Pink Floyd RSD 2018 (mono Piper)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Mar 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Almost certainly not AAA. Availability after RSD with a different jacket is TBD.

My vote is it will be available after RSD with a regular jacket FWIW.

AlienRendel likes this.
  2. marcb

marcb Senior Member

The RSD release is a custom sleeve. So technically that doesn’t preclude it from being an exclusive - and a regular sleeve release coming after RSD.

3. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I agree but I don’t see how RSD Firsts help meet that objective.

4. mojomorrison

mojomorrison Forum Resident

Here is an unboxing video.

RiRiIII, hi_watt, andrewskyDE and 7 others like this.
  5. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

^ Pretty cool, pretty cool...:righton:

Hattipper and oldjollymon like this.
  6. I’d shave my head completely.[/QUOTE]

7. So the regular release will probably not have the poster or outer wrap.

johnsiddique and marcb like this.
  8. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Why? The cover itself looks identical to the in-print stereo edition. Why would they confuse the marketplace by releasing it just like that, without anything to distinguish it from the stereo other than a different catalogue number?

9. marcb

marcb Senior Member

The hype sticker - among other things - will distinguish it.

10. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Perhaps simply because some labels would opt out of RSD altogether if strict exclusivity were a condition for participating.
    Indeed, it doesn't make sense for some releases to remain limited editions.

11. You mean they can print a nice big round brite pink MONO sticker and slap it on front ?

That would distinguish it from the limited RSD version.

12. marcb

marcb Senior Member

If a few days or weeks of advance purchase brings some bodies into stores, I suppose it’s a minor gain. But only if there are limited “firsts”. If everybody did it...poof RSD.

Mazzy likes this.
  13. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Sweet lettuce !

14. DrewMeyer

DrewMeyer Forum Resident

I live around this store, I know where I'll be going RSD!

15. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

I'll be flying the morning of Saturday the 21st, it turns out. Oh, well. I've got the 40th Anniversary cd, at least.

16. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I dunno why but I half-expected that the cover would not be the fake reproduction cover style that they used for the stereo. Not a deal breaker though. The envelope looks quite stunning.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  17. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Actually I would prefer not to have to unfold some gimmick cover every time just to play the thing.

18. DrewMeyer

DrewMeyer Forum Resident

That fake-flipback cover on the reissues was a travesty and a deal breaker for me while looking for a copy of this album. Unfortunate they decided to continue that trend instead of making the real deal like the Beatles in Mono covers which look and feel fantastic. At least this one has the contrasting matte and gloss so it looks good from a distance.

Man at C&A likes this.
  19. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

I hate that origami cover and a poster is useless if it’s creased, a waste of paper in both cases. If I knew for a fact that the mono would be released later without the extra cover and poster, I would wait.

20. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

The poster looks like it’s the original photo that the back cover photo was made from. Pretty cool.

andrewskyDE, sathvyre and anth67 like this.
  21. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

:laugh:

22. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

Okay, since you obviously don't get it, let me explain it more clearly...

The narrative that Floyd have been pushing since 1968 ("Syd was doing crazy stuff so we had to fire him") is totally true at face value. But what they always fail to mention outright is that most of the stuff he was doing was deliberate, because he was pissed off, and not done out of pure craziness. That's why there is a bitter tone that runs through the narrative when certain band members speak about this era, rather than a sad and understanding one. Does this make sense? Take the "Have You Got It Yet?" incident for example...he was clearly riling up the other band members...nobody does something that dick-ish and deliberate out of "craziness". And it clearly worked...Roger put his bass down and "never played with Syd again".

It's easy to blame what happened on Syd being "crazy", but there is a lot more to it than that. And denying that is just as silly and ignorant as the "conspiracy theorists" and "Syd haters" you so despise.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  23. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

If the whole point of RSD were to offer overpriced collector's items to people who still shop at record stores it'd be gone already, as would many record stores. I'm not sure why people have a hard time realizing that.

24. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I understand what you're saying to the extent that you've expressed it. However, it remains unsubstantiated. I've asked you to provide sources for your position and you have failed to do so, rather you prefer to keep telling me "you don't get it" and trying to re-state your narrative. I'm not convinced.

rontoon likes this.
  25. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

Rob Chapman's excellent Syd biography "A Very Irregular Head" has an interesting portrayal of Syd in that period and makes a good argument that a lot of different things contributed to Syd leaving the band - record company demand for more hits, Syd's not wanting to play that game, Syd wanting the band to be more experimental rather than create pop singles, Roger wanting more control of the band, Syd being not completely well, etc. The other Floyd members were not involved in some Machiavellian conspiracy to oust Syd, but Waters wanted more control (as per his personality) and everyone wanted to keep rolling with Floyds success except Syd. The book also has some good evidence for the argument that Syd was not as severely schizophrenic as is commonly believed, but that nobody - not the band, his family, or Britains health system - had the right tools to deal well with the situation at that time and so everything made it worse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.