Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother to be released in Japan with bonus Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by NunoBento, Jun 16, 2021.

1. lapepalz

lapepalz Forum Resident

What is the Master? is it remaster 2011? Thanks,

2. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Yes, IIRC.

3. lapepalz

lapepalz Forum Resident

Thank you!

4. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

5. JGC59

JGC59 New Member

I just went through the discussion on this album with a view to a possible purchase
    Having the Early Years box set, which features the live version in BlueRay, I'm not going to follow up. Edition for collectors.
    For fans of this album, I advise you to listen to a version from 2012 on France Inter:
    #27 - PINK FLOYD | EMISSION SPECIALE du 09 mars 2012 - France Inter

For non-French speakers, this version was performed by the Philharmonic Orchestra of Radio France on January 12, 2012 at the Théâtre du Châtelet with the exceptional participation of Ron Geesin, co-composer of the work with the Pink Floyd.
    With an encore at the end of the concert.

6. Can’t stand watching his unboxing videos because inevitably I’m going to witness him manhandling the contents with his meathooks as he bends, folds and mutilates each of the components in a beautiful, pristine Japanese set. :sigh:

7. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

My issue with him is that what he says is pretty much inaudible at normal listening levels...

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  8. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I played through this package last night as due to the official hi res downloads the pig is flying above chez Torch these days. The cd of the album is to my ears just the 2011 or the recent Japanese mini sleeve version of the 2011 remaster. Packaging is lovely and I do like these Japanese mini sleeves and 7 inch sleeves.
    Expensive yes but done really well. The 2 film bits on the blu-ray are fun to watch. Obviously getting the gear to the site was not easy in the rain and mud (a Japanese Glastonbury).
    The audio of Atom Heart Mother which plays over the first longer bit of film is in my opinion great. Sounds terrific. Can I tell my mates it is from this Japanese 1971 concert (from Glen Povey's great book they played on 2 days at the festival)?

9. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

10. The Real Wizard

The Real Wizard Forum Resident

I love this place.

tug_of_war, frank3si, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  11. RAZORMADE

RAZORMADE I crawled out from the bottom in the dark...

12. youknow

youknow Forum Resident

From Pink Floyd's social media:
    Pink Floyd's Atom Heart Mother will be released December 8th as a special package in a 7-inch gatefold sleeve: the album on CD and a Blu-ray featuring footage of AHM performed at Hakone Aphrodite Festival, Japan in August 1971 (originally part of The Early Years box set). The film has been upgraded from a recently discovered original film reel and includes a behind the scenes mini documentary.
    Originally only released in Japan in 2021, the set contains some unique memorabilia – a special photo book containing many rare, never-seen-before photos, reproductions of the pamphlet, poster, concert ticket, and flier distributed at the event.
    The only Floyd footage at Hakone Aphrodite that exists is that of the 16-minute-long suite Atom Heart Mother. The location of the master film and how it was shot had been a mystery for a long time. However, after fifty years, the original 16mm film was discovered in a fan's garage. The meticulous processes of digitizing, restoring and remastering was undertaken and finally this enhanced video will be released outside of Japan.
    You can order now through this link (not working right now):
    https://pinkfloyd.lnk.to/AtomHeartMotherHakone

surfling, ItsNotIt's and rontoon like this.
  13. GiorgioV

GiorgioV Forum Resident

What an unexpected, interesting release :D
    Ordered on Amazon.fr for barely 40,00 Euro, at the moment.

youknow likes this.
  14. GiorgioV

GiorgioV Forum Resident

...on second thought, I've canceled my order. I have the Early Years box set and, to me, a bump in video quality does not justify the cost (it is one song, after all, and I already own AHM multiple times :D

15. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Amazon has the original Japanese version for about the same price.

16. stillrockin

stillrockin Forum Resident

Another case of re-re-remaster-itis methinks

17. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

It hasn't been remastered.

18. stillrockin

stillrockin Forum Resident

Okay, upgrade-itis :righton:

19. GiorgioV

GiorgioV Forum Resident

You know, in the end I had decided to keep my order after all. You know, it's Pink Floyd, rare performance, beautifully restored video, even 15 minutes are worth the cost... Then I've read that not only it is just 15 minutes, but it's not even footage of the guys actually playing the damn song!
    Apparently, it is a known fact, but I have no use whatsoever for something like that.

20. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Local record store had this and I couldnt resist. Really dig the picture book & package. (Show poster is one more (repro) for the collection, and a cool one.)

But the Blu-ray won't play. Menu displays fine, but click on the titles and:

"This operation is currently prohibited for this disc."

Is this anyone else's experience? Clicking Top Menu in Options doesn't help. I thought this was an international release. My player is brand new and supposedly plays all regions. Apparently not.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2024
  21. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Doh! Just needed to use the BD-ROM play button. (For any other dweebs out there.)

This really is a sweet upgrade. Amazing these things, long lost master film reels and tapes, just keep getting found.

ItsNotIt's, frank3si and Dan Steely like this.