Pink Floyd Delicate Sound Of Thunder 2020 Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sis+erRay, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Stephen Birkett

Stephen Birkett Forum Resident

I use a system in the UK called SKYQ. I imagine there are equivalents world wide. You can stream / download / record. I find downloading / recording reminds me to watch.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  2. Stephen Birkett

Yeah - appreciate its a shortened version. Ill probably end up buying it in the end!!

Eric_Generic likes this.
  3. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

Oh cool, never heard of that.

4. Stephen Birkett

A lot of people here don't like SKY as they want everything for free. I pay c£92.00 per month for a multiscreen platform throughout the house that includes my broadband, phone line rental, 2 TB of memory and a Full sports package. Also once SKYQ is superseded by something better they own the kit so they will replace FOC as long as you subscribe. You have to keep managing your contract though and keep at them to keep the price reasonable. As a Sports fan I like the service.

coffeetime and Eric_Generic like this.
  5. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Pink Floyd
    Delicate Sound Of Thunder - Restored, Re-edited, Remixed

[​IMG]

Ordered this morning from Amazon will have it by Tuesday 11/24. At least now I have a long awaited remaster of this original 1988 2 cd set. Plus eight extra tracks left off the original 1988 release on this 2020 reissue is awesome.

CWChrome and JulesRules like this.
  6. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

If I'll get any version, it will be the box set.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  7. Psychedelic Good Trip

I'll get the blu ray eventually. With all these box sets I gotta be cheap for some of these current box set releases. I still gotta get Zappa Halloween 81 box and the Jimi Hendrix Maui 3 cd set.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
  8. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Which soundtrack are you listening to on the BluRay? I ask on account of my own reaction to the DTS-MA multichannel track from The Later Years thread:

Wondering if what you’re hearing might be a consequence of the multichannel soundtrack being ‘folded down’ to stereo, or only the L/R front channels of the 5.1 mix being reproduced?

9. Haggischomper

Haggischomper Scottish AF

Enjoying the vinyl set thus far (I'm on the final side) but, my god, that outer shell is ridiculously flimsy. Thankfully, we don't play the cover, though!

K.K. Bing, mestreech and groovelocked like this.
  10. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

I can't speak for giacomus, however the rather low DR on the (stereo) CDs has been discussed in the Later Years thread.

coffeetime likes this.
  11. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

preordered at best buy. first my shipment was delayed and now it it says if they dont send it by the 27th they will refund me.

its no big deal i can buy it elsewhere but would have been nice to have it at launch.

12. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

There are a ridiculous number of ad breaks on the Sky Arts broadcast. A 1hr 56min programme ended up with a running time of 1hr 26min when the ads were removed....but it's more that they had them literally every 10 minutes...would have been better to have longer breaks, but less of them. But perhaps that was the point.

EG.

13. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Mildly curious if the stereo track is identical to the audio version, as unfortunately seems to be the case with most music video releases.

14. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

stereo track is the same as the audio cd

Sytze likes this.
  15. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Not in the way it's edited, if I remember the thread discussing Later Years right

16. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I don't want to derail the thread, but I did want to comment on one part.

It's got nothing to do with them "want[ing] everything for free". Sky have been predatory in many ways, such as their Sports coverage. They locked previously free events behind a paywall. That doesn't win you friends. Paying £92 a month is more than I'd be willing to pay for their services. In fact, I only want to watch Football - and the cheapest you can get that is their online service at £40 a month. I'm interested in ONE TEAM - so that's for around 6 hours of entertainment a month or so - or around £6 an hour. To add insult to injury - they run commercials during that time also.

I'm happy you're happy, but paying for TV is so 1990's. The Internet solved that particular problem, imo.

Apologies all. Carry on. :D

17. giacomus

giacomus Forum Resident

The stereo track. It happened that in the second half of shine on, full band playing, and especially towards the end, I felt the need to turn up the volume quite a bit. Then I rewound the song. First part with keyboards only was louder, the second, Richard + David, irritatingly shrill and super loud.

I will compare this with the hi res stereo available through Qobuz and report back. I expect it to be not as bad as the blu ray track.

coffeetime likes this.
  18. giacomus

giacomus Forum Resident

Yes! the stereo track!

19. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

I don't mean to bug you and I respect your choices, but I'm saying this just in case you weren't aware - The bluray in the box has extra tracks NOT on the standalone bluray. So if you want the CDs and the bluray, you might like to consider the box.

If, however, you were aware of that content disparity between both blurays, then disregard this message. :)

ARK, M321115, Eric_Generic and 2 others like this.
  20. Psychedelic Good Trip

I really don't need the blu ray but thanks for letting me know.

ARK, Hollowsanctuary and Anthrax like this.
  21. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

So what's the general consesus between the original CD and the 2019 Remix?

22. AlanDistro

AlanDistro Forum Resident

If I own the Later Years box set, is there any reason to buy this? Anything exclusive/unique? Sorry, I know this has probably been answered a few times.

23. Not unless you want the Polyvinyl Chlorides. The 3LP edition is the first time DSOT 2019 is available on phonograph records.

Eric_Generic and AlanDistro like this.
  24. AlanDistro

AlanDistro Forum Resident

Cool, thanks! I'm good with digital, just wanted to make sure they didn't change anything else for this release.

Lownote30 and Eric_Generic like this.
  25. Stephen Birkett

Vaughan I here what you are saying but lets take SKY / BT Sport out of the equation which is my main driver to pay. I follow a league one side so there is very little value on a my club level but I enjoy the coverage of the Premier League and European competitions.

However lets total what you could get via the Internet.
    Broadband and line rental £35.00
    Netflix £7
    Amazon Prime £8
    Disney £6
    Britbox £5

Over £60.00's worth there unless of course the content is sourced illegally and of course that is another complete can of worms.

"The Internet solved that particular problem, imo." Ill be called naive here but how on earth can content improve and be of value if everybody helps themselves for free?