Pink Floyd in Hi-Res at HDtracks

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MemoInPR, Oct 19, 2021.

1. Chrsal

Chrsal Forum Resident

Agree. There is a richness in the vocals that I don’t think I have heard before.

rontoon and ponkine like this.
  2. Godbluffer

Godbluffer Forum Resident

Checking out the Dolby Audio version of TDSOT on Apple Music now, and apart from some parts sounding a bit too loud, really enjoying its spatial presentation!

coffeetime and Mrmojo like this.
  3. Having just listened to A Foot In The Door (24bit 192kHz); it would be a crime not to release TDSOTM and The Wall in 24bit 192kHz.

OK, so the gains are marginal, however, I understand that James Guthrie & Co do each digital transfer at the required resolution from the AAA master tapes, rather than do a 24bit 192kHz and then downsample to 96 and 44.

I believe, though can't confirm, that The Wall was transferred at 24bit 96kHz back in 2011 for a possible release in the Immersion box.

BTW for anyone the difference between 24bit 192kHz and 24bit 96kHz is marginal, especially if one is just a downsample. If they are separate transfers the difference could be slightly wider.

Note: from the comments I have read, that James Guthrie has made, he has a clear preference of working in the analogue domain, and as far as digital - his preferred format is DSD.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
  4. richard wilberforce

richard wilberforce Forum Resident

Knowing these guys they are probably holding stuff back for the next anniversary release"

5. sleepjar

sleepjar Underachiever

Question: How do you know Apple Music is streaming in Hi-Res? I have Apple Music but don't see any indication of this.

6. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

It should say “Hi-Res Lossless” near the play/skip controls. And further than that, you can tap it for specific sample rate.

sleepjar likes this.
  7. Godbluffer

Godbluffer Forum Resident

Have you already turned on lossless under Settings -> Music -> Audio quality?

sleepjar likes this.
  8. sleepjar

sleepjar Underachiever

Thank, I can see it on my phone but not on my desktop.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  9. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

On the top of the Music app on desktop, there should be a wavy icon next to the song title. Tap that for bitrate and sample rate.

10. sleepjar

sleepjar Underachiever

Okay I just did that, thanks!

Godbluffer likes this.
  11. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

1 week left for the 50th anniversary of 'Meddle' ...

Guess we'll be getting a facebook 'Happy 50th anniversary' and that's it

:shake:

hi_watt and Mrmojo like this.
  12. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

At least we got a hi res release of Meddle that sounds great.

13. Mrmojo

Mrmojo Forum Resident

the music in HD is free for Apple subscription users

sleepjar likes this.
  14. Mrmojo

Mrmojo Forum Resident

the original of Momentary as HD is on Apple Music

JediJoker likes this.
  15. Mrmojo

Mrmojo Forum Resident

As anyone worked out how much they will all cost with early years sets. I want all of them in HD sound amazing. I have a month free with Apple been listening a few days Animals, the wall,the final cut.

16. Sis+erRay

Sis+erRay Forum Resident

Why? Because higher number = better sound?

Time in 24/96. Which is obviously sufficient.
    [​IMG]
    Dogs in 24/192. Which is a waste of disk space.
    [​IMG]

17. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Entirely agree. Picked up a pair of AirPods Max yesterday on account of the sheer volume of Atmos/Spatial Audio music I'm listening to - one of the first tracks played was Comfy from Delicate, and was not disappointed!

18. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Atmos is a different mix so this is going to be personal preference, and a matter of how well the Atmos mix was done.

Tim

coffeetime and Billy Infinity like this.
  19. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I may have missed it but with regard to the PF albums has it been established which of these high resolution download files are not the original mix. My own request would be for mono Piper and Saucerful along with the mono singles from the 60s.

20. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Momentary Lapse… is the 2019 remix. The rest appear to be the mixes as remastered in 2011. Piper and Saucerful are the stereo mixes.

Flaming Torch and Billy Infinity like this.
  21. soka

soka Forum Resident

They are aware of the issues and have taken action :) Below their reply to me:

"This is the way Warner has releases the album. Many customers are unsatisfied regards this issue.
    We received new files on Friday evening but need to see what Warner re-delivered. Again the whole delivery is a mess - we’ll need time again to understand the difference of the delivery.
    Once we have uploaded you files, you can trigger a new download. We let you know, once this is ready."

Billy Infinity likes this.
  22. Hawkmoon

Hawkmoon Eternal Champion, Master of the Universe

Is that from higheresaudio.com ?

23. soka

soka Forum Resident

Yes.

24. Hawkmoon

Hawkmoon Eternal Champion, Master of the Universe

Thanks. I bought the MQA of WYWH from them but I’m not sure if it is one of the albums affected by errors or not?

25. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

HighResAudio are good are getting stuff sorted. I remember with the David Bowie Heroes debacle a few years ago they contacted me as soon as they had the fixed file before the Bowie camp made an official announcement

soka likes this.