Pink Floyd Discovery Box is here...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TONEPUB, Sep 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

They didn't change it for the PC world we live in now did they ?

One Of These Days I'm Gonna Give You A Stern Talking To...:laugh: So none of the little She-Men get their feelings hurt...

2. rpd

rpd Senior Member

I bit on these remasters today. Here is what I did...think it's a good strategy..

Did not buy the Discovery box, becasue I grabbed the DSOTM Immersion box...and will probably get the Wall and WYWH boxes as well. So I also will not buy these 3 individually...

Bought Animans and Division Bell at Target...got the $5 gift card. Bought the rest at Best Buy for $9.99. DSOTM Box was $108 at Best Buy.

Nice deal all the way around I think...

3. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

One of these days I'm gonna make you go and sit in the corner on your own for an hour and think about what you did. :winkgrin:

4. Myke

You've made me rethink my opinion of people in Belle Meade...all I ever met up until you were snobs with more money than brains. Or class. :laugh:

5. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I'm still not sure if I should pick up some of the remasters. I just listened to the 1988 Japanese CD reissue of The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (CP32-5269) and it sounds horrible to my ears, harsh and bright. Its follow-up A Saucerful of Secrets (CP32-5272) sounded a little better, but not great either. How do the remasters compare to these early Japanese discs?

6. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Also, forgive me if this is common knowlege, but this new version of Piper is the stereo mix or the mono mix?

7. kinkling

kinkling Forum Resident

Whether you are referring to the 1990's Sax remasters or the 2011 versions, all are an improvement. If your CP32-5272 Saucerful has the first mastering, it likely has the pop in "Set the Controls..." and is indeed harsh and bright. The next Japanese pressings were a different mastering and sound fine. If the cd matrix has no "U" in it, then you have the original.

As far as Piper, I'm a mono fan, so I think the 90's Sax stereo remaster and the new one are similar enough not to upgrade, but perhaps someone more conversant could help you out.

8. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

Compared to the OBW box, this discovery box worth the upgrade?

9. Runt

Runt Senior Member

Wasn't really planning to buy the Discovery box...at least not yet...but printed out the Walmart web page listing it for $179 and took it to a local Best Buy for the heckuvit to see if they'd price match. They did. No questions asked, no argument. Figured I should grab it. Also got one of the last two DSOTM Immersion boxes for $109. Kick in Reward Zone points, and not such a bad deal.

10. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Thanks.

The matrix of my Piper is CP32-5269 1A2 TO, and the matrix of my Saucerful is CP32-5272 U 1A1 TO, so that one seems to be a later mastering. As I said it sounds better than Piper, which is very unpleasant, really harsh and bright.

Has anyone compared the CP32 Piper and the 2011 remaster? Opinions?

11. Blu Falcon

Blu Falcon New Member

I caved and picked up the OBC and Animals remasters during my lunch break. Very interested in A/B'ing these with my current CDs and LPs.

12. Norm Apter

Norm Apter Well-Known Member In Memoriam

How about the Meddle remaster?

After picking up about 5 individual remasters, and ordering two Immersions, that is the only individual title that I'm still debating picking up (I would definitely hold out for a Meddle Experience or Immersion though I don't see that happening). I can't figure out if I have a Sax remaster. Technically, mine is a Japanese edition but it has ablurb "digital remasters 1992) and 1994 copyright year on it (just coincidence?). I ordered it from Japan -- it came with an obi and a catalog number TOCP 5836. But it also has EMI copyright and says Stereo Made in Japan.

It sounds OK, but not great. I do like it better than the original Columbia CD (US) that I had on hand for years, but neither really blow me away (I much prefer the versions of some of these songs on the Pompeii DVD.

In short, has anybody listened to the 2011 Meddle and have any opinion on how it sounds?

13. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Norm,

I like the Meddle but have not yet compared it to my MFSL.

14. Myke

Do you have the Black Triangle ?

15. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Anyone?

16. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

No I don't. Please send me one. ;)

17. Myke

Stupid me, I just remembered, I only have to look up the peak levels on Vernon's site, to compare the three.

Black Triangle - low levels
    MFSL Ultadisc 1 - higher levels
    2011 - Vernon hasn't gotten to it as of yet

18. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Any other comments on AMLOR? Only comment I have seen so far was a thumbs down. Also, I am not sure if that was a general comment or in comparison to the original CD.

19. botley

botley Forum Resident

Beats the 1997 remaster hands down; I like it a lot.

20. Myke

AMLOR-this is interesting...3 years ago tomorrow (October 1st, 2008), I bought a CD copy from an Amazon Marketplace seller in Arkansas, I'm in Tennessee. What was it when it arrived ?

An Italian issue. :laugh: 2 years before joining the forum, maybe my first imported CD... still my only CD copy, have US vinyl too.

21. Blu Falcon

Blu Falcon New Member

Well I suppose I should consider the Meddle remaster as well.

22. Mike McMann

Mike McMann Forum Resident

Compared to the Oh By The Way version it is a big improvement.
    My hopes may have been set a little to high though.

I'd hoped for more bombastic guitars on "Learning to Fly"
    "Dogs of War" and "One Slip" are still quite muddy.
    From "On the Turning Away" to "Sorrow" the remaster is back on track and makes for a good listen.

23. Blu Falcon

Blu Falcon New Member

From what I've been able to piece together in this thread, most titles are either on par with or only negligibly better than previous versions. I've been pleased with the OBTW box set, so I would only consider picking up remasters of select PF titles (Meddle, OBC, Animals), which probably won't be made available as Immersion sets. Still, I'd be curious to hear an extensive A/B comparison between both box sets myself.

24. Masza

Masza Forum Resident

Did the OBTW box include 1997(?) remaster of this album? Well, I had a some kind of remaster of this which shouldn't have been a remaster. I still have it in my hard drive. When I raise the volume of the tracks of the Discovery edition up to 0dB, they sound almost the same as my previous version of AMLOR

This may be a silly question but could someone post a waveform of one track of USA made AMLOR Discovery edition?

25. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

This may explain the few awfull cd's i had in the past , they sounded like a wet blanket was over the speakers , horrid !!

A good friend had bought tow around the same time & his were awfull as well ..... always shook my head as i have Plenty of stuff Doug has mastered & always enjoyed his work .

thanks for clearing up what was possibly wrong :righton:

Divison bell - i spun the whole 2011 Remaster last night , i really enjoy it .... as mentioned it is a VERY digital sounding album , but more due to the original recording ..... so it's a bit "stiff" due to that .
    Matering does use some compression , but it's certainly something that enhances the recording , it's pretty smooth & not heavy at all .... sounds like a little bass boost in parts , but nothing drastic to my ears , i like the choices made.
    Plenty of headroom , it's sounds good at louder volumes , the guitar tones are really nice & natural sounding , you can hear how they mic's up the amps , the finger tone etc. very nice !
    what i liked about the cd is the dynamics that are there do have the room they need & the stereo Image is REALLY nice , like ceratin vocal tracks sound like they are coming from a center channel but it's only in stereo & some guitar tracks do the same in the center of the field & hard right or left where the speakers are not , it's a really nice field of sound , something you miss on modern masterings of today .
    I'm very happy with this cd :righton: A++++

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.