Pink Floyd - Fictional Second Album with Syd Barrett

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by andrewskyDE, Nov 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

Got it! Organizational blocker.

Thanks!!

andrewskyDE likes this.
  2. Luke The Drifter

Great stuff Andrew. I would still love to see this photo with the liquid light stuff and band name without extra letters.

[​IMG]

3. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner Thread Starter

Just made another one which could fit great as well. Something like an equivalent to 'Beatles For Sale' but a bit winter related.^^
    Could also fit as a 'Best Of Pink Floyd' sleeve with the band's 67/68 singles material.

[​IMG]

4. andrewskyDE

Already made. Check the older pages ;)

5. Luke The Drifter

I saw one with the cool "Byrd's eye view". Is there also one with the liquid light effect like the other pictures? I love those. You do good work my man.

6. andrewskyDE

Thanks, man! But your sure you didn't see this? There's liquid stuff behind the fish-eye photo.

7. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

looks great!

8. andrewskyDE

Thanks! This pic is one of the candidates I would take when I finished compiling an own second Syd-era album next year probably.

9. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Look forward to hearing about it/seeing it. :)

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
    andrewskyDE likes this.
  10. andrewskyDE

A rough tracklist idea is on the first post of this thread. I still have to hear 'Beechwoods' and the 'Latham' sessions. Hope there's something useful as a good fit for the album.

11. Luke The Drifter

Love it. Was hoping to see one covered in liquid light, like your first ones. But don't feel obliged. Love them all!!

12. andrewskyDE

I tried out some pic crossfadings and even some more solarizing effects for the other photos yesterday, I didn't upload them because the results were very untasty. ;)
    And thank you very much! Glad you like the sleeves.

Luke The Drifter likes this.
  13. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I remember seeing that trcklist. I guess I want to find out how you finish it once you have heard the extra material. And of course you will be adding some touches like fades.

btw. I think The PF should ask you do their artwork. Far superior to what I have seen from their usual designers, these days. :)

andrewskyDE likes this.
  14. andrewskyDE

I think there will be some minor fades/crossfades. Want to make it a similar way like Piper had.
    And thanks so much! I always try to combine the "right" pictures with the era's music ;) But no bad words to the official designers, they did an awesome job for the box set!

15. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Unfortunately, almost every contribution Gilmour (and Waters) made to Syd's two solo albums were disastrous. The lie that EMI were ready to scrap Syd's debut LP until the charity of Waters and Gilmour saved the day simply isn't true. There is an avalanche of evidence backing this up.....a can of worms I don't have the energy to open here.

16. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

FWIW over 40 minutes of post-Piper studio material *with Syd* exists......more or less fully-reaslied tracks save for Beechwoods and Untitled - both 'master' takes of instrumental tracks for Syd originals recorded for a Piper follow up album and/or contenders for the 3rd 1967 single....

7-8th August 1967 - Abbey Road
    -Scream thy Last Scream
    -Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun

15-16th September 1967 Sound Techniques
    -Reaction In G (10:00 live in the studio take, :40 excerpt used for Beat Club News)
    -(Down) In The Beechwoods

4th September 1967 Sound Techniques
    -No Title (basic track, untitled Syd original)

9-20th October 1967 De Lane Lea
    -Remember A Day
    -Vegetable Man (version 1)
    -Jugband Blues (version 1)
    -Jugband Blues (version 2)
    -Vegetable Man (version 2)
    -John Latham (finished 10/67 mix lost)

23-27th October 1967 (Abbey Road)
    -Paint Box
    -Early Morning Henry (lost track)
    -Paint Box (re-make)
    -Paint Box (2nd re-make)
    -Apples & Oranges

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  17. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Sorry. I should really keep such thoughts to myself.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  18. andrewskyDE

Thanks so much for the recording list, Chris!
    As I see, for example, 'Paint Box' was remade a few times. Does these session tapes still exist?
    After we heard the 'Apples And Oranges' stereo mix with studio chatters in the Piper 40th Anniversary box/book there might be hope for that.

19. Surferghost

Surferghost Forum Resident

Some great work here, Andrew! I especially like the above.

20. Luke The Drifter

Do we know anything about "Early Morning Henry"?

21. andrewskyDE

I read that the tapes of that track are lost, if this song even existed.^^

22. andrewskyDE

Thank you! :)

23. Jason68

Jason68 Member

Andrew,

This is a fascinating topic. For years and years I have made alternate pink floyd recordings using cassette tapes. Very crude my work, but it is what I had at the time. As I am in the U.S. I would try a cover with the old Tower label. A couple of points:

1) I did not use Apples and Oranges, since the Floyd/E.M.I. at that time did not usually include singles with their albums. Then again, Tower would have put a successful single on the album, but none of the Pink Floyd singles made a splash like See Emily Play did in 67.

2) I like ending Side one with Remember a Day and Set Control for the Heart of the Sun. Those two do flow together and having a track like Corporal Clegg at the end disrupts the flow in my view.

3) I have debated using other tracks. For example, just as a contrast, I tried using Syd's track with Kevin Ayers, Singing a Song in the Morning, and some solo Syd tracks from 1968, such as Golden Hair, both the vocal and instrumental, and Swanlee/Silas Lang.

4) Some tracks are what I call Faux-Syd tracks, in other words, songs that sounded like Syd's Floyd but were made after his departure. Examples include Julia Dream, Corporal Clegg, See Saw, and Careful With That Axe Eugene.

5) Silly, sometimes I think it would have been interesting if Floyd had a Grace Slick like figure in the band. Pity I guess that Juliette Gale did not stay in the band.

Thanks

andrewskyDE likes this.
  24. Jason68

Jason68 Member

I forgot to add what my play list would be. Drawing on a number of ideas, here is my take. I arranged the songs into a concept.

Side One:

1) Into the Beechwood Forest - Barrett
    2) Visiting an Old Lady with a Casket - Barrett
    3) Childhood's End (Remember A Day) - Wright
    4) Into the Void (Set Controls for the Heart of the Sun) - Waters

Side Two:
    1) Astronomy Domine (Omitted in the first Tower Release, so added here) - Barrett
    2) No Home (Vegetable Man) - Barrett
    3) Mystery Bit (first part of Jugband Blues) - Barrett
    4) Green is the Colour (Second part) - Barrett 5) Childhood Return (See-Saw)- Wright

Credits

Guitar and Vocals - Syd Barrett
    Bass and Vocals - Roger Waters
    Organ, Piano, Mellotron and Vocals - Rick Wright
    Drums and Vocals - Nick Mason
    Production and Additional Instruments - Norman Smith
    Engineer - Peter Bown

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
    andrewskyDE likes this.
  25. soniclovenoize

soniclovenoize Forum Resident

Good question. I was intending to before the box came out, but now I decided I will not. I was disappointed in the material here, in that I don't think it'd be a very good improvement of what I already have, for these reasons:

1) I do not like the new mixing of "Vegetable Man", "Scream Thy Last Scream" and "In The Beechwoods". As I mentioned earlier in the thread, they sound very slick, modern and most importantly anachronistic, especially when paired with the album version of Saucerful. It sounds like they are using some digital stereophonic delay to make the guitars sound thicker and double-tracked. It's just bizarre. If anything, I'd continue to use the older Malcolm Jones mixes form 1987, which sound pretty great to my ears, and not full of ProTools plugins.

2) "In The Beechwoods" is cool but unfinished. I don't think I could toss it on there and say "Oh it's an instrumental to close Side A!" because the song itself implies a vocal melody and Syd lyric. It's interesting, you can listen to it and just imagine it! And as I mentioned the mixing would stick out like a sore thumb imo

3) "John Latham" is cool but ultimately not something that I'd want to use on an imaginary 2nd Syd Floyd album. I feel it's interesting, but to focus-less to be featured as an album track. I can understand why it's been unreleased for so long. Although a friend from another board I post at had just done a reconstruction and used parts of it in the middle of "Beechwoods" to make a longer "IO"-type of thing. I have to check it out, might be interesting!

4) Personally, I've been really sold on the inclusion of some non-Syd Saucerful songs, particularly "Corporal Clegg" and "Let There Be More Light". If those (as well as "See-Saw") were recorded on Jan 24th-25th, and Syd was simply "not picked up" on the 26th, what does that tell us? If that legendary spontaneous decision was never made, would Syd have added backing vocals and guitar to the tracks the band started without him, and they would have been featured on the second album nonetheless? Remember that they were discussing him as being a non-touring member and they are written to fit in with Syd's songs anyways (and imo I love the songs!). So if I was to revisit the 2nd Syd-Floyd concept, I'd probably include them... but then it's starting to get convoluted from the concept of combining these Floyd albums with similar Barrett solo material, which was what I was most interested in doing in the first place!

Sorry for the long winded answer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.