Pink Floyd - Fictional Second Album with Syd Barrett

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by andrewskyDE, Nov 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner Thread Starter

I remember this one from the box set thread. I like your idea a lot!

2. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

I'm probably going to steal it. Thanks!

andrewskyDE likes this.
  3. the Deacon from Deetroit

the Deacon from Deetroit Active Member

I actually have 6 Pink Floyd albums planned with Syd on every track. One is Stockholm live - that was a no-brainer. The first is early stuff. The second is "Projection" - the Joe Boyd / Sound Techniques sessions. Then "Piper". They could have released "Speak!" and "Stockholm" in summer '68 as a stop-gap to give them more time to work on ASOS.

BTW, I created my own EQ mix edit of "Set the Controls" that highlights Syd's guitar line.

Natural E, jlf and andrewskyDE like this.
  4. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

We might be able to use the live version from the Stockholm show in lieu of the lost studio cut.

5. andrewskyDE

Wow, such great ideas! Awesome to see, in fact, how many material exists with Syd's contributions!

And, for the early Sound Techniques material, I also created an album for it. This would've been an actual debut album, and Piper would be the second release.^^

The Pink Floyd
    Release: April 1967, Columbia Records UK
    Recorded at Sound Techniques Chelsea by Joe Boyd (Jan-March 1967)

[​IMG]

Side 1
    Arnold Layne
    Interstellar Overdrive

Side 2
    Nick's Boogie
    Candy And A Currant Bun

Actually, in an earlier version of this, I included 'See Emily Play' on Side 2 as Track 1, but (besides it was record at the same location around the time) it was a Norman Smith production.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  6. andrewskyDE

Years ago I was against the idea of studio AND live recordings combined on one album, but after I got to know the Cream discography, for example, I don't "hate" these release formats anymore.^^
    So actually an inclusion of 'Reaction In G' recorded Live in Stockholm wouldn't be a bad idea.

7. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

8. andrewskyDE

9. andrewskyDE

The artwork I posted? Sure you can use it, man ;)

Luke The Drifter likes this.
  10. Luke The Drifter

Especially if it is going to be the sound quality that is rumored.

11. andrewskyDE

Well, we heard 'Interstellar Overdrive' from the Stockholm performance in the box set trailer which, in my opinion, sounds surprisingly great. So, I'm a bit optimistic on this one.

12. DeadParrot

DeadParrot Forum Resident

Slight variation, but here's a hypothetical 1968 Syd album. It's uses material either worked on in 1968, or considered for work in 1968. Not as good as what we got, but fun to listen to nonetheless.

Syd Barrett- The Open Road
    Side 1
    Lanky (Part1)
    Scream Thy Last Scream
    Swan Lee
    Vegetable Man
    In The Beechwoods
    Late Night
    Side 2
    Rhamadan

13. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

A couple versions I doodled at lunch the other day.... I did use Beechwoods. And if Traffic & Cream could include live tracks on their albums, I'm taking liberties with Reaction In G (even if Floyd wouldn't have)....

Side One
    Jug Band Blues
    Set the Controls
    Remember a Day (if only there were a studio One In a Million to insert here)
    Scream Thy Last Scream

Side Two
    Reaction In G
    Paint Box
    Beechwoods
    Vegetable Man

or

Side One
    Scream Thy Last Scream
    Reaction In G
    Set the Controls
    Apples and Oranges
    Paint Box

Side Two
    Remember a Day
    Beechwoods
    Vegetable Man
    Jug Band Blues

I keep thinking Julia Dream would fit so well with these songs, too....

14. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Here's a "lost" Syd album I burned together a few years ago. (My original version moved Dylan Blues up to 2nd song, but I think it's gotta be Opel.)

Lanky, Pt. 2
    Opel
    Word Song
    Bob Dylan Blues
    Two of a Kind
    Lanky, Pt. 1
    Milky Way
    Swan Lee
    Dolly Rocker
    Birdie Hop
    Let's Split

Rhamadan (bonus track)

15. the Deacon from Deetroit

the Deacon from Deetroit Active Member

16. Wyd Syatt

Wyd Syatt Forum Resident

To begin with, we have to know which tracks are we 'allowed' to pick up for this fictional LP : tracks that we have (including the ones coming in the box set) or tracks that we could have had ? Of course, my choice would be the first, since I'm not keen on building an LP, even fictional, that I could not listen to.
    I would also only choose 1967 songs, and not include Latham, which wasn't recorded for that purpose.
    So I do mostly agree with Luke's tracklist, allthough, as I already mentionned it, in the box set thread, not in the same order.
    I won't repeat it again, cause everyone has his tastes and sensitivity, but I'd like to insist on the fact that we'd have to relieve ourselves from the Piper tracklist, and build a LP which works by itself, and take care of the crucial slots on an album : opener and closer. Also, since it would have been a LP Vinyl, Side-A closer and Side-B opener are important too.
    Having said that, it would be impossible for me to close the LP with something else than 'Jugband Blues'.
    But the opener is more free, I'd say.
    My choice would be 'Reaction In G' (yes, the live Stockholm version), since it's rocking and it's in mono also, so I don't think it would work elsewhere, bar the beginning of B-side maybe.
    For the rest, it depends, as i said, of tastes and sensitivity.

To finish with, I'd like to congrat Andrew for his nice cover. It's very good and the art and colour fit very well with the mood of the LP. However, I would have prefer an autumn picture of the band, with Nick wearing mustache, and Syd staring at you, through you, and through the wall behind you (like the b&w one inside the church or the pally, don't know where it is). May I ask if you could 'try it another way' Andrew ? ;-)

andrewskyDE and Luke The Drifter like this.
  17. Luke The Drifter

I would second seeing what Andrew could do with those cool pictures you reference. I love those photos. And I love what Andrew is doing with the liquid light stuff.

andrewskyDE and Wyd Syatt like this.
  18. Luke The Drifter

I think there is a chance that Stockholm will sound so good, it may not sound very live. It will be very interesting to hear.

anth67, andrewskyDE and Wyd Syatt like this.
  19. Luke The Drifter

Andrew, I do not think your album cover image is displaying anymore. Can you re-post it so I can get it saved?

Thanks!

20. andrewskyDE

21. andrewskyDE

Thanks so much for enjoying my artwork ideas :)
    Usually I work with high resolution pictures to get a better result, I couldn't find a pro shot picture of the band from late 1967 unfortunately.
    So I chose that (semi-) rare band photo with the thought in mind like no one's gonna recognize if this photo was made much earlier than summer '67 or something.^^

Of course I will try some other artwork for this. Always like to do experiments with liquid light show pictures also.

Luke The Drifter and Wyd Syatt like this.
  22. Wyd Syatt

Wyd Syatt Forum Resident

It is earlier, but I agree it's a very nice picture and it flows very well with the artwork.
    I like it actually.
    If you have the Piper 1994 remaster CD, the picture I mentionned is beside 'The Gnome' lyrics.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  23. andrewskyDE

Ah yeah, that church photo... Good choice, how could I forgot that pic!
    Just found another photo of the band during the latter time with Syd. Made a solarize effect over it and pasted it to the same liquid lights. Hope this fits better.

[​IMG]

24. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

There was a second LP. It's called "Ummagumma".
    Syd telepathically phoned in his performance.
    He's all over the place on that one, actually.

parman likes this.
  25. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

My version of of a 2nd Pink Floyd album includes outtakes/singles and one song that Syd worked on in 1968 for early 'Madcap Laughs' sessions, and focuses more on songs.. so no room for the lengthy 'Saucerful of Secrets' title track, which may become a tune played live & held-over for the "Man and the Journey" album the following year.

Side 1:
    Let there be more light
    Remember a day
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun
    See saw
    Late night

Side 2
    It would be so nice
    Apples and oranges (note: instead of issuing it as a single in late 1967, they abandon the 1967 take & re-record it with the kinks/bad production ironed out.. more about singles below..)
    Paintbox
    Julia Dream
    Scream thy last scream
    Jugband blues

As far as singles go, the management cuts a deal with their American label to release albums with the same tracklist on both sides of the Atlantic, but concede that singles can be taken from album tracks..

In that scenario, the late 1967 single would be Vegetable Man b/w Reaction in G (last non-album single in a while)

First single off the album would be Let there be more Light b/w Corporal Clegg

Second Single from the album would be Paint Box b/w Swan Lee (Silas Lang)

Then a 3rd (non album) single of Point me at the sky b/w Careful with that Axe Eugene as per normal towards the end of 1968.

andrewskyDE likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.