Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Pink Floyd Discovery Box is here...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TONEPUB, Sep 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Phil, I ordered it from Badlands UK. The current issue they have in store has Marc Bolan on cover and the Pink Floyd article

http://www.uncut.co.uk/magazine/

2. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Brilliant, cheers for that :wave:

3. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

You're welcome. Enjoy the mag! My copy should arrive within 10 days..:sigh:

4. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Forum Resident

Personally, I prefer the WYWH from the Shine On box to the Mastersound CD, which I find a bit too harsh for my tastes. I know I'm going to get killed for that.

5. eelkiller

eelkiller Technically right but still wrong

Becauase they know some people will buy the same albums over and over. :)

This new release is another example.

6. eelkiller

eelkiller Technically right but still wrong

Oh and sound reviews please. :)

7. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Yeah, how do they compare to the Doug Sax masters?

8. Norm Apter

Norm Apter Well-Known Member In Memoriam

Based on this thread, I made a special trip to Barnes & Noble Booksellers store here (in Worcester, MA) this afternoon to look for the Uncut magazine. On the shelf I found both the Uncut edition with Marc Bolan on the cover (that includes Nick's interview and a preview of the Wilco album, as PF and Wilco are two of my favorite bands). I also located on the same shelf a special edition of Uncut called "Pink Floyd - The Ultimate Music Guide" with the four members of the classic lineup pictured (along with a small picture of Syd's face).

The Uncut featuring T. Rex was US$9.99 and the Pink Floyd special edition was US$12.50. I can't remember ever spending 22 on two magazines before, but these will be worth it, I think.

The Pink Floyd edition includes interviews, "a new look at each album" "rare photos and supposedly Syd's last interview.

Just an FYI for those who are near B&N stores but don't have a subscription to Uncut...

9. Maidenpriest

:righton: Cool, I wish I had one of those stores here in rural wet Wales !!

10. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Not really, WYWH from the Shine On box is rich and liquid deep. It has all the warmth, detail, spaciousness, and a lack of generational hiss. A perfect remaster not yet topped.

11. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

[​IMG]

Thats pretty good magazine, I bought it straight-away as I found it sometime ago.'
    Has all the albums discussed, facts told along with archive-interviews. One full mag of great Floyd.:agree:

12. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

That set sure looks nice!

13. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Didn't that remaster from the Shine On box become a standard issue?

14. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

According to Vernon's site, these are the EAC peack levels for the Shine On (US Columbia) version:

100 / 100 / 100 / 90.2 / 94.5

Then we have the US Columbia 1997 anniversary version (Doug Sax) and subsequent Capitol reissues:

100 / 100 / 99.9 / 88.8 / 92.2

I haven't made a comparison, but there could be a difference.

Shine On (UK version); we have four issues, these are the here EAC peak levels for Wish you were here.

first issue (discs pressed in Austria):97.7 / 97.7 / 97.7 / 87.6 / 92.0

second issue (EMI Swindon): no EAC peak numbers available on Vernon's site

third issue (discs pressed in Holand): 97.7 / 97.7 / 97.7 / 87.6 / 92.0

fourth issue (CDs that were pressed at Sony's Pitman, New Jersey pressing plant using European masters): 100 / 100 / 100 / 98.5 / 100

All of these information from Vernon's site, of course

http://pinkfloydarchives.com/DUKCDbs.htm#SOBS4

:eek: Confusing, isn't it?

15. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

thanks Norm - looks like a B & N trip is necessary today and btw welcome to New England!

16. Levitated

Levitated Forum Resident

Any Newbury Comics should have it as well:thumbsup:

17. apple-richard

apple-richard Overnight Sensation

Agree with you on all counts. I love my Shine On box. :thumbsup:

Thankfully I'm not one of those Crazed Pink Floyd fans you speak of. :laugh:

18. Myke

Myke Listening

And the Shine On box, which I obviously forgot. So I'm buying the box for 3 out of 6 discs...:sigh:

Then there's the WYWH Immersion set. Already own the Japan-for-US 2 Track CD, and 4 different copies on vinyl, but the box looks irresistable, and I tell myself that by passing on the SACD I'm not a "crazed " Pink Floyd fan. :help::laugh:

19. leefarber

leefarber Forum Resident

While we're on the topic of the "Shine On" set, does anyone know where I can find decent scans of the individual black jewel cases for the albums in the set? I'm importing all the different versions into my music server, and I want to stay true to each release's cover variation.

Vernon's site only has tiny scans...

20. Maidenpriest

Could you not just scan your copies ??

21. leefarber

leefarber Forum Resident

I have a pretty low-end scanner, so I just thought if someone had already done it better than I could, I could grab those scans.

It's interesting... I have found cover art online for every one of the 2000 discs I've ripped to my server (most of it fairly hi-res), and haven't had to scan a single booklet, even the obscure titles. Funny that the one that I couldn't find is for a huge artist like Pink Floyd.

22. Maidenpriest

Maybe the majority of Floyd fans are still listening to the old vinyl albums, which IMO is the best way :D

23. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Good point, and I do try to support them as much as possible (ha ha!).

But, since I'm a B&N member I got a discount and also had a coupon. Therefore I was able to buy both mags Norm mentioned plus the Mojo PF special with the covers album. Probably some redundant info among the three but I have an upcoming flight to Florida and needed some good reading entertainment while I rock out to an ipod fully-loaded with various PF releases...and yes, I am a lunatic.

Let the year of Floyd Immersion officially begin!!

24. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

Good point.

25. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Good grief. I can't believe the album would have been remastered so many times in such a short period for one set.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.