Pink Floyd Delicate Sound Of Thunder 2020 Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sis+erRay, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Haggischomper

Haggischomper Scottish AF

I've ordered the triple vinyl and the deluxe box. My birthday is the week after so I've let her know that is what she is getting me :D

NunoBento and Billy Infinity like this.
  2. DaveTheRave

DaveTheRave Forum Resident

Call me crazy, but I love the original DSOT version of Comfortably Numb (CD version, not the chopped-up video version). The new remix/edit of Comfortably Number on Later Years is nice to hear, but to me doesn't sound as great as the solo meanders for a bit (and even that is cut down from what was played that night). The original live CN captures the best of solo jam.

I also feel a bit guilty saying that I don't like Rick's vocals higher in the mix on the new CN.

3. Eh. There's never a good look for a mullet. Not in the 80s and not outside the 80s. ;)

moodyxadi and bhazen like this.
  4. DaveTheRave

DaveTheRave Forum Resident

They should add a clip-on mullet as a bonus item to the Deluxe edition!

Bakeryrec, M321115, moodyxadi and 4 others like this.
  5. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Like socks and sandals, the funniest part of the mullet is watching how much people actually invest in hating on it. I saw 2 shows on the tour and I’ve watched dsot 2 dozen times since it’s release and I don’t recall even thinking twice about hair

6. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

I only have the VHS of DSOT. I watched about half of it just now and it wreaks of bad 80's video production. For a huge part of the show most of the screen is just watching the projected film they ran during the show. Now I know it was the 80's but when I compare it to say Eagles Farewell 1 DVD it's night and day. No projection screens and just the band on stage with the camera's all being in the right spot. Even Waters 'In The Flesh' DVD is so much better. I know the DSOT will look great compared to my old VHS tape but I just don't like the way the show was filmed and the heavy use of the projection screen and mini films is really annoying.

7. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

The new edit of DSOT is nothing like the VHS

8. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

For the Later Years box set the concert film was remixed and restored, omitting most of those funny effects. For comparison, watch this:

9. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

Yeah i love the original DSOT version of CN the edited solo is still amazing and flows better. TLY 2019 remix is good and i agree Ricks vocals are too high sounds robotic the mix

jonnyslb and DaveTheRave like this.
  10. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

11. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Mine has an oblong box holding the circuit board with the light and battery that was glued in. I used long screwdriver inserted down one side to pull the box out. As the box was glued in it tore slightly. I then swapped the battery folded the box up put piece of tape around it to hold it together and then pushed the box back into place, easy.

Edit
    I just watched the tutorial two pages back, mine is completely different (UK copy).

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    squittolo likes this.
  12. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

There are still sequences that go back to the videos of the canoe and airport / hospital corridors. I remember those from the Pulse show I attended in the day. Missed the DSOT tour unfortunately.

The show that I most regret seeing would be "Remember that Night". That and DSOT are my favorite Floyd / Floyd related shows. I still put on Pompeii (original) from time to time; but I play those two fairly often. They are far more than "a pretty fair forgery" (per Roger).

Now that I think of it I need to pick up Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets on Blu Ray. That was a super fun show.

JulesRules likes this.
  13. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

It’s actually a Thames Skiff, classic British pulling boat. The video for Signs of Life features Langley Iddins, caretaker of the Astoria, rowing on the River Cam through Grantchester Meadows near Cambridge. Couple Of Floydian landmarks

squittolo and M321115 like this.
  14. Larry Schmidt

Larry Schmidt Forum Resident

I think it really only focuses on the screen films for Signs of Life and On the Run.

Scottb likes this.
  15. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Released yesterday - LTF remix

16. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

Most regret not seeing, surely?

St. Troy and originalsnuffy like this.
  17. reddyempower

reddyempower Forum Resident

I might buy from someone who has TLY box and doesn’t need the DVDs. It seems their only purpose is backup if the Blu-ray fails

18. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

Correction: I said some posts earlier that this new version cuted Pratt's slap bass on Money, but now, after listening to the old/original version I see there is no slap. Im certain everybody noticed my error but merely by courtesy havent shoved it down my face. Thank you boys. Im sure there's some slaping in other songs I dont feel like searching now, but not on Money. The cuted part sounds like a fretless though Ptatt is not playing a fretless bass, maybe is using some pedal to get that sound. Dont know.

About the two versions I've been making some quick comparation and now I realize I do like that reverbed sound of the original DSoT. Probably a question of habit. But Its good to have both now, off course. :righton:
    And boy, Comfortably Numb is diferent, those voices are completely changed.

19. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Listening to Learning to Fly on TIDAL, no worries about the mastering it's fine.

20. '05Train

'05Train Crashin' & Flyin' & Livin' & Dyin'

I remember there being a bit of slapping during "ABitWPt.2".

St. Troy, jonnyslb and Luisboa like this.
  21. healter skealter

healter skealter Human animal

Yaaawwwwwnnn. The only interesting thing about this is the artwork.

Just how jaded would one have to be to contemplate buying this, let alone be excited at the prospect?

22. Had a bad day? No need to thread crap, if you're not interested.

23. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

:wave: :goodie:

24. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Never seen it in its entirety or owned it, I love Pink Floyd, and I enjoy the 80's sound of Momentary Lapse of Reason. Yes, even Terminal Frost. Yes, even the sax player. Fight me. :)

Now, please. Go back and watch Bambi again and pay attention this time.

andrewskyDE, obi, coffeetime and 4 others like this.
  25. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

My least-favourite Floyd era, to be sure -- but at least they put some care into filming it (unlike Pulse, on standard-def, washed-out-looking videotape ...)

I might get the DVD, despite Scott Page and his mullet. :D

squittolo likes this.