Pink Floyd Discovery Box is here... (part2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Oct 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. botley

botley Forum Resident

Why? If someone prefers the Sax remasters, that's their personal preference, but that Oh, By the Way box is not a great way to get them. If you want to hear a more accurate and consistent representation of the band's work, get Discovery. If you want mini-LPs, buy the Japanese standalone ones.

2. Lord_Gastwick

Lord_Gastwick Forum Resident

I don't know where you got your set, but mine don't look like that. I'll post photos later.

3. Lord_Gastwick

As far as I know, Guthrie did master the 2003 DSotM redbook layer. And, as far as I know, he also mastered the OBtW version of The Final Cut (the one with "Tigers" on it). If that's not the case, I respectfully stand corrected.

4. cgoodwin22

cgoodwin22 Senior Member

Agree. I have the counterfeit OBTW Floyd set and that looks TOTALLY like mine.

5. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I have no problem with the new packaging. Additionally, Guthrie remastered the redbook DSOTM for this new release redeeming himself... didn't he? Final Cut as well. So your argument isn't all too convincing IMO.

6. LarryT

LarryT Forum Resident

Couldn't you just check the IFPI SID codes on the CDs?

Use Kenny's IFPI SID Code database here, to look them up.

That should tell you if they are fakes.

:cheers:

7. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

I am 99.9% convinced I do not have a counterfeit. There are no known signs that the sleeves are counterfeit. Most of them align perfectly and are also correct in every way, including the labels.

I don't want to hijack this thread and this is getting off-topic, but here is an example of a sleeve in my OBTW set that definitely does not look fake. It is near equal to the Japanese ones in quality except for the slit tightness:
    [​IMG]
    I stated here where I bought it:
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=7030208&postcount=46
    They are a large outfit that has been around for years, I am sure they would not knowingly sell a fake.

I think the explanation to all this controversy is simple - lousy quality control. Some of us just lucked out and do not have bum sleeves in the OBTW box. That's why some swear by the box and some feel it could be better.

8. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Forum Resident

Heh heh ... "slit tightness" ... heh heh.

9. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Also the discs in my OBTW box are defect free..line up perfectly and the spines are even

10. oregonalex

Thanks. The code on Wall CD1 is IFPI AAHZ0
    In Kenny's database it corresponds to Mediamotion Netherlands (formerly EMI Uden)

It does not appear to be fake.

:tsk:
    With CD sleeves, it is a BAD thing!

11. When I bought my copy of the OBTW box set I put to one side those titles with the genuine Sax masterings. The two titles with the Guthrie masterings (except for 'Dark Side..') I also put to one side. Those in the box that did not have the Sax mastering i.e. 'Saucerful..', 'Meddle', 'Dark Side...', 'Wish..', 'Animals' I then replaced the discs with Sax masterings. Voila! One full set of Floyd with decent masterings in replica album sleeves. Now that I have most of the 2011 Guthrie masterings of which I personally consider sound better than the Sax masterings I intend on doing exactly the same thing. One full set of Floyd with even better masterings in replica album sleeves. And who gives a toss if the 2011 Guthrie discs and OBTW replica sleeves don't belong together? <rhet> Not I. Best of both worlds I believe. :D

12. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

If you wanna have real fun, sell the leftovers here in the Classifieds. :laugh:

13. oregonalex

Hey, I thought of doing that too! I decided not to, though, because

A. I like the (mostly)original disk labels. Where else can you see written "The Pink Floyd" on official material?

B. The new photographs on the Discovery sleeves are sort of nice. It's like a bonus addendum to the mini-sleeves.

C. The Discovery booklets are basic, but the lyrics are good for a quick reference and the credits are easier to read.

14. Lord_Gastwick

That probably explains it. I just found it frustrating that on the official OBtW box thread, there were quite a few remarks pertaining to the Japanese replicas' superiority, but very little in the way of explanation. Thanks for the photos, and for the details pertaining to ease of removal, etc.

15. Lord_Gastwick

Incidentally, the OBtW box fails big time on label authenticity. (Black Harvests for AHM and OBC?) And the replica sleeve for Piper has "mono" written on it. (Fine, but don't put the stereo mix inside!)

16. oregonalex

No problem. I hate it too when people bitch about something without having anything to substantiate it with.

17. Blu Falcon

Blu Falcon New Member

Yeah, you've got a point there. My OBC LP has the yellow Harvest label with green text, and I know the original AHM LP was the same. Still, it beats the rather bland and uninspiring print on the 2011 remasters discs.

18. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

The Japanese mini LP uses the correct stereo sleeve.

19. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Amen to that.

20. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

I am surprised to experience such an enjoyable discovery from this box-set. i thought I was more than familiar with Pink Floyd; but no ;when it comes to the Pre UMMAGUMMA, ATOME HEART MOTHER, MEDDLE DSOTM stuff there are tons of surprises, songs I never noticed as something special now suddenly become as exciting as say Time or other highlights from the mighty Floyd. The sheer increase in soundstage, slam, top range and overall clarity vs the regular 80ies CD's and most used worn out LP's there are lots of nice moments to discover. My favorites so far include MORE and Obscured By Clouds, Interstellar Overdrive never sounded that psychedlic and fab to me as well.
    The winners in this regard is the rhythm section (you hear for the first time what their contributions were exactly like). Now you hear the impact of the bass on the drumming, additional organ stabs added already most of the sheer grandezza of Floyds massive tonal assaults; it is when Gilmoure's guitar cuts in that the sound stage becomes kind of massive and in cases overweight.
    Playing now the mighty bass lines driving LET THERE BE MORE LIGHT home ( from the album A Saucerful Of Secrets ), Everything I said is true when you listen to this tune -First it is only the bass that plays the motif, the drums join in, organ stabs accent it, then comes guitars and vocals - the only difference on this album is that the guitar was played by Syd Barrett and he handled the vocals, too ..lol
    The formula stays the same on later albums none the less - ah the melancholic beauty of the following tune REMEMBER A DAY ( listen carefuly to Nick and Rickt's offerings !) Absolutely gorgeous .... What a fine sound !

21. kinkling

kinkling Forum Resident

Hallejulah! Someone "discovering" the Floyd from the Discovery set! That strikes me as far more the purpose of the box than debating minutiae. Encouraging to hear.

(Though to immediately contradict myself, I am still curious about the differences between the 1994, 2007, and 2011 versions of Piper! Where are the spectral graphs overlaid upon each other?!) :sigh:

22. I believe "Let There Be More Light" does not feature Syd's voice or guitar. My undestanding is that Syd is featured only on "Remember A Day", "Jugband Blues" and "Set The Controls For The Heart of The Sun" (all the '67 tunes on Saucerful of Secrets).

23. GowG

GowG Forum Resident

Nick didn't play on Remember a Day. It's Norman Smith.

24. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

Please don't scold me enlight me! what about the 2007 piper remaster vs the 2011 are they the same?

25. GowG

GowG Forum Resident

No

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.