Pink Floyd - Making sense of the Zabriskie Point sessions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by christian42, Feb 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

That Birmingham version (2/11/70) is one of my very favorite moments in Floyd history.

2. anth67

Intriguing, I'd never associated the "piano" Love Scene (version 4 (take 1)" with the "vibes" Love Scene ("Take 2") before. Always thought the latter its own thing. But I think you're on to something!

In fact, could the vibes track heard in Love Scene 4 (take 1) be the same performance heard isolated and full-length on Love Scene (Take 2)? In other words, is the latter merely the full-length vibes track that complements the piano on the former?

The unofficial version of Love Scene 4 (take 1) (piano with vibes) is full-length at 6:44, to the official soundtrack's 6:46. Same piano take there. Love Scene (Take 2) (vibes only) is 6:40. Hmm....

I admit, I haven't attempted to apply my ears to this question yet.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    Chrome_Head likes this.
  3. christian42

christian42 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'll have to reciprocate and say that YOU might be on to something there. :)

I'm not particularly good at listening to different tracks and A/B comparing them, so I'll leave it up to someone else to check whether you are right or wrong, though. To be honest, the information that version 4 and version 5 are the same comes from the A Total Zabriskie Point of View bootleg. But the person(s) who wrote the accompanying booklet seems very knowledgeable so I'm willing to trust them. They do sound quite similar, and now the box set seems to agree as well, calling them take 1 and take 2...

As for the Povey book you recommended, I'll second the recommendation, though it has to be said it gets skimpier on valuable information from the late 70s on. I guess because the later album sessions were less well documented.

moodyxadi and Chrome_Head like this.
  4. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

I don't remember what title they gave it, but the version of Careful With That Axe, Eugene
    which is in the key of major instead of minor......so weird but somehow satisfying

andrewskyDE, anth67 and Hattipper like this.
  5. christian42

That would be "Explosion", IIRC.

Beeb Fader and Hattipper like this.
  6. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

Also notice, "Explosion" evolved into the musical portions of "Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast."

andrewskyDE, Hattipper and crozcat like this.
  7. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

... what a mess....

Jackie P likes this.
  8. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Maybe someone can answer this, and apologies if it's already been answered as I haven't read through the whole thread yet.

Long, long time ago I had an MP3 that was just titled (erroneously, no doubt) "Zabriskie Point" by Pink Floyd, and it was a lovely 4 or 5 minute tune of just Rick solo at the piano. Definitely some of his best playing IMO that I've heard.

Working my way through the Early Years box, I heard that there is a snippet of this titled "Love Scene - Take 1". It must be another take, or cut down, because while it sounds a lot like that old MP3, it is way shorter at 2m 16 sec.

Anyone know where the mystery track I'm talking about was released, and what it's called?

9. christian42

Well, it sounds like it should be the Love Scene - Version 4 that we discussed just earlier here. It's been officially released on the expanded soundtrack of the film.

vanhooserd and albertop like this.
  10. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Yep, that's it. Much thanks. Was very disappointed that this version wasn't included on The Early Years.

11. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that the material that was released earlier on the soundtrack was unavailable for Floyd to use on The Early Years. Something to do with rights. When the expanded soundtrack was released in '97, Floyd had released nothing from the archives, that was their policy. They had no control over that 2cd IIRC.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  12. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Am I right in thinking that the extra stuff on the expanded soundtrack was from vintage mixes? Perhaps the group surrendered some multis back in early ‘70 and the Early Years stuff is all from multis the band kept.

anth67 likes this.
  13. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I made sense of it by making myself this comp of my preferred tracks:

[​IMG]

14. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I've given up making sense of the Zabriskie sessions... I just listen to the multiple bits and pieces I have all over the place.

But I will say that I absolutely love Floyd's instrumental Zabriskie work... there is a feeling to it I have not found duplicated anywhere else... within or without their catalogue (although Obscured by Clouds comes close at times).

Does anybody have any other recommendations for other music that is in the same universe? I have a ton of instrumental stuff, but nothing quite gets this feel... at least for me....

15. anth67

When You're In, for example.

Outside The Wall and lucan_g like this.
  16. Outside The Wall

Outside The Wall Forum Resident

It was good to see that Nick Mason's Saucerful Of Secrets included "Obscured By Clouds/When You're In" in the set-list at the recent gigs, but, alas no Zabriskie Point material was played.

17. anth67

Wow, forgot to check back on the set lists for those!....fantastic list. Even if, alas, no Zabriskie (nor Rick) songs. "Crumbling Land" would've been cool.

18. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

I just realised that apart from the tracks on Cre/ation 2cd I don’t have any Zabriskie Point stuff. I need to fix this. I’ve been a Floyd fan for 30 years and somehow these have been a black hole.

19. Outside The Wall

Recommended, too, are recordings of the Zabriskie Point tracks live, if you can track them down.

20. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

I’ve just ordered the 2CD ZP soundtrack. Will be interesting to explore theee Floyd Tracks.

moodyxadi likes this.
  21. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Intersting thread. Also love the Garcia tracks - his only truly solo work other than once concert.

But the only good thing I can say about the film is it is less objectionable than its director.

vanhooserd likes this.
  22. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

You're in for a treat. It's a shame no-one's thought to issue a Floyd-only LP of the seven songs over those two CDs. It'd be pretty far out - four instrumentals, two vocal songs and an instrumental sound collage.

23. I really need to get that 2CD ZP soundtrack myself. I had a single-disc version probably 20+ years ago, but must have let it go (surely in the interest of space issues with my collection). But now that I have the Early Years box, I really feel like I should get the whole thing now, finally. If for no other reason, than I'd completely forgotten about this gem (which I'm sure I heard a few times somewhere, back in the day)...

vanhooserd and Outside The Wall like this.
  24. Outside The Wall

Yes, you'd have thought that the record company that owns the rights to those Pink Floyd tracks would have seen the potential of a Pink Floyd only album, especially after the release of the Early Years Box Set. I think that the last release of the 2-CD ZP multi-artist soundtrack album was in 2010 by Sony - some while ago.

25. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Of course it's a mess, this is just the four of them dicking around in the studio trying to write a couple of songs and some incidental music for a director who was incredibly picky. Most of this stuff was never intended to be heard, much less cataloged.

Which is not to say I don't appreciate the effort! :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.