Pink Floyd in Hi-Res at HDtracks

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MemoInPR, Oct 19, 2021.

1. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I’m waiting for HighResAudio to make them available. They are usually priced very reasonably and I’ve got a feeling they’ve got a voucher code until end of October.

jacek2 likes this.
  2. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I picked it up along with some Floyd titles. Will report back later.

Jerry Horne, Billy Infinity and Ulli like this.
  3. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

The Continuation tracks are pretty poor to begin with, for the most part. This could be the reason.

4. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I’m interested to know if On an Island is better mastering than the CD

JulesRules and ponkine like this.
  5. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

My guess is these are what was used on the LP campaign.
    Already done and paid for.

SeaburyNorton and Billy Infinity like this.
  6. plextor

plextor Forum Resident

I got Piper and the DR is perfect, these are the real deal high res source and no alteration as far as volume pumping or clipping. These are clean and sound very nice, perfect release

owsley, D-rock, supermd and 7 others like this.
  7. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

Great to see the hi-res show up! So far it looks like The Wall in hi-res DR values differ from the 2011/2016 CD despite being labeled as the same master. Also, why the Wall is 24/96 while Animals is 24/192, curious on why the inconsistency?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
  8. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Yeah it seems the only albums not in 24/192 are Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall.

I might buy Relics first considering that hasn’t had a remaster since 96. If it’s the same as what they used for the remastered vinyl it will sound fantastic

D-rock likes this.
  9. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

Pulse includes “One of These Days”!
    HDtracks

Edit: also on Apple Music at 24/192 for streamers!

10. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

"ROLL THE SOUND EFFECTS!!"
    [​IMG]

PS...A Collection Of Great Dance Songs features a 24/192 presentation of represented tracks.
    Everything I have listened to so far has been top-notch. Could be my favorite high-res mass-release to date -- an audio dream come true for this Floyd fan in the age of high-resolution audio (which began when LPs were introduced to the world in '48). Also, a release date on a different day of the week (Tuesday...remember...?).

JulesRules, D-rock, supermd and 3 others like this.
  11. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Must be from the vinyl masters then!

12. BarryStanky

BarryStanky Forum Resident

What an excellent start to my Tuesday, waking up to the HDTracks email notification. I've been waiting for this to happen since I bought in on Neil Young's Pono Kickstarter campaign some 7 years ago which opened the door for me into Hi-Res Digital music. It's going to be an expensive day for me today, but a very joyous and satisfying one.

13. JonasR

JonasR Forum Resident

So you have plenty of disc space to fill :D

14. QuartzSTQ

QuartzSTQ Member

Animals weirldly enough appears to be available as 48 kHz as well, and on HDtracks the 96 kHz version shows up as a separate album, and it doesn't include a booklet. (Otherwise, The Wall and Wish You Were Here are the other ones with booklets avalable, but not Dark Side strangely enough.)

15. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

I’m excited but simply can’t decide where to begin! Funds are limited for me for quite a bit, so I have to pick one very carefully!

Tony Cruse, NunoBento and Jerry Horne like this.
  16. Pappas3278

Pappas3278 Forum Peasant

VERY unexpected good news!

Billy Infinity likes this.
  17. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

Has anyone done an a/b or DR comparison with the 2011 remasters to determine whether these are new remasters?

ponkine and c-eling like this.
  18. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

What I'm waiting for. I believe the LP's were based off the 2011 Discovery's but if they're technically the same I'm probably going to pass.
    I'd like to see a spectrogram, preferably anything before Dark to see if these aren't just up-sampled (AC/DC)
    I doubt it, but just for sh!ts & giggles

Cast Iron Shore likes this.
  19. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Can’t do it right now properly as I am away from home but quick comparison of the Hi Res Qobuz vs. 2011 Animals ALAC CD rip suggests they are from the same master.

Edit: I have 96K / 24 bit rips of DSOTM and WYWH from the Immersion Blu Rays which are 2011 masters so could compare those when I am back.

20. jagwap

jagwap Well-Known Member

Agreed I would like to know if anyone critically compared the 2011 and these to show they are the same?

I was really hoping for a new mastering, as while I am all for hi-res releases, I have not been impressed by the 2011 remasters, particularly Animals, WYWH and The Wall. I prefer the original CD release of Animals, although not great, and the Master Sound WYWH and MFSL The Wall are great.

However I recently found someone who had found 15ips reel to reel copies of a few of the popular Pink Floyd pieces, including the above. These are great!

21. soka

soka Forum Resident

According to Qobuz they are the 2011 remasters in higher resolution. However, if you compare the DR numbers, they differ. I posted the values for Animals on page two. Look up the values for the 2011 red book version on the dr database.
    Same for The Wall.

22. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Relics is labelled as the 1996 remaster as well and I’m pretty confident that won’t be the case.

I haven’t listened to any of these yet but they could be the re-EQ’d versions of the 2011s that were used for the vinyl

23. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Can the DR calculation be affected by any higher frequency content in the higher sample rate / bit depth versions? This is why I am interested to do a direct comparison with the Immersion WYWH and DSOTM.

24. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

The 2011 CD mastering for these titles contained additional limiting/clipping added in the downsampling process. As I understand it, Guthrie and Plante's mastering workflow includes first transferring to hi-res digital (through great sounding analogue EQ & converters), from which these downloads and the 2016 vinyl cuts are presumably sourced. But they add a bit more limiting for the Redbook CD mastering. The classic example is the 2003 SACD of Dark Side which has a different (louder) Redbook layer compared to the same disc's DSD Stereo portion. I think someone already mentioned a difference of about 3 dB extra headroom? That sounds approximately right — you're going to have to turn down the CD by that much to do a level matched comparison between it and the hi res to hear what that extra limiting does

JulesRules, Plan9, Hammer70 and 7 others like this.
  25. soka

soka Forum Resident

Not that much, i would think.
    @aphexj's input sounds right to me.

Sevoflurane and aphexj like this.