Pink Floyd Delicate Sound Of Thunder 2020 Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sis+erRay, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Ryan Bedlack

Ryan Bedlack Forum Resident

So just curious (Sorry if this has been answered before), but did they just not film "Welcome to the Machine" and "Another Brick..."? Seems weird that even with the 5 bonus tracks, those two songs are now the only ones left off the official video release

2. xXFloydianXx

xXFloydianXx One Slip, and down the hole we fall

Went ahead and bought Delicate digital copy via Vudu.

The extra tracks are included in that as well. Sold my 4 disc set. Going all (or at least mostly) digital feels nice, I tell ya.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  3. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Asking here because a search here and on the net didn't turn up anything... I know DSOT was recorded over five nights in August, and it is known which track from the original album was recorded on which night.
    But is it known on which nights the 9 newly-inserted tracks were recorded?

4. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

superstar19 likes this.
  5. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Ah, my bad, it was there after all. Anyway, thanks!

6. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

I just gotta say, the design on the cd+bluray+dvd box set is just stunning. I love Storm Thorgerson's Pink Floyd work, but I'm sure even he would have been envious of this new Delicate Sound of Thunder release.

Azza200 and JulesRules like this.
  7. jeffreybh

jeffreybh Gunter Gleiben Glauchen Globen

Why has the US version been out of print since before Christmas with it looking unlikely to be reprinted while the UK version is still readily available including as an import via Amazon?

8. Music labels just aren't willing to meet the demand for physical media anymore. They want you buying the digital release. Notice how a rash of important box sets have sold out within weeks of release over the past 3-4 years. They would rather miss some sales than make too many copies.

coffeetime and jeffreybh like this.
  9. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

I am OK with that but make the whole frigging boxset available for download and stop the teasing...:D

Azza200 likes this.
  10. xXFloydianXx

xXFloydianXx One Slip, and down the hole we fall

The whole thing pretty much is available for download. The audio album (via streaming and CD) and the film (via Vudu, Amazon, iTunes, etc).

Billy Infinity and Norco74 like this.
  11. Norco74

I will have a look but as often these are disappointing as some of the content will eventually disappear from whatever platform.

12. street legal

street legal Senior Member

For anyone who bought the 2CD only set of this, does it come with those ridiculous, horrible foam disc holders like all of Gilmour’s CD releases since “On An Island”? That *alone* may sway me to go for the deluxe box, since I know I will eventually probably pick up the DVD or BluRay.

Which raises another question: for those who have the deluxe box, has anyone compared the DVD to the BluRay? Is the BluRay significantly better than the DVD for audio, video, or both?

13. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Simple cardboard packaging. No foam disc holders, but no plastic trays either i.e. no digipak. CD's just slide out. Cheap. Booklet is nice.

Norco74 likes this.
  14. jonnyslb

jonnyslb Forum Resident

I have the later years box set, and I can tell you that the Blu-Ray is light years ahead compared with the DVD, and the Pulse new version is the same, the DVD is terrible, the 2006 DVD is much better that the one in the later years box set.

St. Troy, Azza200 and JulesRules like this.
  15. Norco74

Environment friendly but nevertheless outrageaous for the price paid.

I guess I will go the download way if available.

16. street legal

street legal Senior Member

Excellent, thank you.

17. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

yep the 2006 DVD edit of Pulse is the best edit of the concert.

Steve356 and Anthrax like this.
  18. DBMartin

DBMartin Forum Resident

Just got the 2020 DSOT deluxe package and I love the film! Pulse (2006) is a better performance overall, but this new DSOT film is more enjoyable to watch, with all the audience and band close-ups. I'll definitely watch this more that just once or twice. I really do wish that there will be a new Pulse deluxe set like this too in the near future. I wanna see a fresh and new edit on BluRay, hopefully with a few extra songs too. Does anyone here know if that'll be likely to happen any time soon? (And I don't wanna spend 400-500 euros on The Later Years box set just for a Pulse BluRay...)

JulesRules likes this.
  19. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

To my understanding, DSOT was shot on film which was why a Blu Ray could come out well. Pulse was shot on video and we have already seen about as good as we are going to get. The fact that DSOT was eventually released as a standalone is indicative of how management felt was the more salable product. Personally I have always liked DSOT more than Pulse. Even though I did see the Pulse tour but not the DSOT tour. Another show hat I also really like is Gilmour's Remember that Night.

20. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Maybe it was also indicative of the fact that there was no official digital version aside from the Laserdisc? Pulse has been available on DVD since 2006.

Azza200 likes this.
  21. originalsnuffy

I still have the DSOT laserdisc. I gather its worth keeping as the version of Money is uncut.

22. indigovic

indigovic (Taylor’s Version)

The Laserdisc has digital audio, but the video is analog.

JulesRules likes this.
  23. brfloydfan

brfloydfan Forum Resident

There is the VCD edition.

JulesRules and Billy Infinity like this.
  24. originalsnuffy

I think the gist of this is that there was no DVD or BluRay of DSOT until now.

Azza200 and JulesRules like this.
  25. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

The 2006 Pulse DVD is a better edit of the concert only thing i would like is an upgrade on Blu-Ray is the 2006 edit. Which we sadly wont get with the new re-edit which is not as good overall. It has some cool new angles we have not seen before thats about it.

Big Pasi, DBMartin and Szeppelin75 like this.