Pink Floyd DSOTM Immersion Blu Ray Failure

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tornado Red, Nov 22, 2016.

1. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Mine won't play on my Xbox One BD player but it will play on everything else. Just FYI.

2. That indicates it's slowly going bad and will eventually fail on other players.

While not common, it's not unheard of for Blu-rays to go bad. There are notoriously poor runs of certain movies on the format that have failed. Criterion had to deal with their entire manufacturing runs pressed around 2009-2010 going bad after a few years.

3. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Couldn't it also mean that the player is going bad and the disc is fine?

jsayers likes this.
  4. Not in the case of DSOTM BR. It's the disc.

Beyond Salvation likes this.
  5. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Reading this thread made me get mine out (European). It works and my god the 24/96 stereo sounds good! I haven't played the SACD for a while but I don't remember it sounding this good, it's reference quality.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  6. Awesome

Awesome Forum Resident

there is an auto reply on the email address now:

Hi there,

If you're enquiry is regarding issues the Blu-ray of The Dark Side of the Moon as part of the IMMERSION box set, we are investigating ways to resolve these recently 'failed' discs and a replacement process.

Best,
    Andy

7. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I traded a Sgt Pepper DVD for a DSOTM BD a few months back. So glad the BD was the US pressing and not the Euro one which is the one failing on everyone.

8. Brian9229

Brian9229 Rushman

I have the NA DSOTM and WYWH and neither will play the quad mix on my OPPO 203, however, the 5.1 plays fine. This is annoying.

9. Brian9229

Brian9229 Rushman

Update: I hooked up my older Panasonic BDT320 and the quad mixes play fine. My OPPO is up to date even, but they aren't playing. I've reviewed every setting throughout receiver and oppo, and it's plain and clear it's the oppo. I should note that on the oppo I do in fact get sound from the fronts, just not the rear, and my receiver is definitely outputting 4 ch.

10. Tornado Red

Tornado Red Forum Resident Thread Starter

Perhaps post in the 203 thread over on AVS if you belong, tons of info on the Oppo players there. You might see if someone else has the same issue, if not I'd suggest contacting Oppo they're extremely customer friendly :agree:

Bill Mac likes this.
  11. Brian9229

Brian9229 Rushman

Thanks for the info, :righton:I'm actually live with oppo CS now. Trying to figure it out. All I can say is totally bizarre. Out of curiosity I hooked up an old Panasonic and Sony I have stored away and they both played it fine. That, to me anyway, really narrowed it down. But, we'll see.

Tornado Red likes this.
  12. Engels

Engels Member

My DSOTM Blu-ray fails to read in my Panasonic BS750 BD player and on our Xbox One. I have the WYWH set and that works fine.

Its the same European version that everyone is mentioning above. Anyone heard back from emailing Andy Evans at the authoring studio yet?

13. Awesome

Awesome Forum Resident

I've mailed Andy and asked for an update.

Engels likes this.
  14. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

Any update?

15. I doubt it's an authoring issue. It sounds like the European pressing plant is the culprit in this instance.

Jerry Horne likes this.
  16. nedwho

nedwho Forum Resident

I haven’t heard anything since late last year. In the meantime I upgraded to an oppo (yay!) but the disc also fails to read in that (boo!). So that’s three players that the disc has failed to play in out of the box.

17. Engels

Engels Member

you would think they could at least provide a link to a flac download of the hires

18. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I played the quad mix off the Blu-ray a few days ago and it played fine. Feel like I'm on borrowed time ;).

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  19. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

I hope not ! I played mine about 3 times and it quit. I certainly hope they will replace these. There is an obvious problem!

20. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Trouble is, in retail terms, interesting someone in a product which fails after a few years (6 in my case) even with light use doesn’t get you very far. Amazon UK said as much when I complained. Fortunately, I had the stereo and 5.1 mixes ripped. Still annoyed I lost the Roger the Hat audio...

21. Tornado Red

Tornado Red Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think the failures have been (almost) all on the German Optimal pressings, and not the NA ones, so I’m not too worried about mine. Much. :p

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  22. Isaac McHelicopter

Isaac McHelicopter Possession is a clue but not the game.

Mine has failed too. Luckily, I made a full backup. :)

23. Maybe not. If you have one that was pressed in a different plant than the ones effected, you should be fine. Mine still plays perfectly but it was not pressed in the faulty German plant.

24. lance b

lance b Forum Resident

So, where can I get this DVD/CD set from?

25. Engels

Engels Member

seems like sellers have caught on to the problem. US/Canada and Japanese versions more expensive on Discogs and Amazon.com, so that put paid to my idea of getting another version