Pink Floyd in Hi-Res at HDtracks

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MemoInPR, Oct 19, 2021.

1. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

I am in utter shock right now. No build up or anything?

Bring on the shm-sacd series.

scobb and rontoon like this.
  2. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Let's just appreciate the win & enjoy this one, Jerry...AAAAAAATTTTT least for a few hours, until the inevitable comparisons and grumbles start tumbling in, of course!

3. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

Wow. Complete surprise. I am looking forward to hearing the first two Gilmour albums once Qobuz offers them.

mcwlod, hbsbla and Instant Dharma like this.
  4. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

I'd forgotten, the DSotM and WYWH Immersion blu-rays were 24/96, so, these shouldn't have been a surprise to me compared to the SACDs

Merrick likes this.
  5. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Of course they announce these on the same day I plonk out 3K on a new laptop. :realmad:

6. SeaburyNorton

SeaburyNorton Well-Known Member

Until today, I've never had a thought toward replacing my Shine On cds... hmm. Out of the blue is right! o_O

The detailed info on DSOTM & WYWH on HDTRACKS shows:

Mastering Engineer: James Guthrie
    Mastering Engineer: Joel Plante

So it's a safe bet these are the 2011 masters. Can't imagine they were done AGAIN, but it is ten years later. I suppose we'll find out soon enough.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    Billy Infinity, c-eling and rontoon like this.
  7. amershamman

amershamman Forum Resident

What interesting times we live in. I wonder if they will ever find their way onto high res friendly Apple Music?

D-rock and Vinyl Socks like this.
  8. Demolition Man

Demolition Man Forum Resident

Anyone pick up the self titled Gilmour album? How does it sound?

rontoon and art like this.
  9. richard wilberforce

richard wilberforce Forum Resident

There now

D-rock, Billy Infinity and rontoon like this.
  10. JamesLord

JamesLord Forum Resident

Wow - this is going to be expensive!!!!!

11. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I see On an Island is available in Atmos on Apple Music

EDIT: as well as Division Bell and Endless River

12. mcwlod

mcwlod Outside Looking In

I know many have been waiting for Hi-Res PF , I'm sure they gonna sound great and don't wanna spoil the party.

I just wanted to say that after spending years on searching for best sounding versions, buying CD and vinyl reissues, UK originals etc. etc. I came back last week to my old Doug Sax mastered CDs and was really stunned how good they are. Much, much better than 2011 and 2016 reissues (both digital and vinyl) - I can't see then any benefit of getting Hi-Res of Guthrie masters.

quicksrt, Mrmojo and Anonamemouse like this.
  13. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

I’m going back a few years, but I am sure one of the UK HiFi magazines (probably Hi Fi News and Record Review) had an interview circa 2011 with James Guthrie, and he said that when he remastered these albums he did each version directly, i.e. the 96K / 24 bit was done at that rate and the DSD ones done directly to DSD. Even the 48K / 24 bit version found on the Immersion DVDs was done like that rather than conversion from a higher sample rate. Stuck in my mind as it seemed to be a pretty obsessional way of doing things.

Kyhl, oneway23 and rontoon like this.
  14. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Wonderful! Off to try now!

EDIT: Seeing OAI as Dolby Audio rather than Atmos. Listening via iPad Pro 2021, iOS 15.1 release candidate and AirPods Pro. Can hear the surround effect but isn’t as pronounced as some of the better Atmos mixes. Only heard this before on the lounge system via the DTS 5.1 mix on the second DVD of the 2CD/2DVD Gdansk set.

Quick listen to What Do You Want From Me? and the separation between the channels is audible.

Will try and compare the Apple Music Dolby Audio versions with their equivalents on the Gdansk DVD (OAI), Later Years (TDB) and Endless River BluRay when I get home this evening. Absolutely made up to have these on Apple Music for ‘on the go’ surround listening though.

EDIT 2: A Momentary Lapse Of Reason (2019 Remix) is also on Apple Music in Dolby Audio, so likely a 5.1 lossy transcode of the 5.1 lossless mix that was on The Later Years BluRay set. Will be listening to this straight though - the 5.1 2019 mix of Sorrow sounded absolutely cavernous on the BluRay.

D-rock and Billy Infinity like this.
  15. Ulli

Ulli Forum Resident

Wow, mind blown. For years we discuss a possible hi-res release of Animals, with all sorts of unconfirmed rumours and dates, and then they dump their entire discography on us without a hint!
    Judging by the DR numbers of The Wall, the 2011 CD was limited by about 3 dB. I hope the other releases have their full dynamics intact/restored as well.
    They're expensive on Qobuz (with a ridiculous 5.50 EUR difference between 192 kHz and 96 kHz), but I don't think I can resist...

JulesRules, supermd, snkcube and 3 others like this.
  16. jcarr73729

jcarr73729 Forum Resident

I see that 'Continu/ation' still does not appear in 24-bit, and has been absent in hi-res over these past five years.
    Is there a story behind this exclusion, and it's availability limited to the CD?
    Were all the source materials 16-bit?

17. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Was pretty stoked to get the email for this. Talk about a surprise drop! This will go down as a momentous day in audiophile lore*

*assuming these haven’t been botched in some way

18. soka

soka Forum Resident

Animals in all it's glory. From Qobuz:

foobar2000 1.6.7 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2021-10-19 10:24:50
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: Pink Floyd / Animals
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR14 -9.99 dB -30.56 dB 1:25 01-Pigs On The Wing (Part One) [2011 Remastered Version]
    DR14 -1.85 dB -19.99 dB 17:05 02-Dogs (2011 Remastered Version)
    DR13 -4.01 dB -19.70 dB 11:26 03-Pigs (Three Different Ones) [2011 Remastered Version]
    DR12 -1.97 dB -18.60 dB 10:19 04-Sheep (2011 Remastered Version)
    DR13 -10.17 dB -27.90 dB 1:27 05-Pigs On The Wing (Part Two) [2011 Remastered Version]
    Number of tracks: 5
    Official DR value: DR14
    Samplerate: 192000 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 24
    Bitrate: 4836 kbps
    Codec: FLAC
    ================================================================================

And Obscured By Clouds:

foobar2000 1.6.7 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2021-10-19 10:26:10
    Analyzed: Pink Floyd / Obscured By Clouds
    DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR12 -2.26 dB -17.52 dB 3:05 01-Obscured By Clouds (2011 Remastered Version)
    DR12 -2.53 dB -17.91 dB 2:31 02-When You're In (2011 Remastered Version)
    DR13 -3.57 dB -19.84 dB 3:30 03-Burning Bridges (2011 Remastered Version)
    DR11 -3.36 dB -16.32 dB 3:08 04-The Gold It's In The ... (2011 Remastered Version)
    DR13 -4.02 dB -19.62 dB 5:09 05-Wots ... Uh The Deal (2011 Remastered Version)
    DR13 -2.92 dB -19.35 dB 4:18 06-Mudmen (2011 Remastered Version)
    DR13 -1.85 dB -18.58 dB 4:34 07-Childhood's End (2011 Remastered Version)
    DR13 -2.82 dB -18.40 dB 4:17 08-Free Four (2011 Remastered Version)
    DR13 -1.35 dB -19.51 dB 4:08 09-Stay (2011 Remastered Version)
    DR13 -3.59 dB -22.91 dB 5:52 10-Absolutely Curtains (2011 Remastered Version)
    Number of tracks: 10
    Official DR value: DR13
    Samplerate: 192000 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 24
    Bitrate: 4885 kbps
    Codec: FLAC
    ================================================================================

Kyhl, JulesRules, supermd and 6 others like this.
  19. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

I have absolutely no experience with hdtracks. Are the small samples at the website in the actual resolution?

20. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

7Digital looking like the cheapest place in UK.

Animals 24/192 priced at £12.49

paulybauls and Ulli like this.
  21. Sevoflurane

As usual my memory of the interview from the January 2012 Hi Fi News is suspect. Andy Jackson was supplied with 96K / 24 bit material by James Guthrie, and faced with having to downsample it to 48K for the DVD versions found he preferred the sound of the 96K converted back to analogue and then re recorded to 48K compared to a resample version. Can’t find the Guthrie interview.

JulesRules, oneway23 and coffeetime like this.
  22. Ulli

Ulli Forum Resident

Thanks a lot. I just bought Animals 24/192 at 7digital Germany for 15,49 EUR. It's 22,99 EUR at Qobuz.
    They don't have all albums at 7digital yet, though. Waiting for The Wall and Obscured By Clouds...

coffeetime likes this.
  23. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

Can anyone post a specs of any Piper track?

24. plextor

plextor Forum Resident

Wow that is crazy I never thought this would happen. Been waiting a LONG time for high res versions of these albums

Gamer_299 and Billy Infinity like this.
  25. Sevoflurane

Curiosity will probably overwhelm me to the point of getting either the WYWH or DSOTM 96K / 24 bit download and seeing if they are identical to the Immersion ones. Mind you, if the DR figures are identical that’s probably sufficient.