Pink Floyd - The Early Years 1965-1972 Box Set - Realiz/ation (Content, tracks, etc. ONLY!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Nov 2, 2016.

1. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

I don't think a half hour will cover all of those ~ I'm guessing AD and either one or two of the others, depending on length. Saucerfuls were running 20 minutes at that time ;)

Studio_Two likes this.
  2. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Hopefully people come together to get this released to the fans. It does no good to keep this stuff locked up. My wallet is ready. Again.

Joti Cover, andrewskyDE, Meng and 2 others like this.
  3. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Considering the article states that the same setlist was played at the Fillmore West show, we'll see. It doesn't actually state the time of the new material is exactly 30 mins, so it could be longer.

4. Kalli

Kalli Forum Resident

IO would be my highest demand. - Sometimes, when I think of all the left offs, mastering errors, too much highs here and bad soud sources there and what ever, I feel more and more deceived by this release. They really could have done a better job.

Six Bachelors and rnranimal like this.
  5. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

The article says Floyd played "the half dozen songs they'd performed for KQED's cameras, as well as other early favorites like 'Astronomy Domine'...."
    Clearly the article is first referring merely to the final/released one-hour KQED program. So we really don't know what other extra songs were performed, other than Astronomy Domine. (Which they wouldn't have listed after "as well as" if they'd been referring to the entire uncut KQED performance.)

6. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff Thread Starter

I deleted quite a few posts about the price of the box set. There is another thread devoted to pricing and shipping for those who want to bitch about having to pay for stuff that they already own on bootleg.

7. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Released in the UK fifty years ago today.

Play it loud tonight, it's a glorious noise.

8. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I still find it funny that this single was a flop. I mean, I like all of those early cuts, but this one for some reason sticks out at me in all its discordant glory.

9. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I dig apples and oranges. First time I heard it was "The best of the Pink Floyd" LP where it's in stereo.

The video from the fake grocery store was making me laugh yesterday.

10. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

What about the other way around? When I buy a bootleg, can I bitch about having to pay for stuff that I already own on an official release?:D

11. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

I only recently listened to the Pompeii 5.1 mix and I definitely like how he's spread it out across the channels. The things I would have told him if he'd asked me before it was released...

- Fix the distortion on the organ
    - Tune down the treble on the cymbals
    - Add some depth to the snare and other drums (if it's possible)

Hattipper and rontoon like this.
  12. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

Happy to report that longer version of studio Reaction In G surfaced which is almost 2o seconds longer than Beat Club source. In fact it surfaced as bonus item on Criterion "Blow-Up" reissue (!!!) as intro to vintage David Hemmings 66 interview

13. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

andrewskyDE, anth67, zobalob and 3 others like this.
  14. GP

GP Senior Member

Just wanted to stop and say Thank You for this. After decades of dealing with crappy bootlegs because I loved the show so much, then finally an "official" release, I thought that must be "it" for KQED.

I considered the KQED performance of "Atom Heart Mother" to be the "abridged" version all these years, but now I'm wondering if it was just edited for time. Maybe that's obvious, I don't know. The sound-effects sequence in "Cymbaline" seems to have been trimmed down considerably. Perhaps this was all planned out but it doesn't seem as if there was much time for that. But the audio from the Fillmore West show always had me wondering about the differences in performance.

15. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Don't know where to post this, so I write it here:

I read somewhere that Nick Mason was on Sirius recently (some radio show) having an interview there and said that he hopes to make Immersion box sets of some of the early albums.
    And the Early Years box set was 'just a test to see how it'd be received'.

I doubt this is accurate. Otherwise that would be a great surprise if that's confirmed.

16. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Main reason, I suppose, was lack of (or not big enough) promotion from EMI. No one noticed that single at that time.
    Sad actually. I love both songs on that 45!... Even Waters (still) thinks this is a great single.

Nick Dunning likes this.
  17. I'm sure Pink Floyd has considered an Immersion edition for Meddle. The tell was when they pulled that 5.1 mix included on early pressings.

18. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Would be great to get the new mixes in a proper way finally.
    By the way: Wouldn't that be a nice idea to combine a restored version of the Pompeii film with the Meddle album (plus session outtakes) in one box set!?

19. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

It was never considered for an Immersion box (only the BIG 3 were) and that's not why the 5.1 mix was pulled from TEY.

Hattipper, RPOZ51 and andrewskyDE like this.
  20. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Oh, wasn't it because the band members didn't give green light to the new Meddle mixes?

RPOZ51 likes this.
  21. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I kind of hope that's not the case. Seems awfully cynical to "test the waters" with your fans via a $350 plus box set billed as the final word on the early years of the band and then release more afterwards.

22. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Maybe he was testing Waters... :p

23. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I gather that doesn't take much. :laugh:

24. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I'd love well done Immersions of Piper and Saucerful. Hope it happens.

hallucalation and andrewskyDE like this.
  25. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

The only albums considered for Immersion boxes were the 3 that were released during the Why Pink Floyd campaign. The 5.1 mixes for both Obscured By Clouds and Meddle were pulled from TEY because Roger Waters was never given these to review so he didn't approve them being released. Communication gaffe between managements and we miss out.