Pink Floyd Discovery Box is here...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TONEPUB, Sep 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

"More" came out just wonderful, warm and clean and clear. I hope the remasters and the box set get this underrated and underexposed album a higher profile.

2. fsfang2

fsfang2 Forum Resident

I completely agree! Very under rated and a GREAT record.:righton:

3. audiorocks

audiorocks Forum Resident

So the Immersion releases will have the same remastering as the Discovery releases but with bonus tracks? Which albums will have Immersion releases? It sounds like the albums from the Discovery box are available separately so it would make sense to buy the Immersion releases and the remaining Discovery albums separately?

4. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

http://www.whypinkfloyd.com/
    The only Immersion releases that anybody knows of (yet!) are the three listed there.

5. botley

botley Forum Resident

So far only Dark Side, Wish You Were Here and The Wall are getting Immersion box sets. Piper and Saucerful are apparently next in line to be officially announced. There's also a chance that other albums could see release in the two-disc Experience format, A Momentary Lapse of Reason being one in the works.

6. boots

boots Chokma!

Dark Side Of The Moon, Wish You Were Here and The Wall are the only official boxes the rest are pipe dreams.:(

7. Norm Apter

Norm Apter Well-Known Member In Memoriam

That was the first of the individual 9 (or so) 2011 remasters that I hunted down and listened to. I think its a substantial improvement on the the Sax '94 remaster. You did well.

8. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

I have been continuing with the Sax/2011 comparisons. Tonight: The Studio Album of Ummagumma. After carefully listening to both versions in their entirety, both my wife and I agreed that the 2011 is significantly better than Sax. The 2011 is clearer, more detailed, the vocals are more pleasant, the louder passages are not as grating. Definitely a more satisfying listening experience for us.

I played both versions of Fat Old Sun to my wife without telling her which one was which. She unequivocally preferred the 2011. She said it sounded like a meadow full of flowers while the Sax version was like a lawn with a single flower on it. Clearly, she has been listening to too much Pink Floyd lately :winkgrin:

I actually was not that certain initially, I could understand where Maidenpriest was coming from. The vocal on Sax is more forward and edgy, the other instruments are behind it, with the bass and drums tight.

On the 2011, the vocals are smoother, the sibilants are unexaggerated, the instruments are more prominent and the vocals blend in more. I could understand that to some ears and on some systems it could be perceived as less clear. But, after listening to both versions several times, I have leaned towards the 2011 also. I think the smoother sound suits such a mellow song better. But the Sax does not sound bad either. I am glad I have both versions.

I don't have 2011 of Piper and DSOTM so I can't comment on those.

9. Big A2

Big A2 Forum Resident

Well, they remastered the stereo mix. I don't see why they wouldn't do it to the mono.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.