Pink Floyd DSOTM Immersion Blu Ray Failure

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tornado Red, Nov 22, 2016.

1. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

What’s wrong with The Wall Live disc(s)? Box set or original?

2. uffeolby

uffeolby Senior Member

WYWH had static pops in the last minutes of the disc or so, and yes there were a replacement program for that - I used it myself to great success. At that time yu did not have to send in the faulty disc so I made one of my friends very happy...

Shvartze Shabbos and bobcat like this.
  3. Perhaps mine was shipped with corrected disc as I don’t hear the noise you’ve described.

4. espartaco

espartaco Forum Resident

In the automatic response email, now it says that you can send the faulty disc or proof of purchase. I sent an email last night and received the following:

Hi there,

If your enquiry is regarding a faulty 'Dark Side of the Moon' Blu-ray
    contained in the Immersion Box Set,
    please send that faulty disc or proof of purchase to the following
    address along with your details to receive a replacement disc. You do
    not need to send any original packaging - just the disc.

DSOTM BD Replacement
    PO Box 263
    Wirral
    CH29 9FU
    United Kingdom

PLEASE REMEMBER TO INCLUDE YOUR ADDRESS FOR REPLACEMENT DISC.

You should receive your replacement disc in approx 4 weeks.

Update 28th November
    The Replacement Programme will end on Jan 31st 2019 so please make
    your application by that date or we can’t guarantee you a replacement
    disc.

5. mattazing

mattazing Forum Resident

I tried my disc last to be sure I'm all good, but it didn't work anymore. Can't we just send in a proof of purchase by mail? I have the confirmation email which should be a lot easier instead of sending it out by mail. In any case, thank you for this information.

dirie likes this.
  6. AlexC

AlexC Forum Resident

the problem on Wish is:
    In the 5.1 version:
    3 clicks at 41:48 (rear right), 43:54, and 44:10 (both rear left).

i have it and it's not a deal breaker, end of the album.
    there was a replacement program at the time the boxset was released which has now ended.

7. AlexC

AlexC Forum Resident

no they want the disc to make sure it's 1 for 1 exchange.

8. drum_cas

drum_cas Forum Resident

Yes! Today I received the replacement disc. Works like a charm!

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  9. Spindrift11

Spindrift11 Member

Quick update - received a response and original replacement disc was lost in the mail. They sent another and it was received this week. Thanks to everyone who responded to my post. Happy New Year!

JulesRules likes this.
  10. Hush

Hush "Fate, up against your will"

Really happy to have found this thread.

My blu-ray disc of DSOTM 5.1 died on me a couple of months ago. On checking this thread, I find that I have one of the serial numbers that needs replaced. Disc has now been popped in the post and hopefully I'll manage to get a new disc.

Many thanks for the info in this thread above. Much appreciated.

Shvartze Shabbos and theshape like this.
  11. Edmoney

Edmoney Forum Resident

But in the updated automatic email response, they now say that proof of purchase is sufficient. See post #428 above. However, they don't specify what kind of proof of purchase is acceptable. I tried emailing them yesterday to ask but haven't received a response yet.

12. David67

David67 Forum Resident

I would just send in the disc as advised below albeit received before Christmas.

Hi there,

If your enquiry is regarding a faulty 'Dark Side of the Moon' Blu-ray contained in the Immersion Box Set, please send that faulty disc to the following address along with your details for us to send you a replacement disc. You do not need to send any original packaging - just the disc.

DSOTM BD Replacement
    PO Box 263
    Wirral
    CH29 9FU
    United Kingdom

PLEASE REMEMBER TO INCLUDE YOUR ADDRESS FOR REPLACEMENT DISC.
    You should receive your replacement disc in approx 4 weeks.

stinsojd likes this.
  13. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Does the 1/31/19 timeframe mean the disc has to reach the UK by then or shipped by the 31st? Is the current email address [email protected]? Thanks :)!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  14. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I sent an email to [email protected] asking about the timeframe issues. I received an automated response without any clarification in regard to the 1/31/19 timeframe. My DSOTM Blu-ray still plays. So I'm not going to risk sending the disk only for it to get lost or miss the 1/31/19 date. If the Blu-ray was unplayable then I'd have nothing to lose.

15. Leviathan

Leviathan Forum Resident

Forgive me for not reading the whole thread, but is there a way to check if you have a faulty disc or it as simple as it either works or doesn’t play at all? I don’t have a surround sound setup so I can’t check if that plays alright.

Has there been any reports of problems with the US pressings?

16. Edmoney

Edmoney Forum Resident

I imagine that they're saying that they need to receive it by January 31. This gives them a hard cut-off deadline after which they no longer feel they need to be responsible. Otherwise, discs can be trickling in at various points after that date, coming in from all over the world with potential postal delays, and I'm sure they don't want to have to worry about that.

My personal dilemma is that I don't even own the set yet and am trying to decide whether to pull the trigger and purchase from Amazon UK. I'd have to wait to receive it from them (I'm in the US) and then turn around and ship the Blu-ray back to the UK before the deadline. The real reason I'm interested in this set at all is that Quad mix plus some lesser curiosity about that Early Mix (Parsons) on disc 6. Is the set really worth the cost and hassle for those two things? I already own the Harvest Blackface for the original stereo mix.

17. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Just checked the Amazon UK price, £79.95. At this price I’d say yes; the quad mix isn’t available anywhere else aside from the original vinyl, and is beautifully presented. The Early Mix works for me by being the album I’m familiar with, but with enough missing or changed parts to force me to fully engage and listen, the joy being in the unexpected.

Compared to a standalone 5.1 BluRay or SACD, the box is expensive (though not prohibitively so), but the exclusivity of the quad & Early Mix to this set make it essential in my book.

Unlike some SDE sets, I’ve never once had cause to regret spending the money on the Dark Side Immersion box.

18. David67

David67 Forum Resident

Just beware the price you quoted is from a third party seller. Amazon is actually selling the box for £90.30.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004ZNARH4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

19. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

David67 likes this.
  20. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

My marbles stopped working. Anyone else?

21. drum_cas

drum_cas Forum Resident

No, I only have the coaster defect.

boggs and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  22. theshape

theshape Forum Resident

Lost mine years ago.

Hush, boggs and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  23. :biglaugh:

theshape likes this.
  24. Edmoney

Edmoney Forum Resident

Although it sounds like that even at the Amazon price of £90.30 (although I won't have to pay that full price since I won't be charged VAT as a US customer), you still feel it's worth it based on the quad and Early mixes offered. And taking into account the trouble and cost of mailing in the Blu-ray for replacement.

coffeetime likes this.
  25. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

I paid £99 for my set way back when and I still enjoy listening to the quad and 5.1 mixes, usually when I have the house to myself so I don't have to listen to accusations of listening to 'hippy music' from Mrs Coffeetime :) And thankfully I've not had any issues with my BluRay disc (tempted to put it in the player just to check).

You could get the 5.1 mix from the SACD at a lower price, and source the Early Mix from 'elsewhere'. That leaves the quad as difficult to obtain from outside of the set. The contents of the Blu Ray are essential to me, and Early Years is an entirely worthwhile listening experience. That said I also loved the remaster of Is There Anybody Out There? on The Wall Immersion box, and there is no consensus as to it making that particular box worthwhile.

Personally speaking, Floyd are the benchmark for surround format music. From the quad mixes of Atom Heart Mother, through Dark Side and Wish to the 5.1 adventures of The Division Bell, Dark Side & Wish, though Pulse and Roger & David's solo albums to the home video presentation of their concerts, Pulse, Remember That Night, Roger's The Wall. At every turn, quad and 5.1 Floyd have become the standard against which all other band's surround efforts are judged. Most fall short.

If you're only after satisfying curiosity then £80 plus is a lot to spend. If you regularly put Dark Side on to listen to and think the idea of alternate, less familiar versions of the album sto go with the original album sounds wonderful and not 'I think it can be said one can have too much of this played to death album' then I'd say go for it. The photo books are cool, the marbles and scarf...less so, the tickets and trinkets enjoyed if they are your thing, ignored if not. The 5.1, quad and Early Mix make it worth the premium over the Discovery 1CD and Experience 2CD reissues from the 2011.

David67 and Edmoney like this.