Pink Floyd DSOTM Immersion Blu Ray Failure

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tornado Red, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

I bought my WYWH Immersion box on the day of release from Amazon UK and they contacted me with a replacement Blu Ray even before I had realised there was an issue with the 5.1 Blu Ray. When my DSOTM Blu Ray failed a couple of years ago, and before the disc replacement programme commenced, I tried Amazon support, but their view was that the disc had failed 5+ years after purchase which was well outside any normal warranty period and they declined to help further. I remember posting about this earlier in this thread and have posted my experiences with the replacement programme above. I now have a healthy scepticism regarding the stability of Blu Ray discs and have ripped both Immersion sets and the entire Early Years Blu Ray discs and made several backups. When I get my hands on the Later Years box it will end up ripped on its first play.

2. Audionerd

Audionerd Forum Resident

I’m sure they couldn’t care less, and just want to sell through their remaining inventory to unsuspecting customers who either won’t notice or won’t care.

klockwerk and JediJoker like this.
  3. David67

David67 Forum Resident

They sent me another box without having to return the first one which is not the point because both sets have scratched CD's and faulty defective Blue-ray discs. The record company back in 2011 should have recalled all the box sets and replaced the EU defective discs and provided sleeves for the CD's bearing in mind the exorbitant cost of these sets at the time until fairly recently.

Raziel666 likes this.
  4. albelTW

albelTW Go beyond

Just got my replacement disc. It has the same serial number of the defective ones.
    I'll fully test it one of these days, but a quick spin reveals that it plays fine in my BD player but is not recognized in my pc.
    I'm guessing that this disc will fail too at some point in the future.
    I have to find a way to back it up now.

Raziel666 likes this.
  5. zinan

zinan Forum Resident

BD of the box has an IFPI 1GF0
    BD replacement - IFPI 9752

6. albelTW

albelTW Go beyond

Thank you for making me notice the difference in the IFPI, I haven't thought of checking it.
    Hopefully in the next few days I'll be able to have access to another pc with a BD drive to try to back up the disc.

7. peteranders

peteranders New Member

So having failed to get any information on how to replace the faulty Blu-rays In my original DSOTM and WYWH immersion boxes, I reordered from Amazon UK this week taking advantage of some pre Xmas price reductions and you guessed it the new Blu-ray Discs are not recognised either so these will be going straight back. I am still baffled by the mail@aecreate email address because it takes me to a very nice lady called Janice at Universal who says she knows nothing about that email address even though the messages go to her. And that Universal does not own the rights so can do nothing to replace the faulty discs. Who the hell are we supposed to contact? Can anyone please advise.

8. Audionerd

Audionerd Forum Resident

The email address you’re using is correct- it worked a year ago when I requested DSOTM replacements. aecreate may now be forwarding all new emails directly to Universal. I’m guessing the DSOT replacement program is closed. aecreate appears to be a media production house; they were probably retained temporarily for the DSOTM replacement program, and if the label doesn’t want to pay, aecreate won’t do it for free... all speculation of course!

For WYWH, it seems we’re out of luck.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
  9. David67

David67 Forum Resident

For Dark Side Of The Moon, you need to contact:

[email protected]

For Wish You Were Here there is no replacement program and WMG are not even responding to any further enquiries following their offer of an LP.

Woger Warters and Audionerd like this.
  10. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

I received an auto-reply on 17 December that they were "waiting on an answer from the distributor on stock availability for further replacement discs"

JediJoker and Hattipper like this.
  11. Wolfspaw

Wolfspaw Forum Resident

Anyone buy this new recently from Amazon and have any problems?

12. stumptown0426

stumptown0426 Member

I just bought them both DSOTM and WYWH in the last three weeks. Both Blu Rays worked just fine but it sounds like I'm going to need to rip both of them.

13. peteranders

peteranders New Member

Many thanks everyone for the updated info
    Wolfspaw. I bought both these boxes from Amazon UK this week and the DSOTM disc is just the same as my original from 2011 purchase. Tried it in a couple of players and The disc is not recognised by either. Need to check out the WYWH one.

14. Would someone kindly post the matrix number for the early Euro WYWH disk which has the sound glitches?

15. peteranders

peteranders New Member

Thanks DM. I emailed them again today and got same automated response. If enough people contact them following recent or original purchases hopefully they will reprint.

mc9 likes this.
  16. albelTW

albelTW Go beyond

Here

Shvartze Shabbos and JediJoker like this.
  17. Thank you!

18. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

So basically all the DSOTM blurays are faulty, but it's a crap shoot for WYWH as they replaced the faulty bluray after the initial pressing?

19. Wolfspaw

Wolfspaw Forum Resident

Thanks everyone.

I have WYWH already it seems ok. I just bought dark side. :hide:

20. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

I don't think (couldn't find) anyone that come out to explain/confirm this "sudden death BD" issue. I have multiple discs that stopped working. Literally overnight. DSOTM, "Enter the Dragon", "Kingdom Of Heaven" etc.

Regards

21. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

It’s a worry. I don’t think I have had any inexplicable failures of CDs, as I never had any of the PDO discs that rotted. I had one or two DVDs that developed an odd bronzing and failed, and there are lots of reports of premature failures of Blu Rays. The DSOTM disc failure has been attributed to a particular manufacturer, but I do wonder whether BDs, with their much higher capacity than CDs and DVDs, are just inherently less stable long term.

I haven’t requested replacement Early Years BDs yet as mine all worked a few years ago, but I have used MakeMKV to back up my replacement DSOTM and WYWH discs along with all of the Early Years BDs, and when I get my hands on the Later Years box the first thing I will be doing is backing everything up. Naturally, the backups themselves have been backed up. Any event catastrophic enough to take out my discs, computer and on and off site backups will probably leave me with greater concerns than my music collection. Or I’ll have been taken out too!

bobcat and DrZhivago like this.
  22. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

Yeah. As you mentioned. Disc rot (CD/DVD) is well understood, and a result of chemical or physical deterioration of the disc. Gradual and clearly visible. BD issue is impossible to explain. All discs that failed, looked top notch. No scratches, no discoloration. Absolutely no signs of any physical damage.

Regards

Sevoflurane likes this.
  23. albelTW

albelTW Go beyond

Some pages back, I posted an explanation and a couple of useful links I found on the internet about bluray disc failure.
    DSOTM is just one case, there are others. My copy of Inglorious Basterds failed too. One of the aforementioned links contains a list of failed discs.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
    JediJoker likes this.
  24. Petr Kropotkin

Petr Kropotkin Forum Resident

Well, here’s my unfortunate experience with the DSoTM Immersion Blu-ray:

I ordered the Immersion set from jpc.de as it was on sale a few months ago. The BR was recognised by my Oppo UDP-205, but none of these audio selections worked:
    The 5.1 Surround Mix (2003)
    The Original Stereo Mix (1973)
    The 4.0 Quad Mix (1974)

In each case, whichever of these was selected just defaulted to the “BACK” menu item. I then found the discussion on here and confirmed mine was one of the dodgy ones (294349 DB44459-01 optimal media production L0). I contacted jpc, explained the problem, quoted the discussion on here, and they sent a replacement disc. This one was not recognised at all by the Oppo, so I sent that one back, emphasising that would someone please check the disc before sending it. It arrived today and it has the same problem (and same number) as the first one. So that’s 3 BR I’ve had from jpc in Germany now, and none have worked properly.

Coincidentally, the replacement disc from the [email protected] people arrived today as well. I had contacted them having read the discussion on here, got the “sorry” automated reply, then another email a few weeks ago saying we will send you one after all. It’s recognised, but won’t play the three mixes just like the jpc ones (it has the same number as the jpc one, except its L1 not L0). Just to make sure each time it wasn’t an Oppo issue, I confirmed that the same problems happened each time on my Samsung and Panasonic Blu-ray players.

It really is unconscionable that this farce continues and nobody is taking responsibility to finally sort this issue out. Any ideas about where I/we go from here?

Raziel666, mc9 and JediJoker like this.
  25. Standstillladdie

Standstillladdie Active Member

Hello,
    I'm new here and stumbled on this thread. I was not aware of the BR failure until yesterday. I bought the DSOTM immersion set in 2011 in the UK and after going through it then had not touched it since. I'm 'glad' this is not just my disc, i.e. it's a known problem and hopefully everyone will get a correct disc at some point.

I will read all the info here when I can and will also check my WYWH set.

Thanks for your advise

ARK likes this.