Pink Floyd RSD 2018 (mono Piper)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Mar 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wow, that looks pretty cool.

2. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

Wrong. You will be able to get it on ebay or discogs for a grossly inflated price on April 21st and the week thereafter. Afterwards, the price is going to drop and you will pay no more or only slightly more, if you do not have to have it on release day.

But no matter what you pay. You will pay much less than a beat up original will cost you.

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  3. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

I am excited for this release.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  4. davesmoked

davesmoked Forum Resident

Hopefully I'll get it :)

5. fretlessrich

fretlessrich Forum Resident

I'm expecting this will be same too.

6. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

Thanks for the information. So it sounds like there is almost no chance it will be all analog and reading the blurb it should be faily obvious that is the case I suppose.

marcb likes this.
  7. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

No chance that a band as big as Pink Floyd would let their 51-year-old debut album's master tapes out of the vault, even for a trusted engineer like Grundman to run through his gear simply for the benefit of a limited vinyl release? No... the 2007 digital mono version sounded fine anyway, and this is likely to be from the same high-resolution source transfer prepared by Guthrie and Plante

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    andrewskyDE, Paully and owsley like this.
  8. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

The launch language makes me think there might be a "regular" issue following, without the heavy vinyl and other extras.

marcb and PatBateman86 like this.
  9. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

Oops, that could be possible.

10. owsley

owsley Senior Member

The recent vinyl reissue of the stereo Piper was a huge disappointment with its high end filtering and some songs faded early. The Fame vinyl pressing is by far the best sounding and most affordable version of the stereo Piper IMO. I agree with your premise that the mono reissue will likely be from the 2007 digital master but I hope they don't ruin it with filtering like the did the stereo reissue.

11. fretlessrich

fretlessrich Forum Resident

Paully -- Just curious if you like your UK a nice pair (I know it's not mono...)? Fremer had nasty things to say about the US version (which is a different mastering I think). I've passed on the digital reissues.

12. FangfossFlyer

FangfossFlyer Forum Resident

For me this is great news and I definitely will be hunting down a copy.

Richard

rontoon likes this.
  13. tables_turning

tables_turning In The Groove

This is my concern as well. If the original Piper mono mix master tapes are at Abbey Road, why could they not be handed to Miles Showell so that he could generate a half speed mastered version? Now, that I would pay to hear.

rontoon likes this.
  14. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Same here. If they cut from the tape, I'll buy it. I'm not going to stand in line to maybe get a copy or pay stupid eBay money for a digital version. They should have done a PF in Mono box set with flipback covers exactly like the Beatles box with Sean Magee cutting everything.

15. Bluebair

Bluebair Well-Known Member

I know this, but I am wanting a remaster, I found the 40th to be straining to listen to.

16. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Hope so.

17. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Oh yeah. Half-speed mastering...that’s the ticket. If you buy into marketing BS.... :rolleyes:

Pelvis Ressley, Tommyboy and Neonbeam like this.
  18. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Wrong? A bit strong for a statement which really doesn't disagree with mine all that much. :confused:

19. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

HOLY #@%&! This looks great! I'll try to get two copies!!
    [Edit:] I love the cover. Actually it looks like art material for a Syd/Floyd box set.

Summerisle, giantleech and ODShowtime like this.
  20. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

I do! I don't know anything about alternate versions on it or whatever. It has been a while since I listened to it but I checked my discogs notes which said it sounded great. I specifially sought out a UK copy because people said it sounded significantly better. I haven't compared though.

fretlessrich likes this.
  21. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Well, if that comes, it won't be on RSD. I'm pretty sure that RSD stuff is all vinyl. But if they do a general release of the mono Piper (and it's at least somewhat possible that they will) perhaps a CD version will appear as well.

Bluebair likes this.
  22. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I have a needle-drop of the original mono release also, which was apparently ripped with Audio-Technica's AT33PTG (a stereo cartridge)... not sure of its provenance much beyond that, but it seems to have been folded into true mono at some point in the stream, possibly by using only channel of the cartridge's output. But the CD is a stereo transfer from the mono tape, with a little bit of extra image wobble at this point because of the overload saturation present in the source. When you fold both channels into one, however, the distortion cancels out somewhat. Perhaps that accounts for the discrepancy between them? I don't believe they deliberately added any distortion doing the digital transfer for CD
    I don't know if that's where the tape is or not, but Miles has done lots of half-speed masters from digital sources. If he had the high-res digital transfer from 2007, it's likely he would have mastered from that if they asked him to
    There was a wide-release 2CD Mono/Stereo jewel case edition in 2007, can still be picked up cheaply here:
    Pink Floyd - The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    kronning, rontoon and dkmonroe like this.
  23. tables_turning

tables_turning In The Groove

I don't consider it to be "BS", though I know some do. If there's truly nothing to it, why is Mr. Showell putting his time and effort into it?

24. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I paid €35 but I don't complain.

25. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

He's being paid very well to do so

Neonbeam likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.