Pink Floyd - Momentary Lapse Of Reason: Original or Remix?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tkl7, Sep 24, 2020.

1. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Is this supported by sources? I thought they collaborated on the music.
    Not saying it doesn't matter, but it's interesting nonetheless. I mean there are 14 tracks on the album - simply sharing writing credits with Pat Leonard and Jeff Beck on this one track would not have impacted his earnings from the album that much?

Since this is a thread about AMLOR, it reinforces something David and Nick said around the time of its release:

Creem: Roger said in Creem that you guys would not write and he had to do all the writing - and then you got angry because he did all the writing. What's your side of the story?

DG: Roger wanted to do all the writing, he *wanted* to take over the whole thing. He would engineer moments to try and insure that no one else got any writing. Certainly on The Final Cut, he engineered a situation where no one else could do any writing.

NM: That's absolutely true, but this album (Momentary Lapse) is, to some extent, a vindication that the writing was not historically all Roger. The Final Cut was virtually all Roger, but even that was not *all* Roger. But The Wall and the stuff before that, you can hear how much of Dave there is. I'd have to say, no, Roger didn't do all the writing.

Yes, he wrote all the lyrics, but he didn't do all the music writing by any manner or means. That's one of the things that's been infuriating....Roger attempting to take credit for everything. Fine if he wants to take credit for a lot of it, but he's trying to say he did everything, and that's not how it worked.

That's not how life is and not how a band runs and it's certainly not how a band does good work. A band does good work because there is input from everyone. It may be that one person never does anything except say 'I like that', but that still can be important in terms of making things better.

DG: Roger conducted a long and deliberate campaign to try and insure that he did all the writing. For a long time he effectively attempted to demoralize everyone else around him, for some strange reason of his own. I don't think it worked - the more it became all Roger, the less really interesting it became. The Wall album was not a Roger Waters solo album, no matter what anyone thinks. It was a year of very hard work by Roger and all of us, turning a good idea that can only be described as a pig's ear, into a silk purse.

Another bit, one that's actually quite funny... about playing with quadraphonic sound:

Creem: You were doing it from the beginning, weren't you?

NM: Yes, we started in '67.

DG: Before I joined the band. You know, I invented it.

NM: He also invented the wheel and wrote all the material for the Beatles.

:laugh:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    vallilalainen, DrGoon and NunoBento like this.
  2. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

Roger has a pretty big ego. He's used to getting his own way, and I've heard him interviewed a couple of times where he's quick to show that ego and a high sense of his own importance and cleverness. There's little humility in him. Another way of looking at it is "I chose those guys because I know they're good, and I'm paying them to do the work, so I'm taking the credit."

I know of a keyboard player / programmer who worked on a New Order album, and who was paid more so he didn't make any writing claims on any songs. Might be the same story here.

MikeManaic61 and JulesRules like this.
  3. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

I've enjoyed lots of remixes of classic albums in recent years...but this one fails miserably.

Uneven as hell; almost amateur. Rick's cranked, Nick sounds like he's laying down a demo guide track from 1977 and Dave's in the basement.

sound chaser and Billy Infinity like this.
  4. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

Just a thought. In an online article Pink Floyd’s ‘A Momentary Lapse Of Reason’ Gets An Update Three Decades Later came this quote from Pink Floyd engineer Andy Jackson:

“We’d been intending to get Rick into the studio [for the remix, prior to his passing in 2008],” Jackson says. “We had lots of recordings of the Momentary Lapse tour, and I combed through them for Rick’s playing. I think it was actually quite serendipitous to do that, because Rick was always at his best when he was ‘off the leash,’ rather than with the structure of studio recording.”

Okay. And if the alternate Gilmore vocal to On The Turning Away was also lifted from a live show:

“What hasn’t changed is Gilmour’s soaring guitar on this revision, as indicated by the standout tracks “Learning to Fly” and “Sorrow.” Yet there was a do-over that he did on the track “On the Turning Away” as it now features an alternate lead vocal from him. “He’d always felt that he didn’t sing it as his best,” Jackson says. “So again we pulled it off in a live recording, which by then he had ‘warmed up’ by about 100 shows.””

why not instead put together the album from the best live performances for each song? Make it A Momentary Lapse Of Reason Live. Mix the crowds low or mix them out all together...

Roger Gilmour, Hummus, Carlox and 2 others like this.
  5. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident

My 2016 reissue vinyl of the original mix of AMLOR came today and I just played it front to back and was shocked at how non-80’s it actually sounds. Yeah. It’s clearly not exactly Animals but it’s also not the gated 80’s hellscape I was bracing for . Pleasantly surprised. Not sure exactly what they did in the remastering though.

Hummus, Derek Slazenger and fishcane like this.
  6. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

The new Delicate Sound of Thunder basically fulfills that function, even if the songs aren't in original order.
    Analog remastering chain, I guess... and the drums were an analog recording on the original mix anyway.

Geordiepete and erikdavid5000 like this.
  7. Not sure if they are the best performances, however the 23 track Delicate Sound of Thunder (2019) does include all 11 tracks from AMLOR. See my earlier message on the thread, extract below.

Geordiepete, JulesRules and btomarra like this.
  8. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

You think Roger wasn't present during that jam? That he played no part in any aspect of the composition or the 'numerous further additions'? When people work as solo artists it is completely different to a band environment. There will often be input from those people that they work with or hire to play instruments or produce. It could never be any other way. You think people like Dylan, Springsteen, Young and so on wrote every single aspect of every song that bares solely their name? That the musicians and producers surrounding them have never had any creative input whatsoever, never came up with an idea that was accepted by the boss man and was used in a song and album baring solely his or her name? It happens all the time and unless you can literally play every instrument in the studio and have no need of outside help, it always will do. Adding the voice is not just part of the composition, it is the core of the composition. It matters not that it is not Roger singing it, no more than it matters that he is not playing guitar on it or any other track for that matter. If things were created and added under his direction and/or the track was created and finished as per his vision, then it is his track. The spoken word bits you mention on Dark Side are a case in point - do you think Gerry O'Driscoll and Roger Manifold deserve songwriting credit for their vital contributions? Dick Parry for his sax solos in Money and Us and Them?

:thumbsup:

9. btomarra

Well shame on me for not reading this thread well enough so I missed your post. Excellent job!!!

10. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Thanks for that answer. I have never heard the remix because I don't want to buy the big box,

I can't be bothered to deal with downloads or streaming but if this ever comes out on CD I will most certainly buy it (I love this album)....

11. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

(I can't get multi-quotes to work but btomarra was referring to this:
    CDS AudioFiles said:
    Not sure if they are the best performances, however the 23 track Delicate Sound of Thunder (2019) does include all 11 tracks from AMLOR. See my earlier message on the thread, extract below.)

I did not know there was a 2019 re-release with bonus tracks (or if I did I somehow 4got, or decided not to buy it for some unknown reason). Will have to investigate that...would love to have a full AMLOR live.

JulesRules likes this.
  12. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

(Sorry if there already is another thread on Delicate Sound of Thunder re-release but since it is mentioned in this one I'd like to ask..)

Does anyone know what the difference is between these two CD versions on sale at Amazon?

This one is $14.72 & says this:
    https://www.amazon.com/Delicate-Sound-Thunder-Restored-Re-edited/dp/B08JF5MBN1/

Delicate Sound Of Thunder - Restored, Re-edited, Remixed clean

But this one is $22.05 and although looks exactly the same has this description:
    https://www.amazon.com/Delicate-Sound-Thunder-2019-Remix/dp/B08JRD62PW/

Delicate Sound of Thunder (2019 Remix) [Live]
    Live Album

I am totally confused. Are there actually two DIFFERENT remixes/restorations/re-edits or whatever they are???

I have no interest in a DVD or blu-ray btw, just want to get this on CD, but want to get whatever is most complete.

13. If you get any version of the 2CD version of Delicate Sound of Thunder released in November 2020 it will give you all 23 tracks, which includes all 11 AMLOR tracks.

There is only ONE audio version although it comes in various formats, all the Audio only versions, CD, Download or Triple LP have 23 tracks.

slipkid likes this.
  14. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Thx.

Very weird that Amazon has 2 listings for the same thing, one like 30-40% off the price of the other. Both using same picture but each having different titles and descriptions. The one for $14.62 does not have a tracklist but shows it as 2 discs with running time of 2 hours 21 minutes. That one is from company called Legacy with "first available" date as "September 24, 2020". The more expensive one says it is from company called "PLG UK Catalog" with date one day earlier. That one has a tracklist though.

I'm going to order the cheaper one and keep my fingers crossed it is the whole 23 track release.

15. I would suspect Legacy is the US Columbia release and PLG is the UK EMI (Parlophone Label Group) version. Both have the same contents.

slipkid likes this.
  16. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

This is interesting - I just assumed he-co-wrote it with Gilmour. This got me thinking...
    So how about 'Learning to Fly', 'The Dogs of War' and 'On the Turning Away'... I always thought Anthony Moore provided only lyrics for AMLOR, but maybe he had a hand in co-writing the music as well?
    After all, he did co-write the music for 'Calling' on The Endless River, and is a respected composer in his own right, and with his former band Slapp Happy.

17. btomarra

Just picked this up. I never did own the original cd release. I have to tell you, I love it!!!!

slipkid and fishcane like this.
  18. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

For the life of me I have no idea how I missed hearing about this re-release. I love this live album as well. Back in the day I even bought several CD singles from it with bonus tracks not on the double CD and always wondered if they had more tracks, or why those single bonus tracks weren't on the live album to being with. To get the whole thing now is awesome. If not for this thread & the comments I might have never known!

19. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I have no issue with the original.

I like the remix well enough, I only listen to it for the 5.1.
    I was slightly disappointed that the original didn't get a 5.1

NunoBento and btomarra like this.
  20. Gus Tomato

Gus Tomato Stop dreamin’ and start drivin’ Stevie!

What singles were released? Did a quick search online and saw a couple of singles from AMLOR had live b-sides but I didn’t see anything directly released from DSOT. (Could be a nice option to add tracks to the original cd on my iTunes).

21. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

both links provided show track listings. The cheaper one lists only one disc worth of songs; the more expensive lists two. The single disc one has appears to have some tracks from both of the expensive one’s discs.

22. btomarra

What I love is that the entire second side of AMLOR is played straight through.

23. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Weird. I'm not seeing that. Don't see a tracklist for the cheaper one. And it says it is 2 discs plus has the exact same picture of the set showing 2 discs as the other version (?).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08JF5MBN1

Product details
    • Product Dimensions : 5.4 x 4.9 x 0.2 inches; 3.2 Ounces
    • Manufacturer : Legacy
    • Original Release Date : 2020
    • Run time : 2 hours and 21 minutes
    • Date First Available : September 24, 2020
    • Label : Legacy
    • ASIN : B08JF5MBN1
    • Number of discs : 2
    It actually went down in price a couple cents since yesterday as well.

If they send me a 1 disc version then I will complain and point out that the listing above clearly states "2 discs" and shows a photo of such, which matches their other listing of the UK import version.

24. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Ah, you are right. I have some live Floyd singles from back then, but looking at them now they came from AMLOR not the live album which was what I was misremembering....

On the Turning Away / Run Like Hell (live) / On the Turning Away (live)

One Slip / Terminal Frost / Dogs of War (live)

Gus Tomato likes this.
  25. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Wait it didn't go down in price - it went up (4 cents). Woo-hoo!! I saved 4 cents!!!!

btomarra likes this.