Pink Floyd Discovery Box is here...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TONEPUB, Sep 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

That looks really promising..

2. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Correct, I've already seen that in shops here in the Netherlands.

3. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

I wish they would have released the Japanese mini-LP CDs again, not for the sound quality but for the packaging. Those look better than the ObtW ones to me.

4. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

So, according to all the reviews..this new set has the sleeves about the same style as The Beatles remasters???

5. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

How so? Skimming Jeff's review, I saw many positive comments, such as:

6. KeithH

Any chance the Discovery box in Japan will get better packaging?

7. nfloyd

nfloyd Member

I have all those Japan mini lp and indeed they are GREAT compare the ObtW box set.

KeithH I have a feeling that the Japan Discovery set is just the same as the UK/US one with extra stickers and OBI. Both Shine On and Oh By The Way was US edition with an extra japan sticker so I quess it will be the same here.

But since this Discovery set is Digipak and not Mini Lp sleeves I quess the quality would be the same all around.

8. jymy

jymy Senior Member

9. nojmplease

nojmplease Host, You Can't Unhear This

I'm most excited to hear Animals; it's not my favorite album, but it by far sounds the cruddiest (yet strangely sandwiched between two well-mastered albums). If the short previews on Facebook were any indication, this remaster will blow all other versions out of the water.

10. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Animals is the first album that Im gonna give spin out of the new remasters. Surely there was need to get the sound and mastering bit better compared to the other good-sounding PF-albums. Animals had it all but the sound was some sort of lacking.

Please, post some more pics of the discs and sleeves, those who actually have them already.

11. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

12. KeithH

O.K. Good info. Thanks.

13. KeithH

I never found the original CBS/Sony mastering to be lacking.

14. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

Rough translation from Google Translate:

This time not in the category Legendary albums, although that of course is: one of the most legendary bands of all time and one of the most legendary albums ever: The Wall. The best-selling double album of all time with over 30 million copies. This requires every now and then a new version and as part of the great Pink Floyd rereleases the next time we begin this course with master album. But is it so innovative? The first thing you notice when you open the digipack is the artwork. Nothing rejuvenates course, since we all know Gerald Scarfe's drawings: simple, yet hilarious in any depth. Drawings associated with the semi-autobiographical story of Roger Waters. When playing the CD includes the same brightness. Compared with the first version we have heard the music of The Wall a lot cooler, of course, frequently the result of polish, mastering and reproduce by James Guthrie (Alvin Stardust, Judas Priest), since the original release of The Wall in 1979, responsible virtually everything was for Pink Floyd and its individual members released. Guthrie is therefore probably more familiar with the work of the band than the band itself.
    Sure, the real Pink Floyd fan and I do totally nothing new to report about this masterpiece, even though he knows well the Wall in this rerelease more than ever the feeling will have to live, even without 5.1! The non-expert, however, will be amazed at the album. The sound effects are so strong this time forward, the voices are so clear that no one will have all the recordings come from 1979. The era of the LP (for the young among us, a big black disk on which the music has not been to small gecompimeerd MP3tje poor, and the feeling of the artists to be heard) lies behind us and I am and continue to advocate for the black gold, this time the old man must also acknowledge the superiority of the quality of the little silver disc.
    The Wall is not only the action after the fall of the Berlin Wall and the many sound effects tied to WWII. Waters lost his father during the war and the Wall begins with "In the Flesh" with that era. Best viewed at The Wall and therefore better than ever just to mention it. Pink Floyd's "Nobody Home" is the 2011 version more than ever to heavily processed recognized classic. The tragedy of youth water is laced with melancholy and the TV sounds in the background over the music, faithfully followed by the band's tribute to Vera Lynn. The rustling sound in "Vera" from "The Battle of Brittain" of 1969, there are of course still, noise valve, which is a sharp but striking contrast to the music of the band.
    The Wall is not only a mastered version, but in February in an 'experience' version, with additional demos and the unknown "Teacher Teacher". The 'Immersion' version however is more than a true die-hard fan would ever dare dream. 7 CDs with demos, live versions, and what not, this longer version of the masterpiece masterpiece. The Wall already heard in every record collection, but whether it is now unable or, now replaces the remaster with gusto every old copy. (9 / 10) (EMI)

15. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Sorry to hear that. I don't think that the article was meant as a tutorial, though. This product has been discussed here for some time, so almost everything written there is not new to the members of this forum.

16. George McClellan

George McClellan Forum Resident

I agree 100%... plus if they're available as an iTunes LP they usually throw in videos and some artwork.

I was going to buy the physical immersion box, but I am concerned about the packaging. Plus, I don't have a surround setup, and I can do without the trinkets.

I'm still buying the Discovery box though. :righton:

Anyone else considering buying from iTunes if they're available?

17. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I cant justify the Discovery box at the price. I did preorder Saucerful Of Secrets though ;)

18. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Sorry, but with all the sticker questions I was just being sarcastic... and silly! :goodie:

19. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Missing out on putting in the two tracks that TommyTunes discussed.

See Gendron's language around lackluster extras also.

20. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Keith,

Also see:

21. WPLJ

WPLJ Forum Resident

As you can gather from my post, I am considering getting the DSOTM Immersion from iTunes ... hopefully we can pick and choose tracks, but I am not holding my breath. I would buy the Experience edition, but I want more than just a live gig as an extra ... the reverse is true of WYWH: I will simply buy the Experience version, as disc 2 has all I could want and more: live tracks from Animals tour, alternate studio versions/mixes, what have you. Perfect. :righton:

I do have a feeling tho, that we will be forced to buy all the CD audio tracks from the Immersion sets on iTunes as a full set or not at all. I hope I am proven wrong ...

22. George McClellan

The big reason I want the DSOTM immersion set is for the 3rd CD, with the alternate mix and demos. I wanted more than the live gig as an extra as well, which is why I'm skipping the 'Experience' edition.

Like you noted, the 'Experience' edition of WYWH has the same bonus CD as the 'Immersion' edition, so I'll probably go with the 'Experience' version or a download (especially if in iTunes LP).

23. George McClellan

Anyone know how the digipacks are stored in the Discovery Box? It looks like it will be similar to the Beatles Stereo set, but a tad shorter.

Maybe the original poster could post a photo? :wave:

24. Lord_Gastwick

Lord_Gastwick Forum Resident

I know, but the information was incorrect, which is a pity.

25. KeithH

Knowing the author the way I do, prepare to get torched. Not saying you care, but just saying anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.