DCC Archive Pink Floyd-DSOM--MFSL UD1 vs Shine Box vers

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Winston, Dec 8, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Winston

Dr. Winston New Member Thread Starter

I happen to own the MFSL-UD1----it always gets pretty good reviews --- does the remaster from the "Shine On" box offer anything better? Thanks.

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Depends totally on your tastes. The UD1 might lift you off of your seat and challange your subwoofer, but the Shine On version (mirrors the now-stock copy on Harvest/Capitol) is better rounded out. I choose the latter, but the real nice listen is the Stan Ricker cut MFSL LP 017. The Millenium EMI UK issue second, the Pro-Use Japanese EMI and the EAS come further down. Put the Capitol CD about right after the Millenium LP. Rock!

3. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member

I differ with the above only by saying that the best version, far and away, is the British quad 8-track. It's truly discrete 4 channel (unlike the U.S./Canadian issue) and is simply mind-blowing. Much more detail that the stereo version just simply can't reproduce, and more effects to boot. Of this title, I have it in these formats, best quality to least...british Q8, MFSL UDCD, Japan Pro Use, U.K. quad issue vinyl, cassette, quad 8-track U.S. issue, reg. 8-track, U.S. vinyl. as noted above, there's a few better issues than some of these, such as the original MFSL or maybe the UHQR MFSL, but nothing, IMO, can touch that british Q8. BTW, Animals on brit 8-track is also pretty incredible.

4. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

Vinyl or CD? (I have both, but haven't listened to the vinyl in 17 (?) years)

5. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Lennonfan, I too have the Quad Brit Q8, transferred to DTS. It is mindblowing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.