Pink Floyd - The Division Bell (25th Anniversary)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry Horne, Mar 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

If I buy in a store and can visually check it right after purchase I should be able to see a difference in the width of the space before the grooves on each end, right? If it is off center I mean.

2. grandegi

grandegi Blind test maniac

I don't think so. The difference cannot be detected that way because it is small. When the record is off centre the grooves are not concentric, they are eccentric, and you can detect it as you watch the record while spinning. The stylus moves radially also. A sensitive ear notices a "wow" effect in sustained tones

LarsO and Floyd Crazy like this.
  3. grandegi

The second record is close to perfect, by the way (just few clicks at the beginning of side 3). Think I'll ask for a replacement hoping I'll get a perfect record (as @Floyd Crazy did).

4. grandegi

I'm having second thoughts about asking for a replacement from Amazon. If my copy is off centre it applies to the whole pressing run made using the same stampers: it's an incorrect press, not an issue related to an individual pressed record. Buying another copy of the record made from the same stampers means getting the same incorrectly pressed copy.
    I'd like to know if other folks who got the european pressing had off-centre issues on the first record, with matrices:
    • 2564629328-A RE3 TML-M BE49494-01 A3
    • 2564629328-B-RE2 TML-M BE49494-01 B2
    And this might apply to the 2016 pressing as well, as I gather it was made from the same stampers:
    Pink Floyd - The Division Bell

I don't know about US copies. Anyway, am I correct in assuming that european copies of The Division Bell pressed in 2016 and 2019 might have the exact same off-centre issue I encountered on the first record? And am I the only one who noticed this?

5. How much off-center are we talking about here? If it is just a small amount, it is easy to fix.

6. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

I'd be more concerned if there is a difference between the EU and US in terms of mastering rather than what is stated as a minor off centre issue that is more likely not impacting playback, cannot be detected by ear!

7. dreamletter

dreamletter Active Member

A great LP!

Floyd Crazy likes this.
  8. grandegi

I was wrong here: the issue is not related to the stampers themselves, it's related to their placement. So the 2016 pressing is not (necessarily) affected by the issue, as it's a different pressing. And I expect US and EU copies were not pressed at the same plant, so US copies might be immune from the issue.
    Not eager at all to enlarge the hole using a file (especially on a new record, that cost me €30).
    No differences in mastering and cut between US and EU copies that I'm aware of. Regarding playback: I sure can hear a pitch variation on the last track of both sides: the guitar solo in Poles Apart and especially the final keyboard chord in Wearing The Inside Out. Enough for me to be annoyed by this, this is a failed pressing to me. European buyers beware.

9. Gordon Johnson

I didn't buy this recently as I noticed the front blurb stickers claiming US mastering but the rear box stated EU manufacture.

So, was the metal parts supplied to the EU or was it recut [via digital file] in the EU?

If there is a noticeable sound impact from being off centre then I would not hesitate to exchange it.

10. grandegi

I have no idea, I don't even know the matrices for the US pressing.
    If I ask for a replacement copy on Amazon or even purchase a copy from another European dealer, I'll probably encounter the same off-centre issue on record 1, related to the pressing run that is currently available. And, being this a limited release, I don't expect a repress.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    Gordon Johnson likes this.
  11. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

Despite @grandegi ‘s warnings I bought the blue 25th in Copenhagen today. Will take quite some time before I can spin it but I will report back. I have been sensitive to off-centre pressings (actually only one that I remember) earlier.

The package was just so inviting..

grandegi likes this.
  12. grandegi

The package is wonderful. Look forward to your feedback. That final note in Wearing The Inside Out with the pitch oscillation bothers me so much.

13. Brian9229

Brian9229 Rushman

I have the same and mine also has a very slight 3= on side 2 under and slightly to the left of the first number in the deadwax which is 2. Mine is not off center at all. There's also one of those winged V's after TML-M on side 2.

grandegi likes this.
  14. grandegi

Thank you for your comment. So the US 2019 pressing seems to have the same matrices as the US 2016 pressing and is not affected by off-centre issue on record 1. Good to know

Brian9229 likes this.
  15. Gordon Johnson

So, are the stamper marks different between the EU and US for the recent set?

16. ScottInDallas

ScottInDallas Forum Resident

Just listened to the 2nd LP. Dead quiet and perfectly centered. High Hopes is honestly stunning. This is the first time in a long time that I can sit back and honestly say I'm blown away.

17. grandegi

Agree that the 2nd record sounds stunning and is quiet and centered. Unfortunately it's not the case with the 1st record (for me)

18. Bought this yesterday and I think this makes pressing #4 or #5. I'll check later today.

grandegi likes this.
  19. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

I have the US pressing. No issues. This set sounds amazing. I also have the 5.1 version. good to have options:)

Floyd Crazy likes this.
  20. Dre327

Dre327 Well-Known Member

Just received my European version and have the same matrix numbers that you have. Mine were not off center at all. I checked twice to make sure and my stylus was perfectly still.

grandegi likes this.
  21. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

My European pressing is also fine

grandegi likes this.
  22. grandegi

Thank you for your feedback. So my theory is not confirmed. There must be more than one pressing run.

Gavaxeman likes this.
  23. Floyd Crazy

Floyd Crazy Senior Member

My second EU copy was perfect played it 5 times now and it sounds quite, no issues.
    So much better than 1st copy I sent back to
    Amazon UK, floyd.

24. Gordon Johnson

Any chance we could have both sets of stampers, US / EU posted?

25. grandegi

Here are the matrices for the European pressing.
    Mine is 1st variant and first record is off-centre on both sides. @Dre327 has the same variant, as far as I understood, but first record is not off-centre.

1st variant
    • 2564629328-B RE2 TML-M BE49494-01 B2
    • 2564629328-C RE2 TML-M BE49494-02 C2
    • 2564629328-D RE2 TML-M BE49494-02 D2
    2nd variant
    • 2564629328-B RE2 TML-M BE49494-01 B3
    • 2564629328-C RE1 TML-M BE49494-02 C2
    • 2564629328-D RE2 TML-M BE49494-02 D2
    As far as I know "BE49494" means the records were pressed at Optimal Media, so I guess the US version does not have that.
    Who has the US pressing might post their version (I'm aware there's a ¯V¯ on both sides but don't know the details)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.