Pink Floyd Discovery Box is here...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TONEPUB, Sep 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Picture Disc

Yes, my single disc European jewel-case "Saucerful" claiming to be a Sax remaster, isn't, it's an 80s mastering with terrible NR.

My single disc European jewel-case "Meddle" claiming to be a Sax remaster also isn't, and is identical to my 80s UK CD, which although doesn't seem to have NR, it's still a rip-off.

My European Shine On has definite remasters of both albums, presumably the US Sax ones, as they sound fine, certainly no NR that I can detect.

2. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

Anyone know if the 2001 Japanese "Sax" mastered mini-lps are genuine or fake Saxes??

3. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

http://www.pinkfloydarchives.com/DJaCDPF.htm

Check each title under its respective 2001 heading. Some are Sax, some aren't it seems.

4. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Forum Curmudgeon

According to Vernon's site:

The 2001 mini LPs of Piper, More, Umma, AHM, OBC, DSotM, WYWH, Animals, and The Wall are all identical to the individual US releases of the Sax remasters from the 90's.

The 2001 mini LPs of Saucerful and Meddle appear to be level-shifted Sax remasters (although Vernon identifies them as EMI masters, the running times and peak levels would suggest otherwise). I can't say for certain.

The 2004 mini LP of The Final Cut is the Guthrie remaster.

The 2005 mini LP of AMLoR is identical to the louder Sax remaster on the 1997 and 2005 USA discs. The "quiet" Sax remaster of this title was never released individually in Japan.

The 2005 mini LP of Division Bell is identical to the 1A mastering of the US Columbia disc.

5. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Picture Disc

Interesting that it's Saucerful and Meddle singled out again for non-across the board mastering of the albums up to The Wall.

6. mark renard

mark renard Senior Member

Is Target stocking the 2-disk version of DSOTM with the live disk?

7. Leigh

Leigh https://orf.media

I bought all of my PF CDs in the early 90s at regular old record stores in Wisconsin... all of them are Capitol releases.

With AHM, I am comparing to Captiol CDP 7 46381 2 (from memory).

Again, from memory (which is pretty good when it comes to music but not where I put my keys) the Capitol AHM sounded like it was mastered from a 2nd or more generation tape. The 2011 remaster sounds much clearer and well presented, for lack of a better term. Also, there were bits of distortion here and there with the Side 1 suite which have been tempered.

I have now listened to AHM, Obscured, and bits of DSOTM and Saucerful. I am detecting a pattern here, or should I say I am detecting a mastering approach which is consistent across the board for all these CDs. I could be wrong, but it sounds like they were all mastered by the same team/person (like the Beatles). These discs all sound really, really good on my system which tends to be a bit forward in the midrange (I blame the ProAc Super Tablettes and tube amplification). These releases all sound very much like they went back to the lowest generation tapes available and they managed to somehow bring out a lot of detail while at the same time keeping the sound laid back in the treble-regions but at the same time avoiding a ham-fisted EQ signature - rather it sounds very natural and "right".

A clear example is Obscured by Clouds. I have always hated the sound of the treble on that album (Capitol CDP 7 46385 2). It is an ear-bleeder, like a Type IV tape being played back with the Type I setting on your old cassette deck. I believe some aspect of that harsh treble is on the mater tapes, but the remastering has taken the ear-bleeding nature of that sound out without sacrificing detail in the sound.

Oh, also, they restored that missing bit of noodling in Set The Controls on Obscured. The first time I played my Capitol CDP 7 46383 2 I nearly jumped out of my chair during that awful splice where they inexplicably removed like 30 seconds of the noodly jammy bits after Waters' voice trails away ("... heart of the sun... heart of the sun..."). The previous version of this for me was a copy of a cassette from A Nice Pair from my friend in the dorm room next door and it did not have this blemish.

Keep in mind I am coming at these recordings with a pretty fresh set of ears, as I have not really listened to PF in the last 20 years very much after suffering from massive burnout. But for me, this is definitely a case where a modern remastering kicks the pants off of an early release. Maybe those early Capitol CDs were just all done poorly from nth generation tapes.

I can't wait to listen to Ummagumma (well parts of it anyway) to see if they've managed to squeeze some goodness out of what has always been a pretty shaky sounding album.

8. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

No - they are only carrying the single disc version along with WYWH, Wall, Animals and Division Bell.

Agreed about the deal though. I picked up DB and Animals, then used my $5 towards the Wall so I got all three for about $20.

9. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Probably already mentioned:

Best Buy has a exclusive 6 track remastered sampler.

10. Blu Falcon

Blu Falcon New Member

Thanks for sharing your observations. Sounds like the OBC 2011 remaster is the version to get. I've never been disappointed with the SQ of the version included in the OBTW set or my vinyl, but I'm open to comparing the current remaster to what I already have.

11. saundr00

saundr00 Bobby

Sounds like a small, muted cowbell to me.

12. rpd

rpd Senior Member

With this Target deal, why would someone buy the Discovery box vs just grabbing the discs at Target?

13. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Because Target is only selling five titles, not the whole catalog. They've been listed in this thread a few times already, but here they are again:

DSOTM (single disc version)
    The Wall
    Animals
    WYWH
    Division Bell

They DO also have T-shirts (three designs) that qualify for the gift card deal. So you could buy one CD and one T-shirt and still get the $5 gift card.

14. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Whoops

Thanks!

15. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Isnt there a book in the box too?

16. hutlock

Yep.

17. chargrove

chargrove Forum Resident

Walmart has all of them and will price match. I picked up Meddle this morning on the way to work. Thinking about going back tomorrow and seeing if they'll do the $10 price for Ummagumma and The Wall LOL. :winkgrin:

18. hutlock

Wal-Mart will price match Target on titles that Target doesn't carry?!? That doesn't sound right...

19. chargrove

chargrove Forum Resident

Read the Target ad again. It's not specific and just says something like "Pink Floyd remastered CDs." I found a Walmart employee who found that to be quite sufficient.

20. hutlock

I should rephrase it then:

I don't think I would feel right about doing that.

21. LarryT

LarryT Forum Resident

If you're going to WalMart, you won't get a $5 Gift Card when you buy 2.

If you don't care about the Gift Card, just go to BestBuy ... they have them all for $9.99 (not the double discs, of course) ... no price match headaches.

I think BestBuy even has free shipping on $25 or more.

:wave:

22. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Does walmary have immersion?

23. LarryT

LarryT Forum Resident

Also, for those of you that like Overstock.com, they will match any web price, as well.

BTW - Overstock has the DSOTM SACD for only $11.28.

:edthumbs:

24. LarryT

LarryT Forum Resident

25. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Now enjoying Meddle...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.