Pink Floyd Animals in 5.1 Speculation, Now Pricing & Shipping thread starting Page 248

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Apr 16, 2018.

1. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Will this all change if Roger dies and David & Nick have all the control over the catalog?

2. PDK

PDK Forum Resident

This is such disappointing news on a number of levels.

3. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I think Roger and David are in competition for biggest a-hole on the planet. People just give David a pass because he plays smokin' guitar. It doesn't seem to be Roger holding up Animals.

RangerXT, PDK, snkcube and 11 others like this.
  4. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

I guess not. The only reason that there are three of them and no heir of Rick Wright, is that he officially left Pink Floyd Inc. during the Wall.

And to be honest, I expect Roger will be a grumpy old man at 100.

J_D__ likes this.
  5. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

I'd really rather not think about this in those terms. But no, it wouldn't change anything, other than finally ending this war and thus maybe mellowing the others into releasing Guthries's mixes.

6. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

Have James Guthrie already remixed it?

JulesRules likes this.
  7. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

So disappointing from a fan perspective. I’ve enjoyed both JG & AJs remastering work on all the Floyd stuff we’ve had since 2011, and whilst their approaches to 5.1 mixing are audibly different to each other, they are peerless when compared to other mixing engineers working for other bands.

Between hearing directly from Roger & Polly, together with other comments (Jon Carin, David choking up during TLY promotional podcasts when talking about the post Final Cut/pre Momentary era) and the ‘blocked’ Early Years 5.1 mixes+lack of new/remastered Pulse audio on TLY, the picture that is emerging of the warring camps is not a good one. As others have said, this does not bode well for either any new Floyd reissue projects or for issuing any projects already in the can (5.1 mixes of Meddle, OBC, Animals).

With those who previously were able to work with both camps having taking a side (Jon Carin, arguably Guthrie), I’m not sure even Nick’s legendary neutral arbitrator status can help reconcile the two sides and their positions at this point.

JulesRules, RangerXT and zinan like this.
  8. triply

triply Forum Resident

When the Immersion editions were announced, Animals was my holy grail for a Pink Floyd release.
    We got phenomenal releases in TDSotM Immersion, the WYWH Immersion, The Early Years box set and The Later Years box set. Animals however, has always been elusive.

I'm sure it's not just Roger holding things up. David probably wants to show who's boss and siding with David is more difficult for me because I have an irrational hatred towards Polly - who seems to be all over the Pink Floyd legacy now.

I don't understand why David is not willing to go with a democratic vote process. He's probably thinking that Nick will vote with Roger. Heck, he's probably campaigning to get Polly equal rights as a voter!!

The only good to come off this is that David will probably release stuff from TLY set separately next year. He needs his annual income.

9. m20gull

m20gull Forum Resident

I think the biggest disappointment for me (among plenty of others) is the recognition that increasing age is no barrier to petty childishness.

They could both do with looking around them and realising why they are in a situation where they can fully indulge themselves.

10. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Agreed.

I'm also simply disappointed that the fans get left out of the equation. I know there will be those that say we're not entitled to anything, the band owe us nothing, and be glad for what we've gotten, but it's not the entire picture. Without the fans and their love of the music, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

With physical sales drying up, time is running out on us ever getting the Immersion Box for Animals. I suppose they could eventually simply throw out a Blu-Ray with 5.1, but it's a bit, meh.

This is just another case where the musicians involved are the worst curators of their work. All the problems with these releases is personal, not music related, and I think that's a terrible shame. Sadly, once the musicians has moved on to the next realm, the legacy will be managed by suits, and the suits will want the money. That's when we'll get what we want, imo.

11. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

Roger isnt holding it up at all, he wants it released. Have you seen the interview that was posted? Have you read any of my posts?

12. Philrock90

Philrock90 Forum Resident

So another set that won't see light of day for however long

13. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

This may be true. Roger seems more vocal about it then David.

dkmonroe likes this.
  14. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

I must say that in many ways they are both right. I can see many of their points from the respective sides. Yes it is a shame they only get on in waves but such is life.

Instead of lamenting about right or wrong, i am just grateful they gave us so many wonderful works of art.

15. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Whatever gave you that idea? :magoo:

Shvartze Shabbos and rontoon like this.
  16. Billy_Sunday likes this.
  17. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Most of you just prefer to get wrapped up in the drama of Waters vs. Gilmour (and sometimes Mason). This thread is out to 81 pages without a release. If Animals came out tomorrow on SACD in 5.1, there'd only be a few posts about ordering and shipping notices. Then the conversation would soon die out.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
  18. dkmonroe

OK everyone, in future ONLY talk about things that are actually released. If you hear that something is coming but isn't yet here, it is not a proper topic for conversation.

RangerXT, Jimijam, PDK and 9 others like this.
  19. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Wow, you really told us !

:laugh:

JulesRules, PDK, superstar19 and 3 others like this.
  20. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

He said it. Right?

JulesRules, superstar19 and Myke like this.
  21. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

I’d love an Animals set as much as the next person, but we all have the two hopes of getting this box set: you have Bob Hope and then you have no hope. Bob Hope is dead so what does that leave you with? :D

boggs likes this.
  22. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'm not privy to what's going on behind the scenes and neither is anyone else here besides rontoon :D. But wasn't it Waters who stopped the release of Andy Jackson's Meddle and OBC multi-channel mixes? So it seems that Gilmour is returning the favor. Not saying who's right or wrong but it seems there's enough blame to go around for everyone involved.

Waters and Gilmour have more money than they'll ever need IMO. So I highly doubt it's about money or the need for more for these two.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
    RangerXT, mcallister, zinan and 3 others like this.
  23. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

Speak for yourself. :p

drum_cas, Jimbino and Bill Mac like this.
  24. dkmonroe

I have heard that claim repeated often but I don't recall seeing any solid evidence for it. Maybe @rontoon 's mentioned it, in which case it's credible. Don't get me wrong, it's certainly possible and probably true, I just am not sure whether it's established fact or just one of those things that gets repeated until we all believe it. Nevertheless, I am not impressed by Gilmour "returning the favor", if that's indeed what's happening. If these guys wanna prank each other, let them leave flaming bags of poo on each other's doorstep rather than hold up releases that we all want to hear, and stand ready to pay money for.

And I'm almost certainly biased, but the idea that Gilmour would want to supplant James Guthrie at this late date just frustrates me. I mean, Guthrie's touched nearly every Floyd release in the last thirty years or more and the Floyd's catalog in every format has been very high-quality. It's not like he's screwed everything up and needs to be stopped before he kills again. It just seems like a pointless thing to fight over, and I'm surprised that Gilmour can't see how harmful it is.

RangerXT, mando_dan, PH416156 and 2 others like this.
  25. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Pardon me... I edited my earlier post ;).

jamesc and rontoon like this.