest wishlist item of all Floyd material.

Beefalo, Billy_Sunday and RangerXT like this.
  11. Alternative4

Alternative4 One of These Days I'll Get an Early Night

Rick's piano on Wish You Were here during the 77 tour made it sound quite different to the album version.

rontoon, superstar19 and RangerXT like this.
  12. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Here's what Nick said in an interview from the new eclipsed magazine, translated back to English by me:

eclipsed: Pink Floyd have released the "Early Years" box set, now the "Later Years", and before that, the Immersion box sets of "Dark Side", "Wish You Were Here" and "The Wall". So, there's only one thing missing now.

Nick: What is it?

The big "Animals" box.

Oh, right... Maybe we're currently lacking the necessary enthusiasm for that. But sometime in the future, it's possible. There certainly aren't any concrete plans. "Animals" was, in my opinion, production-wise the weakest of all our albums. So it could really benefit from a new remastering.

(I suppose he means post-DSOTM, because surely the earlier albums don't sound better than Animals... and we already got a remastering in 2011. I guess he mixed up remaster and remix, like so many do...)

PDK, andrewskyDE, RangerXT and 8 others like this.
  13. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Don't agree with you on that one. Pre-DSotM they worked with engineers that were among the best in that time. The music itself sounds a bit dated, but sound wise it is really good stuff. Play the latest cd mix of Atom Heart Mother real loud (take Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast as a test) and you'll hear what I mean. Only the first two-three albums might cause a problem, since a lot of the original tapes seem to be missing.

14. JulesRules

Atom Heart Mother still has mostly non-stereo drums (is Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast the only one with stereo drums?) and additionally (on the title track), the problems with the orchestra overdubs and the band bleeding through. The quad mix actually shows a bit more of the original tapes' quality.

rd1 and RangerXT like this.
  15. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

Of course, when I clicked 'Like', I don't mean I like the confirmation that a remixed Animals won't be coming out soon.

PDK, RangerXT, PhoffiFozz and 3 others like this.
  16. JulesRules

Yeah, I know that dilemma! :idea:

RangerXT, PhoffiFozz and Geordiepete like this.
  17. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

Doesn't this contradict the fact that we know it's already done per Roger and was essentially waiting while they look for more material? I swear these guys say stuff sometimes that doesn't jive with previous answers or stuff we know.

18. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

The only thing I recall from Roger is news that Guthrie had completed the 5.1 remix, and Aubrey Powell was working on updated artwork.

19. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

No contradiction really. Work has been done but currently there is a lack of enthusiasm.

20. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

In the context of big box sets, how is one new mix being done, contradict the fact that an Animals box isn't complete and may not be as important as we all hope?

21. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

A "Final Cut" box set would be pretty cool as well.

PDK and JulesRules like this.
  22. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Or they could just release a middle years box set and cover everything from '73 - '86.

RangerXT, Spadeygrove and JulesRules like this.
  23. JulesRules

I like the idea (in fact I posted on the appropriate thread), but I wouldn't want it to be another high-priced affair.
    There are certainly things that interest me from that era, but I guess the album is not seen as something a lot of people are familiar with, and also as more of a Waters solo album than a band record. Getting Gilmour and Mason to OK something connected to that album might be problematic.

JediJoker and zinan like this.
  24. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

I am currently listening to animals right now. Its original Uk release and still has the best sound for me. We all like different types of recordings. The original vinyl release has that beautiful analogue sound thats more relaxed. I have few versions of animals as its my favourite floyd album with many versions that sound very different. Some sound harsher than others.
    The new vinyl versions taken from digital sources just sound like the cd remasters.
    As i have always said, if the original release was good on vinyl then its unlikely to be bettered by remastering.

Billy_Sunday and Dennis Metz like this.
  25. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

All I want is the album in 5.1. Analysis of the vinyl pressings is for another thread.