Pink Floyd - PULSE rereleased on vinyl - official

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mestreech, Mar 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

amazon uk : it gives 104 eu with present conversion rate
    amazon france is 110 eu
    amazon us gives 104 eu
    i ll eventually switch to amazon uk ...

but i cancelled the us and ordered from France : i'll receive it earlier

btw thanks for the info :)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    Chellovek likes this.
  2. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

All Analog Im pretty sure.

3. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

When Pulse was recorded (video)... was it not recorded in a way that Blu-Ray would improve? Just curious. I have the DVD... but have always wondered...

The Revealer likes this.
  4. The Revealer

The Revealer Forum Status: Paused Indefinitely

I'm also interested in why a Blu-Ray release would be so dissatisfying. The Grateful Dead put out vault releases with disclaimers about the quality. Lower people's expectations on purpose and do your best. I watch my Pulse DVD from my hard drive with JRiver to a 1080p display (42") and it really looks fine for what it is. How is this not possible to even mildly upscale. No one should expect this to be on par with moder releases.

James Bennett likes this.
  5. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I think a Pulse blu ray would sound better but it wasn't shot with film capable to really upgrade the picture (at least that is my understanding). I believe I saw a comment from Gilmour that he did regret the choice to record the video cheaply. Unfortunately what a horrible penny pinching mistake for such an incredible concert. I actually rarely watch the DVD because the picture is so grainy and also 4:3 aspect ratio.

lucan_g likes this.
  6. The Revealer

I would buy an Audio only blu-ray in a heartbeat.

Opeth likes this.
  7. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Amazon pulled the link to this, they had it listed for 17.99 pre-order the other day, now I can't find it. Did anyone order it for that price?

Hattipper likes this.
  8. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Wish I did, Damn !

Jam757 likes this.
  9. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

I’m sure one of Queen’s 70s concerts has been issued on BluRay with a hi-res lossless soundtrack but with SD visuals. Would love for PULSE to be reissued in that manner on BluRay.

10. John D.

John D. Senior Member

My pre-order is still active for $17.98

Hattipper likes this.
  11. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Cool, I imagine it will be around $20-23 when released anyway but good thinking jumping on it at $17.98. I have no idea why I didn't. On a side note I see Pulse vinyl on Popmarket for around $86 but unsure of shipping cost.

12. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Could you explain to a somewhat digitally challenged person who has no idea about the format how this works. Do I need an Oppo player for playback? I have a Sony bluray player but its hooked up to a home theater with a projector so I can't turn the projector on simply for blu ray audio playback as it would not make sense.

13. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

It’s likely going to happen, I would say. But like you said it would have to have 720p or whatever the native digital resolution was on a sticker, touting the high resolution soundtrack. There could be lots of extras too, including Soundscapes.

The Revealer likes this.
  14. The Revealer

You can play blu ray audio from any blu ray player. To get the full resolution - your reason for buying it on blu ray to begin with - you need to be able to run HDMI to your amp, or have another way of outputting a fully decoded signal to an amplifier. For example, I use a pc for playback and the output is usually a DTS or Dolby surround signal. The PC blu ray software does the work of decoding the signal, and I feed said signal out to my amplifier's analog inputs. My way is a bit complicated but a lot cheaper as I built up this capacity over time. If your only way to hear your blu ray audio is with the projector on, then I can't offer a way around this because that's not something I've had experience with. I hope any of this was helpful.

15. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Pulse was shot on SD video so there is limited picture quality improvement to be obtained over the existing DVD. I’d like a BD with the audio on, though, as the DVD only has a lossy Dolby Digital soundtrack. Was Pulse released on Laserdisc? I bet if it was it will have had a PCM stereo soundtrack of better quality than the DVD.

Delicate Sound of Thunder was filmed on 16mm film IIRC, so with a bit of effort could make an excellent Blu Ray. Some of the earlier Queen live stuff was filmed and looks fantastic when broadcast in HD (the Montreal live release is out in HD).

There’s a whole generation of concert videos from the 1980s and 1990s that are forever destined to look crappy because they were shot on video rather than film.

longaway, Derek Slazenger and Jam757 like this.
  16. ggg71

ggg71 Forum Resident

I ordered it. It'll be interesting if it gets cancelled! I'm guessing a new link will be up in a day or two.

Jam757 likes this.
  17. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Yes, thanks very much for the info, very helpful. I think for me to easily enjoy blu ray audio playback I would need to upgrade to an Oppo type player (so video would not be needed). The main problem being if I put a blu ray audio in my player I don't think I can simply press play and have it work. Truthfully I'm intrigued by the format but play vinyl 90% of the time. Now a blu ray audio player in my car would be incredible.

18. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

They better not cancel. I don’t think Amazon quite understands that my getting a replacement/clean copy of my much abused “Relics” is a matter of life and death.

19. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Queen at the Rainbow '74 and the Freddie Tribute were both issued as SD blu-rays, as have a couple of Stones 'From The Vault' releases and a Dio show from '93. All worth having...the upscaled video is still better than what I used to see on SD DVD's, for whatever that's worth.

20. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I did. Probably wouldn’t have if it had been $22 or whatever.

I suspect Amazon will honor that price since it’s not that much less than what price it will likely be when it resurfaces. But maybe this is just wishful thinking...

21. petercl

petercl Forum Resident

The vinyl is $85 on Amazon USA right now. I also got $70 credit by getting an Amazon credit card, so it cost me around $20 after taxes.

seaisletim, Kevin j and Jam757 like this.
  22. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

The OP assumed that Grundman cutting it automatically means that they are cutting it from an analog tape.

23. Purplefowler

Purplefowler Forum Resident

Yes it was released on laserdisc. I managed to pick up a copy last year for £20 from a collection to kick start my own collection.

24. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I'm on the fence on this one. I'm not a PF completist, and it's not getting overwhelming love here as a must listen.

I have the DVD of Gilmour live and it's spectacular.

Live albums CAN be great, depending on the performance and the group.

But this one?? Both AllMusic and the original NY Times review when it came out give it a low rating.

25. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

One good thing about this thread is it caused me to play my CDs for the first time in quite a while.

High Hopes = as Floyd as post-waters Floyd ever got.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.