Pink Floyd in Hi-Res at HDtracks

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MemoInPR, Oct 19, 2021.

1. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

And you don’t even get the cool box and extras…

Geordiepete and Mrmojo like this.
  2. Uncle Miles

Uncle Miles Wafting in and out of Forum

I went the opposite direction and now I’ve got more samples but less money

Kyhl and Geordiepete like this.
  3. MrBigFan

MrBigFan Forum Resident

I`m a PF noob so was wondering if the A Collection Of Great Dance Songs is the only release to have a proper intro on the Another Brick In The Wall track?
    If not what release has the best sound on this "proper" version of the song?

4. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

As far as I know it is. But although it sounds nice, it's not really a 'proper' intro inasmuch as it was played. As far as I know, it's actually a cleverly made loop of the riff that gets played later in the song. (Though PF played it like that on the AMLOR tour!)

MrBigFan likes this.
  5. MrBigFan

MrBigFan Forum Resident

ok but the fake intro works very well imo :)

6. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

Agreed. If I’m ever throwing Brick 2 into a playlist for shuffling, I’ll always use that version.

JulesRules and BeatleJWOL like this.
  7. Tom Hinde

Tom Hinde Forum Resident

For those that are interested/have Tidal, all of Roger Waters' releases bar The Wall in Berlin are now available in MQA, so presumably it will come out on other services soon as well? I can't check Qobuz or Apple Music and HDTracks doesn't seem to have anything above 48kHz. To clarify, this is new to within I'd say a month (note that a lot if not all of the Floyd albums were available in MQA as far as I could tell for a few months prior to this 'official' release). All of Nick Mason's releases are also all available as MQA, although once again I haven't checked them anywhere, and I don't know if that's news.

8. Mrmojo

Mrmojo Forum Resident

they will release all these in physical form with postcards

9. RadioClash

RadioClash Senior Member

Why do you speak for him? :confused:

On second thought, don’t answer that. :laugh:

10. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

Yeah, great start for you here on this forum.
    Stick to the subject, which is hi-res PF. Thanks!

11. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

I think I’m going the comp route and will make my own with some OBC and Meddle songs. I’ve just spent too much already on different versions. If my jaw drops by these hi-res songs, I’ll reconsider. I probably will go for the Animals though, as it’s getting great reviews, and could possibly be the new remix/remaster.

12. RadioClash

RadioClash Senior Member

13. nikosvault

nikosvault Forum Resident

Were the 2011 remasters done in PCM or DSD?

14. nikosvault

nikosvault Forum Resident

I might need to retire my 50DP

I remember The Wall Immersion Box CD being louder than this 192/24.

It's excellent.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
  15. Chauncey

Chauncey Forum Resident

There are a couple of promotional sampler CDs that have this version of Another Brick In The Wall:

Pink Floyd – Sampler (2011, CD)
    Pink Floyd - Selected Tracks From 'Shine On'

The 2011 “Sampler” CD version is great if you like the 2011 mastering of “The Wall”.

MrBigFan and JulesRules like this.
  16. Chrsal

Chrsal Forum Resident

Really happy with Animals and Obscured. How is More , Saucer and About Face?

SeaburyNorton likes this.
  17. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

More and Saucerful are excellent.

18. SeaburyNorton

SeaburyNorton Well-Known Member

This was my challenge through many DSOTM CDs. Every one except the Doug Sax version from the Shine On box felt really shrill (Us & Them) at times and some even had bad clipping. Some masterings had a complete lack of bottom end.

This new 24/96 is really rich and easy on the ears.

rontoon, supermd and rockclassics like this.
  19. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

So, pretty much echoing everyone else here. Like many of us I own, have owned, heard, bought, sold and rebought the Floyd catalog throughout the years, and overall Pink Floyd are one of those rare bands where most every digital version is pretty darned good, and everyone has their favorites.

Having said that…for some reason, these are pretty special -especially Meddle, More and The Final Cut. Animals is sublime and tops then all. Wish You Were Here, Dark Side and The Wall have always been stellar, and are maybe marginally better here, but I already ripped my DSOTM bluRay and have the AP WYWH, and those are no slouches. I am still deciding on the rest. I have never noticed how disorienting Saucer was to listen to in headphones.

All this overt gushing to say that these are hi-res releases done right. No, bells, no fanfare, no gimmicks. Just great music.

Kyhl, Chauncey, Tyler and 9 others like this.
  20. Demolition Man

Demolition Man Forum Resident

The hi-res version of "Animals" is the 2011 remaster but less compressed/limited. To my ears it has a bit more breathability dynamically. Sounds great. Can't wait for the remix coming out hopefully next year.

I do hope the mono version for "Piper" and "Saucerful" will eventually get released at least at 24/96. I would assume given the mono "Saucerful" did get released on vinyl on RSD a few years back that a master is ready. We shall see.

Billy Infinity and MikeManaic61 like this.
  21. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

Is the cool box for that salmon in your profile photo?

22. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Wouldn’t it be great if more record company people read this thread and saw all the positive word about this? All artists should do this.

23. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

24. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Dolby Atmos and Dolby Audio 5.1 music on Apple Music will attempt to simulate multichannel sound when used with headphones on a compatible iOS, Mac or Android device. It will also output Dolby Atmos MAT or decoded multichannel sound for external amplification when used with an Apple TV.

IOS devices will decode up to 24bit 48KHz stereo lossless material internally. If you want to make use of 24bit 96 or 192 KHz hi-res music on Apple Music, you’ll need an external DAC to plug into your iOS device (not sure how many DACs will work with an iPod Touch).

Spatial Audio is how iOS handles multichannel audio on headphones. Think of Dolby Atmos & Dolby Audio 5.1 as the ‘input’ format and Spatial Audio as the ‘output’ format.

Dolby Atmos/Dolby Audio 5.1 and hi-res lossless stereo are wholly seperate from one another on Apple Music. A given album/track can be available in both, one one or neither of the two formats.

Not sure if the iPod Touch supports Dolby Atmos or not. To check, be sure your iPod Touch is on iOS 14 or later, open up Settings > Music. If there is a settings catagory for Dolby Atmos under the Audio section, you’re good to go.

If so, go into the Dolby Atmos catagory and set Always On (this will force playback of Atmos on non-AirPods headsets, including your Bose in-ear earbuds). You won’t get the dynamic headtracking feature as that is exclusive to the Airpods line, but you will get the multichannel audio effect on Dolby Atmos and Dolby Audio 5.1 music on Apple Music.

25. RobCooper

RobCooper Cobwebs & Strange

So I got About Face, which is one of my favourite solo albums. I checked though and despite the 192khz, it appears to be a digital source. Would this album have been recorded to analog?

[​IMG]