Pink Floyd Animals in 5.1 Speculation, Now Pricing & Shipping thread starting Page 248

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Apr 16, 2018.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

does that need to be extracted also?

2. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

Right, especially after seeing earlier that the sound effects were thrown into the mix later and would be an issue. That's really too bad. I had hoped that the "baking" of the tapes would help and not do any damage. I remember reading somewhere about the difference in glue being a huge difference.

Animals seems to be the last album where they used glue that came from whale fat...how ironic. Here's hoping Mr. Guthrie lets loose a little more with the mix than past releases.

rontoon likes this.
  3. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Really? “Often times”? I can think of hundreds and hundreds of non-contemporaneous 5.1 mixes - and the vast, vast majority did NOT have a new stereo mix come from those efforts. Just as examples off the top of my head, ummm...Dark Side Of The Moon and Wish You Were Here.

I’m not saying it couldn’t happen; as I stated, there is certainly precedent within the Pink Floyd world it could happen. But the stronger (IMO) contradictory evidence doesn’t support the notion a stereo remix of Animals is “likely”.

4. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

But aren't they made by Wright on keyboard? Maybe not very musical, but a step away from a room full of clock alarms going off...

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  5. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I think Wilson started that, but even he doesn't release them all. I believe it's a part of the process, and on occasion they include it because they find it somewhat of an improvement/difference that's worthwhile.

6. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

DSOTM 5.1 mix (2003) - James Guthrie
    DSOTM 4.0 quad mix (1973) - Alan Parsons
    WYWH 5.1 mix (2009) - James Guthrie
    WYWH 4.0 quad mix (1975) - Brian Humphries and Peter James

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  7. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Too late for an edit, but thanks to the Immersion boxes, I at least know I possess all of these, except Obscured By Clouds.
    Thanks. :tiphat:

Bill Mac likes this.
  8. leefarber

leefarber Senior Member

Sorry, where is the 5.1 mix of Obscured By Clouds? I know the stereo remix is on CD in the Early Years box, but I didn’t realize there’s a 5.1 as well...

formu_la likes this.
  9. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Mary Whitehouse is the only one of the three pigs who has been identified: Mary Whitehouse - Wikipedia

She was a major kill joy, and the broadcasters should not have given her a platform, IMO.

10. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Are you sure there is a 5.1 mix of Obscured By Clouds on the The Early Years box set or the 1972: Obfusc/ation set? I have that set and there is no 5.1 mix listed. There's a 5.1 mix of Live at Pompeii but that's it.

Pink Floyd - The Early Years 1972 Obfusc/ation

formu_la likes this.
  11. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Hmm okay, sorry. Probably that was an automatical thought, because Meddle had both channel versions, so why not the other album?
    Anyway, my headache isn't completely gone yet. I should switch my head to 'stand by' for now.

12. JimW

Didn't AJ do the mix, and it was originally announced, but then pulled at the last minute, like the Meddle 5.1, only OBC was completely removed?

rontoon likes this.
  13. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

5.1 blu-ray audio would be wonderful.
    But an immersion that includes the demos and a live show & 5.1 would be 100x better!

14. Myke

:doh: ...great, now my reference post is pointless. :laugh:

15. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Maybe there will be both an Animals Immersion set and a standalone Blu-ray or SACD. That'll keep everybody happy (maybe) :). Pink Floyd just did something similar with The Early Years 1965 - 1972 box set. There's the full box set and individual sets. They could do it like the Alan Parsons Project - Tales Of Mystery And Imagination set. Like with The Early Years 1965 - 1972 set there's a box set and a standalone Blu-ray.

The Alan Parsons Project - Tales Of Mystery And Imagination Edgar Alan Poe
    The Alan Parsons Project - Tales Of Mystery And Imagination Edgar Allan Poe

pinkrudy likes this.
  16. van1

van1 Forum Resident

'Whitehouse' on Roger's latest tour now gets to be used in the context of the Presidential 'Whitehouse'

17. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

This has been speculated, but there's never been confirmation... or even a formal acknowledgement of the 'accidental' Meddle remix release

JimW likes this.
  18. Myke

Interesting. In two years time, you'd think those involved would've been questioned about it by at least a few fans. Earlier today, while enjoying the burned DVD-A of Meddle, I once again reflected fondly on the SH.tv member who so generously sent it to me. :hugs:

Hattipper, drum_cas and Sigma6 like this.
  19. JimW

Well, my memory sure ain't what it used to be, but I could have sworn the 1st promo pics that leaked out showed a 5.1 mix for OBC, but those pics were quickly replaced.

But as I age, the more prone to raving and drooling I become... so I guess that's just my mind messin' w/ me again.

Hattipper and PDK like this.
  20. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

Shame I only listen to stereo

21. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

I might be swayed if it has extra goodies that's worth getting like outtakes or unheard concerts from its time. Kinda like how Steven Wilson gives out a Stereo Mix and 5.1 disc whenever he remixes an album like Jethro Tull for example.

22. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

That’s how I remeber it as well, listed in leaked promo materials, then it disappeared.

ODShowtime, Haggis Wampovich and JimW like this.
  23. Myke

@JimW and @AZRunner , you're both remembering correctly. I Googled " Obscured By Clouds 5.1 " earlier, and two years ago became now. That very leaked promo was being talked about everywhere ! :agree:

AZRunner and JimW like this.
  24. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I wonder if the albums with 5.1 mixes by Andy Jackson were blocked by Roger Waters? It seems Waters prefers James Guthrie and Gilmour prefers Andy Jackson. Hmmmm.... another possible topic for disagreement between the two ;).

ohnothimagen likes this.
  25. JimW

I believe there was a lot of speculation about that at the time- if not here, over at QQ. Some blamed Guthrie himself. But IIRC (far from a given), it seemed to be (if not outright determined to be) that it came down to Roger not getting notice of the 5.1 mixes until last minute, so he had no time to approve them, thus they were dropped at the last minute (which was why there was that picture to begin with).

I really like AJ's 5,1 mix of DB; I hope OBC and Meddle get out some day. I wish I could hear Meddle in 5.1, but that box was way outta my budget. It actually worked out for me that they dropped them, otherwise I woulda been tearing my hair out. I struggled passing on WYWH and DSotM Immersions, but at least I had the 5,1 sacd's of those. And I did get them eventually used at a "decent" price. Don't see the box ever reaching my price level; I settled for just getting deviation.

And I like Guthrie's mixes better than some (many/most?). While I'd like him to be more adventurous, his mixes did have better fidelity imo than the quads (which they should, given the much better tech when he did them). But if I had to choose, I'd take AJ. Though IIRC his Meddle 5,1 mix reportedly wasn't quite up to the level of DB's.

tedhead and rontoon like this.