Pink Floyd RSD 2018 (mono Piper)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Mar 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dreams266

Dreams266 Forum Resident

I only know that the early stereo versions have the detail that this is lacking and it's not going to be night and day for music definition between stereo and mono as I'm expecting you may say next.

It's Felix likes this.
  2. Dreams266

Dreams266 Forum Resident

Thats great stuff. No I'm obviously just the only person who's ever heard an early UK version of this album. It's not terrible but it's not great

3. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

There seemed to be some one-sided conversation happening. I clicked on "show ignored content" and quickly realized who was missing from the conversation and why I had chosen to no longer view their posts.

Kristofa, Goldy and breakingglass like this.
  4. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

Jeez, sorry if I upset you in the past. Of course, you can't see this, so hoo-ah.

5. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

I read that they are doing the mono Saucerful for RSD this year.

6. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

yes exactly, when i have recut mono things i typically feel you do not press the mono button-

7. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I see you!! :p

8. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

AlienRendel likes this.
  9. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Both pressings are the same.

dkurtis likes this.
  10. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

Thanks. The only reason I did not assume they were - a Pink Floyd title (Wish You Were Here) had different mastering engineers listed for the 2016 US and European reissue.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  11. Norco74

Yes it was. Search for WYWH Doug Sax or WYWH Bernie Grundman.

dkurtis likes this.
  12. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

Thank you. I reworded my post to reflect your certainty.

13. Norco74

Oh!

I was wrongfully refering to WYWH 2016 and not PATGOD 2018.

14. Newscot

Newscot Forum Resident

15. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

Weighing in whilst way late to the party... just got this for a reasonable price still sealed... having never owned an original mono, I have nothing to compare this to but I am quite pleased... been a Top 5 record for me since the '80s as a teen when I had it in stereo on the Fame label... murdered many a brain cell to that reish... this one, I'll just enjoy!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  16. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

Enjoy! I have the Fame too. This mono version is one to treasure. A lovely pressing and no need to hunt an extortionate UK 1st pressing.

Man at C&A, Echoes Myron and YardByrd like this.
  17. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I just landed a copy by posting in the WTB section. $65 now seems like a steal when they’re going for $95 and up on Discogs and EBay. I’ve been reviewing all the different versions I own and actually find the 2016 to be completely stellar. I never hated the Nice Pair version (and still don’t) but there’s certainly a lot of bashing of that one. Ive always loved this album but even more recently probably it’s achieved absolute masterpiece status for me. Easily one of the best psychedelic albums of all time. Those who don’t “get it” perhaps need to listen closer and on better equipment.

18. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

My other records are jealous at how often I'm spinning the mono Piper LP. The turntable is like, "Wot, AGAIN?", and I'm like, "Shut up and spin, ya punk!" :laugh:

zinan, Buddybud, giantleech and 12 others like this.
  19. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Where are the folks who said this would easy and cheap to obtain once the initial RSD “mania” died down?

Hattipper and Jam757 like this.
  20. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

May I have some of what you're taking?

dkmonroe likes this.
  21. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

They all bought two copies.

Hattipper, Jam757 and fishcane like this.
  22. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Why didn’t I do that!? Come to think of it why didn’t I buy two copies of all the Beatles mono titles!! Doh!!!

23. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

Amen to that.

LitHum05 likes this.
  24. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I didn't follow Piper all that closely, but I did see the Saucerful mono LP get offered for extortionary prices pre-RSD, then fall back to near-list price at Discogs for weeks after RSD. There were literally dozens of copies for sale all over the world just on Discogs. So I think it's fair to say that prices do settle down in the first weeks after RSD and people are trying to unload their copies in a glutted market. But of course anything that is limited is going to rise in price years afterward when there are fewer copies being offered and still many people trying to catch up.

25. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

It's different for every album, though. I saw copies of Saucerful for weeks after RSD, but Piper was hard to find from the start and remains hard to find-slash-expensive.

Man at C&A and dkmonroe like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.