Pink Floyd: Remasters 1994 versus 2011

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Maidenpriest, Oct 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grandegi

grandegi Blind test maniac

2. grandegi

I think you got the old European mastering. Both albums were remastered by Doug Sax in 1994. The European CDs from 1994 have the same mastering as yours, which is considered to be inferior, whilst the American CDs from 1994 have the Sax mastering. In my opinion, the Sax mastering of DSOTM is great (better than the 2011, second only to the famous Black Triangle). Speaking of WYWH, the Sax is not convincing to me, I bought an early American pressing (pretty cheap), which has a smoother and more balanced sound to my ears.

John Grimes likes this.
  3. So is there an "early American mastering" different to the "early UK mastering" that I have and better sounding? This seems a bit odd to me. Pink FLoyd is a British band with their tapes held in the UK. The albums were re-mastered here from the original tapes. How come a US mastering is a) different and b) better sounding?

If the Sax remaster of WYWH is inferior to an "early US pressing" then how does it stack up to the "early UK pressing"? Yours confused to the point where my instincts tell me to hold fire and stick with what I've already got.

4. grandegi

No problem, your choice. If you want to know more, perform a search in the archive and you'll find a lot of information about Pink Floyd CD releases (and mastering). Good luck.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  5. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

Bump - so I own the 2011 remaster - is the 1994 worth picking up for £3? Different enough to warrant the effort?

6. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I like the 1994's far better than the 2011's; but apparently, based on the poll, I don't know what I am talking about.

7. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

^^^ I wonder if the results of the poll would be the same today. I can think of at least 2 cases where people here have gone gung ho over new remasters, to later change their minds back to tried and true.

I like earlier CDs for most of their stuff anyway. :p

:D

Billy Infinity and Dave like this.
  8. Dr. Mudd

Dr. Mudd Audient

9. 2021's :D

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  10. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

I have DSOTM and WYWH in the '80s CDP7, 1994 & 2011 remasters. I Love the CDP7s AND the 1994s, but I find the 2011s strangely uninvolving, particularly WYWH. The only copy I have of 'The Wall' (on CD, anyway) is from the 1994 remasters and that does me absolutely fine. Just not blown away by the 2011s, really.

11. marcan

marcan New Member

2011 is good. But I carefully compare Meddle 2011 with the MSFL and the latter is better for me.

12. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

I have the EMI Swindon "Shine On" box and never seen (or should I say heard) the need to try any other masters so couldn't vote.

13. marcan

marcan New Member

Same as Meddle, Atom Heart Mother msfl is better than 2011 for me.
    AHM 2011 is darkish, less dynamic and there is a slight difference in the stereo (2011 is a bit off center to the right).

14. YouKnowEyeKnow

YouKnowEyeKnow Forum Resident

2011 remasters for me.

15. SKean

SKean Forum Resident

I've got the WYWH 1980s CBS edition, the 1992 Shine On box set edition, the Mastersound gold edition, the Japanese 2001 (I think)
    mini LP edition, the AS hybrid SACD, and because of the choice by someone earlier in this thread, just recieved the 2011 redbook CD
    remaster, and do agree that the latter 2011 redbook is really quite good. Both of the stereo layers on the SACD contain a lot of tape
    hiss / noise while the 5.1 sounds best due to it obviously coming freshly from the (24 track?) multi tracks, but this 2011 has a clarity
    that's not avail in the other editions, really nice sounding minus the somewhat brighter earlier editions. Not a bad $10 purchase from
    Amazon.com a few days ago with 2 day delivery..

16. I suspect if the Sax remasters were the "newest" the poll results would be reversed.

17. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

What about the Kevin Gray DSOTM?

18. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

Pink Floyd really is the band with the most consistent remasters. Can't really go wrong with any of them, as far as I know.

andrewskyDE, SteveS1 and krlpuretone like this.
  19. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

I don't think there are absolutes in PF masterings; different systems + different ears = different preferences.

JeffMo and rockclassics like this.
  20. SteveS1

SteveS1 Forum Resident

That's the feeling I get. You struggle to find many threads or polls on these where there isn't a fair spread of opinion.

21. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :) Thread Starter

Totally Agree !!

22. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

Don't get me wrong (especially if anyone is thinking of trying any of the 2011s), but compared to (particularly) the CDP7s, they just don't 'reel me in' for want of a better expression. If someone only has the 2011s, I'm sure they'd be happy with them, but I find the sound of the CDP7s almost tactile. Sorry about the third-rate 'criticspeak', but it's the best way I can think of to put it.

Maidenpriest likes this.
  23. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I only have the 94's so I picked those.

24. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :) Thread Starter

The Packaging is terrible on the 2011's as well !!

Holy Diver likes this.
  25. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Thanks. Killer avatar!

Maidenpriest likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.