Pink Floyd remixing "The Wall"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BGLeduc, Mar 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BGLeduc

BGLeduc Senior Member Thread Starter

Saw this linked over at Stereophile forum:

http://www.gbp-studio-acoustics.com/

Heer is the relevant text:

Pink Floyd" is working with Producer "James Guthrie" on a new re-mix and master of "The Wall" using the original Stephens 821B Tape Deck from Glenn Brown Productions to create the most authentic masters possible. The project will be synchronized using two machines and transfered from the original 2 inch masters on GBP Studios Stephens 821B using the original MagLink Synchronizer. (tech assistance by "Charlie Bolois" - Vertigo Recording Services Los Angeles).

As I commented at Stereophile, I find it interesting that what is largely a Roger vehicle would be remixed w/o his involvement. Or IS Roger involved?

Brian

St. Troy likes this.
  2. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

James does the mixes then brings them to Roger and the rest of the members for input and approval.

3. BGLeduc

BGLeduc Senior Member Thread Starter

Of course...makes perfect sense. A big "duhhh" on my part. ;)

Personally though, unless they were going to do a hi-rez 5.1, I am not sure what good could come of this. My LP and original CD of The Wall sound pretty damn good to my ears.

Brian

4. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I could see them doing a 5.1 of that album, but a totally new stereo remix would seem odd being that the original mixes are so good.

5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

And, I wonder why they are remixing it. It's great the way it is, unless they are trying to rewrite history.

6. TheHypnoToad

TheHypnoToad Senior Member

Crossing fingers that this means that this means a high res version will be appearing.

7. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

What a great news! :righton:

I'd love to hear that
    I really hope it will include all those 20+ min cut at the last minute before pressing the LP, like What Shall We Do Now, the extra guitar solo at the end of Comfortably Numb, the piano intro on Thin Ice, etc, etc

THAT I'd love to hear :wave:

... and the long-time awaited Wall Live 1980-1981 DVD

St. Troy likes this.
  8. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

Another 5.1 mix waiting for a format to be published? (see Wish You Were Here)

9. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Yes Grant, rewriting history is always the motive.

10. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I understand Mick Taylor's been brought in to overdub some guitar parts. :)

11. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

But it might be just a way for Roger trick Dave into working with him again?

:laugh:

12. Agreed.

13. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

Who is Pink Floyd these days...

14. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Floyd wonders "Should I take a little off the top?"

Attached Files:

St. Troy likes this.
  15. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

In the grand scheme of things I would think they could use the time to do more pressing things besides fooling around with an album that already sounds great. I mean the concensus on this forum of VERY finicky people is that the Floyd catalog sounds just fine.
    How about official live releases of the BBC material or other unreleased live shows. A live Animals show from '77 would suit me just fine. :)

St. Troy likes this.
  16. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I am 100% not the least bit interested in a new 2ch mix of The Wall, no matter who is involved. I love it the way it is.

A hi-rez surround mix on the other hand - now I'm interested. Just please, don't water it down with a lossy codec!

17. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

They could be remixing this in part for use in the upcoming Wall tour if that actually happens. What's the latest on that?

18. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

No, I think you'd be all over a remixed stereo Wall album with an additional 22min. of music cut from it in 1979.

St. Troy likes this.
  19. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Interesting. I've sent an email off to Brain Damage to see if they know anything. I like the idea that it's for a Wall tour. Another possibility is a remix for a forthcoming blu-ray of the film. Maybe a Genesis style box set, with 5.1 mixes. Isn't speculation fun?

20. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I'm hoping it's a high res version. I already several different masterings of it and their all good....

21. sbsugar

sbsugar Representing Benton County since 2010

Wonder if Rob Trujillo and Mike Bordin are going lay down alternate bass/drum tracks, a la Ozzy...lol

22. Audio72

Audio72 Senior Member

Cool. Hope it's a 5.1 mix.

23. happy2behere

happy2behere Forum Resident

i know that guthrie is working on a blu-ray of the movie. and there will be a new discreet, hi res 5.1 mix of that.

24. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

There's your answer, FishBulb.

25. ymenard

ymenard Forum Resident

There is a lot of potential for something triple movie+album+live boxset

Are parts of the movie mixed in 5.1 for the music?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.