Pink Floyd Discovery Box is here...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TONEPUB, Sep 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Those look fine to me.. these are off the 2011 disc, right?

2. Masza

Masza Forum Resident

Yes they are from 2011 remasters. But look at those louder parts on those songs, do you see how 'cut' they are?

3. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Sorry, I don't see it. :confused:

4. JBryan

JBryan Forum Resident

I was at Target yesterday (totally unaware of the sale). They had CDs ($10 single/$15 double) of Animals, DSOTM, The Wall, Division Bell and WYWH and T-shirts of DSOTM and The Wall. Buy any 2 items and get a $5 gift card.

I bought The Wall and WYWH and had a chance to listen to the latter last night. Can't say I was terribly impressed - a tad muddy and thin compared to vinyl with a narrower soundstage than I am used to. Not horrible and maybe it just wasn't a good night for PF (rare!) but I wasn't drawn into the music and started looking for something else to listen to after a couple of tracks...again, quite rare for PF. I put on the CBS half-speed master on vinyl and heard better dynamics, deeper, tighter bass and was engulfed again by the soundstage. It could just be my setup but the vinyl had more energy and held my attention to the end.

I'll give The Wall a listen tonight as I have more than a few CDs and LP issues to compare to - including a half-speed master, Japan and MOFI.

Anyone else listening to these remasters yet?

5. Masza

Masza Forum Resident

6. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

That could be compression from the mix. You'd really have to compare it to an older mastering to see if dynamics are truly compressed.

7. Raf

Raf Senior Member

The Final Cut

Sounds loud to me too. They probably prepared a new album master in 2004 when they added "When the Tigers Broke Free", complete with compression, and this new edition is a remaster of that.

8. Blu Falcon

Blu Falcon New Member

I was tempted to grab this box yesterday, looking at it sitting there on the shelf. It's just cool seeing Pink Floyd titles so prominately displayed again. I'm quite happy with the OBTW set and I actually prefer the look and presentation of the mini LPs over the Discovery set, so I exercised constraint and my wallet is safe for the time being.

9. Masza

Masza Forum Resident

I don't have any un-remastered pressings. The one I have is a remaster from 1997 or so (the one that was in the OBTW box) and it looks almost the same, besides it's louder

10. Rfi

Rfi New Member

Ah yes. 100 for tracks 1-4 and 99.9 for track 5.

11. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

FYI, I heard that the Discovery box is on sale at Costco for $150.

12. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Rontoon,

Whatchya think of Animals Brother ?

13. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Has anyone else listened to the Wish You Were Here remaster? I'm curious what others are hearing.

14. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Sorry my friend... still sealed. Still savoring the Immersion box. And besides, my old Denon (which I still love to death) receiver has been disconnected while I wait for my new kick *** Yamaha to arrive tonight (I need the HDMI inputs). The wife is going out of town for a week starting this weekend and I intend to shake my house off it's foundation. I promise a review as soon as I play Animals... my 1st priority, and will be comparing it to the Sax remaster included in my Shine On box.

15. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Thanks !

Mine:

32DP 360
    Shine On CD
    1st UK Vinyl
    Swedish Vinyl

16. Masza

Masza Forum Resident

I watched this video and wondered why it was so easy for the maker of it to take the booklet and the cd out of their 'pockets' and put them back while I had to be very patient with them because they were so tight. Could it be that USA made Discovery editions are not so tight as the ones made in Europe? What kind of experiences do you have, are those Discovery gatefolds loose or tight?

17. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Mike. Stick with the Sax Animals or your 32dp. The new one isnt as good.

18. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

How?

19. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

BIG thanks for the review! :cheers:

20. saundr00

saundr00 Bobby

Does anyone think it's time to split the albums out into separate threads? There's a lot of going back and forth.

21. Norm Apter

Norm Apter Well-Known Member In Memoriam

First, yes Target is still running the deal as of today (9/28). I wish I had read your e-mail before I went to Target as indeed you are correct, no More or Saucerful there, or any surrounding Targets (I had them check inventory of nearby stores).

So I purchased the following two from Target:

The Wall $15 (didn't own it any format)
    Animals $10 for the $5 gift card (nothing to spend it on at the moment)

then I went to Best Buy to pick pick up

Saucerful of Secrets
    More

but I also couldn't resist Atom Heart Mother and Obscured by Clouds so I picked those up as well. Best Buy's sale of $10 per CD is still on as of today as well.

I think I'll wait to open AHM and ObC as well as Animals until I hear some more feedback so that I can return them in needbe. But I'm confident that More and Saucerful of Secrets will sound better as I don't think the Sax remasters for those two titles are up to the other ones he remastered in 1992.

22. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Forum Curmudgeon

Animals compared (and initial observations on Meddle)

Okay, so I have given Animals an extensive listen on both the 2011 disc and the Shine On disc. Note that the Shine On Animals is slightly different than the Sax remaster available separately (the separate disc is hotter), and both differ greatly from the EMI master in the Oh By the Way box.

Let me start by saying that the low end has been given a significant boost on the 2011 disc. There's a lot more bass happening here! Also, the vocals have a wonderful clarity. On the Shine On disc, the bass is very reserved, and although the vocals are clear, the sibilants ("s" and "ch" sounds) are harsher; they have been tamed nicely on the 2011 remaster. The keyboards sound the same on both.

Something you Christopher Walken fans will appreciate: the 2011 disc has... more cowbell. No seriously, it does. You can really hear the hollowness of the cowbell (or is it a wood block?) played during "Pigs (Three Different Ones)".

The Shine On disc has one thing going for it. Gilmour's guitar sounds much crunchier here than on the new CD, where it's smoothed out a bit. Of course, it's strictly a matter of taste as to which is better, but I kind of like the crunchy sound for this album. Still, the pros of the 2011 outweigh the cons.

I also noticed that the 2011 disc can be cranked much louder before it begins to sound unpleasant on the ears. If you want to rock loud, this is the one to get. In fact, I dare say that this 2011 disc will be my go-to copy from here on out.

Bottom line: Some will prefer the obviously brighter sound of the Sax remaster, and may even find that the bass boost on the 2011 disc is too pronounced, but I think this album needed some more low end, and the tamed highs make this album a much better listen when cranked.

Now, I've only had a chance to compare "One of These Days" on Meddle. I am also comparing this to the Shine On version, which (unlike Animals) is bit-for-bit identical to the Sax remaster available separately, but still different than the EMI master in the Oh By the Way box.

So far I don't have much love for the 2011 disc. This song is all about that awesome driving bass line, but while both discs have plenty of low end, the bass on the Sax remaster is much tighter. It's less defined and more muddy on the 2011 disc. I'll give "Echoes" a comparison at lunch and report back, but so far I recommend not upgrading Meddle if you have the Sax (or the delightful MFSL).

23. stricee

stricee Forum Resident

so far have listened to animals and momentary lapse...animals a tad clearer than the sax remaster...momentary lapse of reason is a step backwards dont know what happened there but definitely not an improvement thin and shrill in parts...my opinion

24. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Any thoughts on "Obscured..."?

25. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.