Pink Floyd The Early Years 1965-1972 -Anticip/ation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Jul 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

[​IMG]

2. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

All the talk about the fps on the bluray and not a peep about the audio format, bit depth and samplerates.

3. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Guys, we reached page 300! Time to switch to the Realiz/ation thread!!^^

4. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

The 2CD version it's now on Spotify!!

goodiesguy and andrewskyDE like this.
  5. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

Anything shot for British or European TV (which I understand is a fair bit) would have originally been shot at 25fps.

goodiesguy likes this.
  6. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I wish they had released a more comprehensive smaller compilation. Let's say, a 3 or 4-cd set, or something like that. I hope you don't have to wait long until those individual sub-boxes are released. And that's the reason why the compilation is only a double cd, of course. Anyway, there are some beautiful treats in this little damn teaser.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  7. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I can't find it, maybe it's not available for this part of the world yet.

8. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Hear hear. Can anyone tell us what audio format(s) is/are contained on the Blu-Rays?

9. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

Almost forgot! Hey, can someone who has the box please do me a favor and see if my name (Ron Fleischer) was listed in the credits somewhere? Maybe under the Thank You's or Archival Research?

10. Diego Lucas

The new Jugband Blues is awesome :goodie:

Natural E, Kalli and andrewskyDE like this.
  11. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Heard that mix on a special radio show few days ago. Indeed a great version!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  12. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I was just about to say that I prefer the original mix by a wide margin :laugh:

13. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

This thread will be dead soon anyway, as I'm sure everyone will move along to the Realiz/ation thread. I'll move along too, although my current delivery estimate is November 30th (although I got charged today, and it still came out to under $400, so it's worth the wait

Kalli and andrewskyDE like this.
  14. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Sounds good to me! Hope the wait is really worth it.

15. Diego Lucas

About Free Four and Stay, from the new Obscured By Clouds, yes, they sound really different, and sound great, after i need the compare this new version from the original.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  16. The odd phrasing used in the Facebook post announcing the "bonus CD", the PDF's listing the contents. Very clunky copy, and not what I am used to with Floyd related PR.

17. marigoldilemma

marigoldilemma Forum Resident

I'm still wanting to know if KQED audio is in sync with the video, because it was woefully out of sync in the unboxing video. Can some kind soul pop that disk in and check it? Thanks in advance.

18. Kalli

Kalli Forum Resident

One of my biggest surprises is the outstanding sound of Jugband Blues. Do we have a chance to receive the complete Saucerful album some day with such an upgrade or is this one from a different reel?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  19. Beatle Ed

Beatle Ed Forum Resident

Although American Bandstand was shot on video originally, the only copy left now is a transfer to film. So the filmise issue shouldn't apply to that particular clip as it would have been transferred direct from film surely (?). There are a few clips in the set though which SHOULD retain a video look (if things have been done right) as they still exist in that form. One is the colour French TV performance of Flaming in the circus big top tent ( forget the programme title offhand!).

All the talk about 1080p / i / 24/ 25 fps etc. is possibly making a simple query more complex than it need be though. So just to cut to the chase, the question needing to be asked is: is the French clip I mentioned above appearing filmised on this set or (if done correctly) still looking like interlaced video? Can anyone say for sure here?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
    goodiesguy likes this.
  20. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

All good points. Possible the lead vocal was not re-recorded at the January session but, fwiw, the recording session indicates it was.....could be, as you mentioned, that Syd was present at the 1/11/68 session and he and Nick re-recorded the lead vocal. I haven't dug into this in some time and am fuzzy on the details. The sfx were overdubbed on 20 Dec 1967 with Syd very much present.

andrewskyDE and Wyd Syatt like this.
  21. Rosscoger

Rosscoger Forum Resident

Yes they've been really good. I'm getting the replacement today. Fingers crossed.

22. Chris M

I hear it as well. A frustrating mix for sure. Disappointing but a thrill to hear all the same.

andrewskyDE and soniclovenoize like this.
  23. central616

central616 Forum Resident

I want to express my absolute disappointment (except for a few tracks) with the Cre/ation compilation. I will describe in detail track by track why I think such a thing:

Disc one
    1. "Arnold Layne" - This is the only and well known version of the song. Nothing new
    2. "See Emily Play"- Same as above
    3. "Matilda Mother" (2010 Remix) - This is outstanding. After listening to this, I don't want to hear the studio version anymore. Is the same version featured on "An Introduction to Syd Barrett".
    4. "Jugband Blues" (2010 Remix) - It sounds lifeless. Evidently they used some "hiss filter" that affected the sound integrity. Yes, in parts it sounds more "stereo" than the studio version, but this lacks fullness. Apart from this, is the same song featured on ASoS, don't expect nothing never heard before. It isn't the "play whatever you want" version.
    5. "Paintbox" - Single version, which is in mono. I already have "Relics", which has a very nice stereo mix. So, for me this is a step back.
    6. "Flaming" (BBC Radio Session, 25 September 1967) - Not an improvement over some circulating bootlegs on the web.
    7. "In the Beechwoods" (2010 Mix) - Another highlight. Despite being an unfinished track, it sounds fantastic and powerful.
    8. "Point Me at the Sky" - Single version. Only featured on the rare "Early Singles" compilation.
    9. "Careful with That Axe, Eugene" (single ‘B’ Side version) - Again, why they included the mono version when there is nice mix in stereo?
    10. "Embryo" (from Harvest Records sampler ‘Picnic’) - My judgment on this track is biased because the live version is so much better than this, so I will not go any further.
    11. "US Radio ad for Ummagumma" - Nothing. It's the final seconds of Grantchester Meadows (the fly death).
    12. "Grantchester Meadows" (BBC Radio Session, 12 May 1969) - All the 1969 BBC tracks are much better than the ones featured on known bootlegs. Still in mono, but very clean sound.
    13. "Cymbaline" (BBC Radio Session, 12 May 1969) -
    14. "Interstellar Overdrive" (Live, Paradiso, Amsterdam, August 1969) - Last minutes of a not very interesting live rendition of the song. The sound quality is outstanding
    15. "Green Is the Colour" (BBC Radio Session, 12 May 1969) -
    16. "Careful with That Axe, Eugene" (BBC Radio Session, 12 May 1969) -
    Disc two
    1. "On the Highway" (Zabriskie Point remix) - Alternate version of Crumbling Land. Only lasts 1:16.
    2. "Auto Scene Version 2" (Zabriskie Point remix) - Instrumental version of Country Song on harpsichord and acoustic guitar.
    3. "The Riot Scene" (Zabriskie Point remix) - Alternate but very similar version of The Violence Sequence (Us and Them) featured on the DSoTM Immersion Box.
    4. "Looking at Map" (Zabriskie Point remix) - Again, instrumental version of Country Song, but this has the same band arrangement.
    5. "Take Off" (Zabriskie Point remix) - I was expecting the "Omayyad" bootleg or the ZP outtakes bootleg version, but this is completely new, although not as good as the others.
    6. "Embryo (Alternative Version)" (BBC Radio Session, 16 July 1970) - I have a bootleg of this and sounds cleaner. Shameful.
    7. "Atom Heart Mother" (Live Montreux, 21 Nov 1970) (Band only) - One of the best band-only versions of the song. This mix is clean and stereo, although sparse at times. I still can't say I like it more than some bootleg versions I've heard.
    8. "Nothing, Part 14" - Absolutely boring. It is rightly called "Nothing". This is the instrumental part after the wind of Echoes, but very undeveloped. Happily the worked very had.
    9. "Childhood's End" (2016 remix) - I was expecting much more. The vocals are cleaner but the instruments doesn't sound as cohesive as the original.
    10. "Free Four" (2016 remix) - High frequencies are very loud, and the hand claps are more prominent. Don't like this mix at all.
    11. "Stay" (2016 remix) - Sounds a little bit cleaner than the original BUT the piano sounds like if it was processed through a compressor. Bad.

24. Chris M

Well said, without doubt Syd had a vocal melody and set of lyrics for Beechwoods in 1967. Sadly they exist only in the great tape vault in the sky along with She Was A Millionaire and the solo demo tape Syd made for Joe Boyd of his non-Floyd material, much of which ended up on Madcap, in early 1967....

25. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

I know what you're saying about the "new" sound on Beechwoods but all the same it sounds terrific to me. Apples, Vegetable Man, Scream, Jugband, Millionaire and Beechwoods would have been one heck of a great album side.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.