Pink Floyd Delicate Sound Of Thunder 2020 Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sis+erRay, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Well, this is all off-topic, so I won't linger. TV has become a smaller part of my life. A VERY small part. I prefer my music, and browsing the net. I have Virgin as my Internet provider, Prime for my Amazon deliveries. I think I get movies with Prime, but I don't really know. Youtube, where I can pick and choose what to watch, and when, has replaced almost everything TV did for me. I'd not pay for Netflix, let alone Disney. I don't even know what Britbox is.

Where my master plan falls down is Sports. Being a Brit, you'll know the eternal debate - has wads of cash been good, or bad for Football? Well, it's been good because we have a lot of great players in our game, and hence a lot of great teams. It's exciting to watch. On the down side, it's gotten very expensive (a ticket on game day for my club is going to set you back somewhere between £50 and £60 a game) and watching it on TV has become ridiculously priced. Plus all the silly rules - such as no live games broadcast at 15:00, weird starting times (midday, really?) and then the farce that has been "competition" in the market place where instead of bringing prices down, they increased (to watch my team throughout the year I'd need to pay for Sky Sports, BT Sport, and Prime) and you have a bit of a horror show. If you support a League One side it's even worse, since the chances of you competing in the upper echelons are now remote to none.

So, I abandoned TV pretty much altogether. The downside is - someone will bring up "Game of Thrones" in a conversation, and I'll be like, "really, that's a dragon thing right?" :D

iloveguitars and fishcane like this.
  2. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

No consensus.

3. Stratopeter

Stratopeter Forum Resident

I'm not sure if I buy the box set... I'm a CD only kind of guy...

Gus Tomato likes this.
  4. PatMcC

PatMcC Active Member

Is the sound quality of the DSOT 2020 remix/reissue much better the the 2017 DSOT reissue.

5. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

If you mean a comparison between the 2017 vinyl reissue and the 2020 vinyl remix, they’re Two completely different animals.
    The 2017 is the original mix, which is excellent, but lacks 9 songs from the setlist and many songs are heavily edited. I would also add that this particular reissue is not one of my favourites and I’d favour the original pressing.
    The 2020 is a new remix, much drier (which I don’t particularly enjoy), but features the complete setlist and many extended version of previously known recordings.
    To sum it up, you gotta have both.

6. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

This was the first tour I saw Floyd live, and I enjoyed the original DSOT despite its flaws. But based on what I've read here I'm pretty discouraged about this reissue. Please tell me I'm missing something because this is one I was looking forward to.
    • The standard blu-ray was authored to ensure that to get all the filmed performances I have to buy an expensive box set.
    • The CDs contain the complete performance but the sound is quite compressed.

RockAddict and superstar19 like this.
  7. PatMcC

PatMcC Active Member

Thanks for the info...I purchased the 2020 reissue today but wanted some feedback before I tore off the wrapper.

8. M321115

M321115 Forum Resident

Is anyone having playback issues with the Blu-ray Disc? My copy seems to lose the picture and sound for a brief second. If I “rewind”, no issues but it will happen again later on.

No issues with the DVD, though.

9. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

Hey Al, this tour was the first Floyd show for me too. I'm just finishing up the the 3xLP set and I thought they did a fantastic job. I didn't get the sense that these were excessively compressed. Like most releases they probably overdid it more than necessary, but I didn't notice any excessive brickwalling. I also went with the deluxe CD/BR set which I hope to watch this weekend.

Al Gator likes this.
  10. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

Thanks for the feedback. I don't listen to vinyl but am eager for your comments on the sound quality of the CDs and BR.

Syracuse for me, and I also saw a show at Giants Stadium (NJ).

superstar19 likes this.
  11. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

Very cool. I saw them at the Pontiac Silverdome (Detroit). My friends and I got my older brother to take us to the show (we paid for his ticket). Had a such a blast and this release brings back such great memories of the show as well as the original release which I got on cassette. Got it Christmas '88 along with Super Mario Bros 2, and played the hell out of both of them that Christmas break. I plan to watch the BR sometime this weekend so will have to let you know here or DNC.

Al Gator likes this.
  12. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

The extra tracks can only be watched with the bluray on the box, that's correct, and they're a bonus feature, not part of the main film. The CD contains the full set in correct sequence.

In my case, I went for the box as I really wanted the extra video. Still, paying around $50 for the bluray and CDs in that nice little box didn't seem overly expensive.

13. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Same boat here... to the T

14. Liquid77

Liquid77 Forum Resident

I just watched the Blu-ray start to finish and had no issues. Love this release and now look forward to Knebworth & Venice.

15. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

The Knebworth concert is incredible, hidden gem of the box set a energetic performance in the rain

I get people are complaining about Yet Another Movie & Terminal Frost not being in the main feature but with them being on the same disc in the deluxe edition. You can switch between them and get the full 1st set. We shouldnt have to do that but it is what it is and it works for me. The Yet Another Movie Terminal Frost section is really good the best capture of the light show during YAM and TF IMO

JulesRules and Liquid77 like this.
  16. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Where did you find the DSOT box set for around $50? Thanks!

17. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Amazon.

18. The Revealer

The Revealer Forum Status: Paused Indefinitely

Only just got mine from The Official PF via Media Mail in a soft envelope. My disc tray plastic was cracked. :disgust:

The bright side is that the new 'film' kinda blows me away. Just watched the first set. It's hard not to summon the disappointment of an abridged concert, yet there is a very nice pacing to the video editing and the sound is wonderful to my ears in 5.1 surround. The full screen movie segments that rolled on the big eye are very nice to have in scale and uninterrupted edited in to the music at key points. Dogs of War in particular brings me back to the live show I attended.

I won't get bogged down in little details. I will say that the focus on Rick Wright is welcome, if a little idealized. Barely saw much of John Carin there. Even Guy is barely in the highlight. Quite a few new angles are revealed. So, it's rather revised as a document. I'm not complaining in the least.

coffeetime and M321115 like this.
  19. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I can't keep track of which release is which to be honest, but a buddy bought the Blu-ray recently and we watched it last night. Pretty awesome. I watched the VHS enough back in the day to be able to tell that many of the shots were different (there were a few really cool particular shots I was so used to seeing and it felt weird to not get them), but it was still a great (abridged) show to watch. That material from A Momentary Lapse of Reason is so underrated. And that film still features my all-time performances of both Sorrow and One of These Days. All hail the mighty Floyd.

St. Troy, M321115, JulesRules and 2 others like this.
  20. The Revealer

The Revealer Forum Status: Paused Indefinitely

I compared Yet Another Movie... in current hi-res and '80's CD and am quite clear now why I never bothered to get into the previous standard releases of this live music. I can't stand the way the effects make the entire presentation feel like I'm watching from the back of the arena. Just smeared compared to the clarity of the 2019 mix on my system. I'll listen to the VHS again sometime, but not very soon.

The album effects played in concert are clearer on the original CD's than on the hi-res tracks it seems to me. Until I heard the 5.1. Then I got everything very clearly. A+ all around except for all the basic marketing choices and operations.

JulesRules likes this.
  21. xXFloydianXx

xXFloydianXx One Slip, and down the hole we fall

I don't have a scanner, can someone link me to a scan of the back of the deluxe blu ray box?

I've been trimming/minimizing my collection of movies and such, and moving lose/box set discs into regular dvd cases.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

22. jeffreybh

jeffreybh Gunter Gleiben Glauchen Globen

here you go, not a scan but digital image from Amazon

[​IMG]

23. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I just put the CD/Blu-ray box set on my Amazon wishlist and eventually gonna buy it later this month.

JulesRules and jeffreybh like this.
  24. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

The deluxe Blu Ray is still missing WTTM and ABITW!! Why?
    So I got the vinyl box today at Barnes and Noble and can attest to the flimsiness of the outer box that some have mentioned. Didn't have a chance to play yet but will rectify that tomorrow.
    I've only ever seen the VHS version and have the original fatboy double CD but haven't listened in a while.
    Question. Does the original VHS and double CD contain the same audio mix/master?

25. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

Watched the Sky Arts broadcast last night (recorded a week or so ago). It's ok but the ad breaks every other song really spoils the flow. Ive decided I dont need the bluray or dvd. The look is so dated.